Honored Contributor

Re: Questions about rehab facilities after TKR

It's unlikely you would need to stay in a rehab facility more than 3-5 days, @CrazyKittyLvr2.  The surgery has improved a great deal in the last 10 years.  

Do you have a walk-in shower and a shower chair?  Are your kids close enough to check in on you in the evening?

Respected Contributor

I would think it depends on your insurance.  Someone I know had a hip replacement and was discharged after two days.  Rehab was continued at home by visiting professionals.  This should have been explained to you before procedure was scheduled.  

~The only difference between this place and the Titanic is that the Titanic had a band.~
Esteemed Contributor

@tansy  I had my left hip done 14 months ago and it was a cinch.  Everyone says the knee is a different story.  And not in a good way.  My DD lives here and my son is 4 miles away.  Bedroom and bathroom are on the first floor.  I have a shower seat and other equipment from my hip surgery. DH built a ramp to the porch before my hip surgery.

Personally I think I would be perfectly ok alone.  DD leaves for work at 7:30 am and gets home about 6:30 pm.  Long commute.

Esteemed Contributor

@RoughDraft  All the whys and wherefores for my hip were covered at "joint camp" one had to attend.  I haven't had that fun day for my knee yet.

Respected Contributor

@CrazyKittyLvr2 wrote:

@tansy  I had my left hip done 14 months ago and it was a cinch.  Everyone says the knee is a different story.  And not in a good way.  My DD lives here and my son is 4 miles away.  Bedroom and bathroom are on the first floor.  I have a shower seat and other equipment from my hip surgery. DH built a ramp to the porch before my hip surgery.

Personally I think I would be perfectly ok alone.  DD leaves for work at 7:30 am and gets home about 6:30 pm.  Long commute.

I had TKR on both knees one year a part.  From what I've read above, it sounds like you're all set and will do fine at home, though your children should check in with you on a daily basis, even if it's just by phone.    Don't worry, you'll do fine!  You're already a seasoned replacement patient!  Smiley Happy 

Cinderella is proof that a new pair of shoes can change your life!
Respected Contributor

You will be fine on your own.  I had my knees done 9 months apart and was on my own for both of them.  I didn't want or need anyone to take care of me.  I live in a home with a ton of stairs.  Bedrooms are on the second floor, but the master bath does not have a stand alone shower.  That is on the third floor.  I was able to manage getting to all floors on my own.  I just made sure I told my PT that I needed to do stairs right away.....did one set of stairs the same day as surgery.  I was able to cook my own meals and wash my own clothes.  (washer and dryer in the basement, I got inventive with that one). 

You can do whatever you set your mind to.  If you go into this thinking you are going to be an invalid and need 20 days of in patient rehab, then you will. 

Good Luck, you got this.

Esteemed Contributor

@ciao_bella  Yeah, I'm seasoned alright.  This is the last joint I have replaced.  I don't care what else goes wonky, it's staying put. I refuse to do this a third time.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@CrazyKittyLvr2 wrote:

Thanks for the replies especially at this late hour.  I plan on coming right home, but in case my plan blows up I was curious.

I really, really don't want to go elsewhere.  I know I won't be happy there, especially for 20 days.  I don't want to put my kids out and have them use their vacation/sick time at work for me.  I am thinking if I need to hire someone for a few days I will.

If you are in a facility how is that putting your kids out of their routine?

You will have everything you need.

The physical therapy you receive there is very beneficial.

My suggestion is to stay as long as you can afford it.

Much of the therapy can be done on your own at home but it's not the same, don't shortchange yourself.    Now is the time to be selfish, it will benefit you in the long run.

If you decide not to go to a facility, someone will have to take you back & forth for outpatient therapy.    

Esteemed Contributor

@software  I'm sorry, my fingers got ahead of my thoughts.  I mean I don't want my kids to use their time if I come home.  I know what my plan is, but you know the old "the best laid plans" saying.

Respected Contributor

From what you have said I'm sure you will be fine going home.  I had my right knee done two years ago w/o any problems.  The physical therapist came to my house a couple of times a week and gave me exercises to do when she wasn't there.  I also used the local supermarket's food delivery service to get my groceries.  It worked out well. Good luck.