Highlighted
Trusted Contributor

Questions about using a Rollator....

[ Edited ]

I've been having some mobility issues for a couple of years due to a weak lower back and muscle spasms.  This is all the result of allowing myself to become too inactive while dealing with an autoimmune disease that I have.  I saw my Ortho doc who sent me to PT.  I have started to do exercises at home, to strengthen my core and my back.

I have noticed that when I push a grocery cart, or push my grandchildren in a stroller, I can walk upright with very little discomfort and keep up a good pace.  Just that little bit of support helps in supporting my lower back.

Also, if I've been walking for while, my back will spasm and I need to sit for a few minutes.  Then I'm up and walking again.  Other than a little knee arthritis, I have no leg pain at all.  

My husband and I would love to do some traveling, but walking long distances is scaring me a little.  Life is too short to keep putting these trips on hold.  So, I've been thinking about getting a rollator.  

However, I'm feeling a little self-conscious.  I'm "only" 57, and I equate walkers with something my elderly MIL used.  I also feel that using one will seem like I've given up. That's the "STUPID" side of my brain talking.  The "SMART" side of my brain tells me that anything that gets me moving more will be a good thing.

So, if you use a Rollator, could you tell me your experiences.  Also, if you felt self-conscious about using one, how did you overcome those feelings.

"I've been here since October 2006. Wow!"
Honored Contributor

Re: Questions about using a Rollator....

@only shops online wrote:

I've been having some mobility issues for a couple of years due to a weak lower back and muscle spasms.  This is all the result of allowing myself to become too inactive while dealing with an autoimmune disease that I have.  I saw my Ortho doc who sent me to PT.  I have started to do exercises at home, to strengthen my core and my back.

I have noticed that when I push a grocery cart, or push my grandchildren in a stroller, I can walk upright with very little discomfort and keep up a good pace.  Just that little bit of support helps in supporting my lower back.

Also, if I've been walking for while, my back will spasm and I need to sit for a few minutes.  Then I'm up and walking again.  Other than a little knee arthritis, I have no leg pain at all.  

My husband and I would love to do some traveling, but walking long distances is scaring me a little.  Life is too short to keep putting these trips on hold.  So, I've been thinking about getting a rollator.  

However, I'm feeling a little self-conscious.  I'm "only" 57, and I equate walkers with something my elderly MIL used.  I also feel that using one will seem like I've given up. That's the "STUPID" side of my brain talking.  The "SMART" side of my brain tells me that anything that gets me moving more will be a good thing.

So, if you use a Rollator, could you tell me your experiences.  Also, if you felt self-conscious about using one, how did you overcome those feelings.

I can walk around my small apartment without a Rollator, but if I am going to any real walking, I must use my Rollator.  I can't stand for more than five minutes without sitting down, and that is because I have RA and severe osteoporosis in my back.  So a Rollator is a must for me.  Mine has a little seat to sit down and rest.

I'm not self conscious because I am already 77.  If I were 20 years younger, I would be self conscious.  But if that was the only way I could get around, I would do it.

Good luck!

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986
Super Contributor

I totally understand how you feel about the "stigma" associated with using an assisted device to get around. After my second cervical surgery in 2010 I had to start using a cane due to my balance being off because of all the damage to my neck and spine. The nerve damage in my right leg was already making it difficult for me to walk as it was and it got worse after having lumbar surgery in 2011 which left me using a walker/rollator (I have both) most of the time. Like you (OP) I do feel a bit embarrassed when out in public but it's either I use it because I risk falling flat on my face or don't leave my house. So here I am, 48 years old using a walker but I s*ck it up and do what I need to do for my own safety and try not to think about what anyone else thinks. As you said, life is too short to not enjoy it if you are able. 

Honored Contributor

If a Rollator would make you more stable and enable you to live a richer, fuller life, I'd say to heck with what people think and go rolling on my merry way.  The most you'll get is a casual glance and who cares about that?

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Contributor

I purchased one from QVC two years ago and it was a wonderful decision for me.  I cannot stand for very long without terrible back pain.  I got it to use on vacation.  The first time I used it, I was feeling like everyone was looking at me.  Guess what - everyone was pleasant and friendly and I could sit when I needed to.  One person wanted to know where I purchased it, so I told him and let him try it out.  It makes the difference of not going out shopping and antiquing and other fun things, or sitting at home.  I'd rather have fun!  People will not think unkindly of you for using one.  Get out and enjoy your life!

Trusted Contributor

Thank you for all of your comments, ladies.  I think I've talked myself into getting one.  I'm going to go to a medical supply store in the next week or so and test a few out.  

I guess it's no different than the cane I needed to use for a while, when I was in my 30's and sprained my knee.  I have a lot of issues with weak muscles.  And, hopefully, it will only be temporary.  If not, at least I'll be able to travel and sightsee without pain.

I also just got a Classical Stretch video, by Miranda Esmonde-White.  It's called "Aging Backwards" and has been featured on PBS recently.  She has some zero impact stretching exercises to strengthen the core muscles.  I'm hoping that will help, along with my other exercises.

"I've been here since October 2006. Wow!"