Esteemed Contributor

Re: Quetiapine used in nursing homes

@september wrote:

Yes, my husband took this drug for dementia related issues.  He was taken off it when he was transitioned to medical cannabis, which may or not be legal in your state 

The OP's mother resides Italy.

Esteemed Contributor

My mother was a dementia patient for 14 years. She was never prescribed that medication. However, she was not an agressive patient either. She was mild mannered and friendly to everyone all of the time; very child-like and happy. 

Money screams; wealth whispers.
Valued Contributor

ll Re: Quetiapine used in nursing homes

[ Edited ]

Thank you all for your advice. The nursing home dr.said yesterday that Quetiapine is not sedative,but on mom's list of medications it was written that it was was extreme agitation.I requested an appointment with the psychiatrist.I had a meeting 1 month ago with 7 managers of the facility.The nurse said that mom wasn't sleeping when she moved there from a different facility.Then they changed meds and she got better.

After 3 months being there she stopped walking and talking,It coincides with the use of this drug.

I don't know if I am overreacting,The doctor seemed very annoyed at me.

Valued Contributor

Re: ll Re: Quetiapine used in nursing homes

Cannabis became legal here recently,in fact a few stores opened selling it. Now it is banned again.

I believe it would be better for my mother than drugs with so many side effects.

Valued Contributor

Yes,I am in Italy now for 10 weeks. My mother is in a nursing home here.I told the doctor I understand they have to give her something for dementia,I just asked if they can give her something with less side effects.

Honored Contributor

Please don't ever question a doctor about something you read "on the internet".  They hate that and it's with good reason.  Once you say "on the internet", they totally discount anything you have to say.  With good reason.  There's a ton of medical junk and mumbo jumbo and fabricated stuff on "the internet".   I like Drugs.com for basic drug information and of course, you can always get basic information for your pharmacist.  I checked Drugs.com and both those symptoms are classic side effects of that drug.  Which should put your mind at ease.  However, if you want discussion with the doctor; say that you understand the side effects but you'd like to discuss alternative medications.  Assuming that twitching and constipation even bother your mother.  They might not and her advanced age must be taken into consideration.  

Honored Contributor

@chrystaltree   I would question any doctor about anything that I researched on the Internet and tell them where I found the info if they asked.

I have several immediate family members who are doctors, physicians assistants and nurse practitioners.  Most of their information comes from the internet.

Doctors do not receive much training about medications.  They read publications and get info from drug representatives.  I have personally seen doctors pull out their iPad and look up a list of drugs that can be prescribed for certain conditions.

I do not care if it hurts their feelings if I question their choices.  We have to protect ourselves.

If I had any questions about meds, I would ask a pharmacist.  They are trained and experienced with drugs and chemicals.

I am allergic to codeine.  I have been prescribed this drug more than once when it is clearly in my records that I can't take it.  I have to always ask after surgery when the nurse comes in to hand me meds what they are.  We have to protect ourselves and our family members from mistakes.

Mistakes are fairly common.  Thousand of people die every year from medical errors.

Honored Contributor

@Bibione  I  assume you might be fluent in Italian? Have you gone to any  Italian websites to research this?

I did google  Quetiapine and Italy, and  I did see there was an  court injunction , over the use of  this drug..I didn't read it, but ,I think it might be helpful, to try some Italian forums and medical sites

Honored Contributor

@chrystaltree wrote:

Please don't ever question a doctor about something you read "on the internet".  They hate that and it's with good reason.  Once you say "on the internet", they totally discount anything you have to say.  With good reason.  There's a ton of medical junk and mumbo jumbo and fabricated stuff on "the internet".   I like Drugs.com for basic drug information and of course, you can always get basic information for your pharmacist.  I checked Drugs.com and both those symptoms are classic side effects of that drug.  Which should put your mind at ease.  However, if you want discussion with the doctor; say that you understand the side effects but you'd like to discuss alternative medications.  Assuming that twitching and constipation even bother your mother.  They might not and her advanced age must be taken into consideration.  

The information I provided comes directly from the FDA. There is a black box warning for this drug. Patients that are well informed often save their own life. 

Valued Contributor

Thanks for all your assistence. I lived in Italy til I was 34. I come to Italy every summer.I did read the Italian information already. It matches what the Fda is stating. I will talk to my cousin who is a nurse at the local hospital,where my mom was an obsetrician.

Also I will go to a local pharmacy where a friend works.

I need facts before my meeting with the nursing home psychiatrist.

On Monday morning I won' t be able to pick up my kids at the Venice airport. My mother has an appointment for her kidney cancer.

Goggle my hometown Bibione. It is a famous beach resort.Tourists come here from Germany and other eastern countries, including a few from Russia.