Honored Contributor

Re: Quetiapine used in nursing homes

[ Edited ]

@Bibione wrote:

Yes,I am in Italy now for 10 weeks. My mother is in a nursing home here.I told the doctor I understand they have to give her something for dementia,I just asked if they can give her something with less side effects.

I’m sorry about that.  It can be very helpful with sundowning, which often occurs in people with dementia.  Also helps with sleep. 

eta:  was responding to an earlier post about medical Cannabis not being an option in Italy at this time. 

Frequent Contributor

My husband developed paranoia during his battle with dementia. He was started on Seroquel when less dangerous antipsychotics failed. It was ineffective for his psychosis and only was sedating the first few times he took it.  He stayed at home with me until his death two years ago.

Have you ever witnessed your mom's extreme agitation? Moving her to an unfamiliar place could have caused that and her sleeplessness. Have they tried anything else? Are they using Seroquel as a chemical restraint? Please observe the level of care at her home and talk to the aides and housekeeping staff about the care levels.

You are within your rights to ask for information and changes.  I never met a doctor who liked having his orders questioned. You are your mother’s advocate. Prayers for you.

Honored Contributor

@Bibione 

Question everything!

You are the very best advocate for your Mom and yourself.

What is the Italian equivalent for Ombudsman?

That person can possibly intercede for you.

Ignore the physicians ire.

Best to you & your Mom.

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Honored Contributor

Often family members whose loved ones live in assisted living, don’t see the agitation.  It typically takes place later in the day ( thus, called sundowning), when we aren’t visiting. 

Where my husband lived, everything was very well documented, and I believed that he needed a later day type of medication for his own benefit, as well as to make his care more manageable for his caregivers.  Figuring out what that should be...is challenging. 

Honored Contributor

Re: ll Re: Quetiapine used in nursing homes

@Bibione wrote:

Thank you all for your advice. The nursing home dr.said yesterday that Quetiapine is not sedative,but on mom's list of medications it was written that it was was extreme agitation.I requested an appointment with the psychiatrist.I had a meeting 1 month ago with 7 managers of the facility.The nurse said that mom wasn't sleeping when she moved there from a different facility.Then they changed meds and she got better.

After 3 months being there she stopped walking and talking,It coincides with the use of this drug.

I don't know if I am overreacting,The doctor seemed very annoyed at me.

@Bibione    Please ask your Mom's doctors if her symptoms (not walking/talking) are signs of the progression of her disease, or not. 

If not, and she’s weaned off this drug and perks up, you’ll know your questions led to a positive result. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Quetapine has a black box warning which addresses use in elderly patients with dementia related psychosis. (United States). The warning states there is increased mortality in elderly patients with dementia related psychosis? It is also called Seroquel. I suggest you take a look at this before speaking about it with the doctor so you have enough information and understanding to help when asking questions. Another excellent resource is drugs .com. When on the site I also suggest not only reading information for patients but also reading the information for physicians and I also suggest using the “for more information” options for each section. Be aware that The uncontrollable mouth movements you describe are probably tardive dyskinesia. You can ask the doctor about this side effect and can find more information about the involuntary movements online. 

Here is the complete prescribing information on Seroquel.

https://www.accessdata.fda.gov/drugsatfda_docs/label/2013/020639s061lbl.pdf