Honored Contributor

Re: Questions about rehab facilities after TKR

No one I know that has had it has gone to rehab DH's roomate when he had his hip surgry had s TKR and was heading home and not to rehab

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Honored Contributor

When my father had his done he was given the option but they told him if he went straight home that was it, he couldn't change his mind after a day.

He decided on the rehab facility but only stayed about 3 days.  He decided he had enough and went home.

Esteemed Contributor

@CelticCrafter   If I can go home there is no way I would change my mind later.

I have no desire to spend even 3 days with strangers.

My Dr. said being it's my right knee and no driving for awhile that I can get PT at home.  No worries about bothering people to haul me around.  I will need DD to take time off so I can do my post op visit.

Honored Contributor

My wife is having this done a week from tomorrow. I have read all the informative posts in this thread that gave me a lot of info to help my wife. I appreciate everyone that took the time to offer suggestions.

Seems like @CrazyKittyLvr2 is looking for specificity to meet her exact circumstances. My wife and I had many physical situations and we both were offered help from our relatives and several of our friends. Fortunately we were never both semi-immobile at the exact same time, even though a couple were just days apart.

I know from talking with my Ortho friend, who is doing her surgery, that everyone that has this surgery is different. There post surgery arrangements don't always fall into their specific plans. We have learned to adapt with each of our medical situations, which were sometimes learn as we go.

We both have always been very independent people, but never worried about asking for help, if and when it was needed. 

Thanks again for your experiences it gave me needed info which I otherwise would not have known.

hckynut

hckynut(john)
Esteemed Contributor

@hckynut  I too have always been independent.  DD does the grocery shopping but she likes doing it.  DS has taken over lawn care since DH died.

I hate, abhor and detest asking for or needing help. I don't mind being a helper to someone else but not a "helpee" lol.

Respected Contributor

@hckynut   Good luck to your wife....hope she has a speedy recovery.

Respected Contributor

I've known only 1 person who has gone to rehab after TKR. (and she had "other" issues)  It seems most patients are sent home within a day or two.

@CrazyKittyLvr2 

Good luck with your surgery and recovery.  I keep postponing the inevitable.  I think I've finally hit that wall.

Esteemed Contributor

@lulu1   That's why my knee is getting done.  I have no choice at this point.  And I hate not having a choice.

I put my hip off too.  Let me tell you, I had to go off my Meloxicam a week before surgery, no pain meds that could cause bleeding. Tylenol did nothing. I was in such pain the days before surgery, and the morning of getting to the car and into the hospita, I would have welcoming getting knocked out in the parking deck.

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@CrazyKittyLvr2 wrote:

Do you have a private room or a roommate?  Do you get meals in your room like a hospital or dining room situation?  Between therapy sessions can you just read or watch TV?  Do they keep bugging you like they do in a hospital?  Thanks in advance.

My 69:year old Aunt is just winding up rehab, after having 2 hip replacements two months apart. 

At her facility, you generally had a roommate. Private rooms were sometimes available, but, it's rare for insurance to cover a private room. Usually, if you could get one, you'd have to pay the difference.

Meals, they had the option of eating in their room, or the community dining room. They liked the patients to go to the dining room, for socialization, but, a lot of people don't and it's not an issue. 

Therapy, physical, occupational and speech therapy, whichever options, your Dr. wants you to have, are scheduled. Do be sure and participate. It's for your benefit, not to decline, unless you have a really good reason( too ill, for instance) and follow their advice, re: taking your pain meds, pre therapy, apparently it's very helpful.

Therapists did not bug the patients, they could pretty much do as they wanted  between sessions. I think they're very busy and fully booked. My Aunt did have one roommate, who was bad about trying to get out of therapy. The therapists would usually come in and see if she had changed her mind. Insurance takes a very dim view of patients who are in rehab, for therapy, but are non-compliant. They can and sometimes do, cancel your benefits and you'll be discharged.

In between sessions, the
 patients, could pretty much do as they

wanted, including participating in activities, if they were able. 

Rehab was enormously helpful for her. 

Esteemed Contributor

It's interesting to read the different experiences people have had with this surgery.   I had a right TKR a little over a year ago.   About 2-3 weeks into recovery, I developed horrible bursitis in the opposite hip.  It hurt worse than my knee ever did.  And it still does.   I go for injections about every 3 months to relieve the pain.  I was told this was NOT uncommon as the left side had to accommodate for what the right  was not able to do before my knee was replaced.  But my doctor required 3 days stay at the hospital in the re-hab area.   I had a private room and bath, t.v., could get room service 24 hours a day if I got hungry, etc.  Nurses would bring my meds and for the first 24 hours, I was not to get up without assistance.  They basically were just there in case I did fall.  My doctor required that I have a wheeled walker for use at home, as well as a cane for use after "graduating" from the walker.   Re-hab in the hospital taught me how to get in and out of a car, go up and down stairs and the exercises I was expected to continue on my own at home.  My therapist came twice a week for several weeks to my house.  I had a home health nurse who came one time before the therapist and arranged bandages, sterile gloves, etc. to be delivered to my home that I would need to care for my wound.  At the end of therapy, another nurse came to the house and removed my staples.  Do what you need to do to get yourself ready to come home after you are discharged.  Remove any throw rugs that may cause you to trip.  Be sure other items like shoes, books, etc. are picked up and put away.  If you have time before your surgery, you could prepare containers of soup, chili, etc. and freeze for quick meals after you return home.  Be sure you have staples in your pantry-teas, coffee if you drink it, or any beverage you can enjoy but not impair your recovery, crackers, snacks, etc.   My doctor also required that I drink high protein drinks-at least 30 grams of protein to be sure to promote tissue repair.   I don't know where you live but if you are in an area that gets bad weather early, have phone numbers of someone or some service to come clear your sidewalks and driveway if need be.  I was most concerned about infection-MRSA can be a real threat from this surgery so I also made sure I had plenty of toiletries, cleaning products and so on, so that I didn't have to get out to the store or be around people for anything for awhile.  I kept visitors to a minimum for the same reason.  They say it takes a year to completely recover from this surgery but you will feel much better way before the year is up.