Super Contributor

Re: Questions If you have been to an optometrist lately

@Mindy D wrote:

If you have been to an optometrist which included eye health check, how did they sanitize their equipment? Especially the equipment that fits next to your face.

So funny you should ask.  I had this experience a year before this virus hit.  Had an eye exam and questioned the doctor because he did not wash his hands.  His response "I used hand sanitizer before I entered the room your steering wheel has more germs than my hands".  He did not sanitize his hands because I heard him leave the room next to me and enter my room immediately.  His assistant kept rubbing her eyes and then touched my cheek to put in eye drops.  I promptly got a stye a couple of days later.  I think this might answer your question.  Needless to say I never went back and I certainly will not go to a different one for quite some time.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

UGH!  I was past due when all this started.  Of course they are closed, and don't know when they will re-open.  I will not be one of the 1st back in the door either.  I too wonder how all of the equipment so close to your eyes can be a good thing?  Now if one has an emergency, or important can't wait issues, you have no choice but to go...Heart Smiley Sad

ETA ~ My 88 year old MIL has an appointment tomorrow for one of those shots in one of her eyes...I've worried about this all day today.Smiley Sad 

If you want to change the tenor of your interactions, you must become aware of the impact of your words...Karen Casey
Honored Contributor

My April appointment was cancelled by a robocall which said I would be contacted when appointments resumed.  I have glaucoma and don't dare miss an appointment.  My mother and her sister were legally blind from not keeping it medically supervised.  So, when my doctor becomes available, I will definitely go.

“You can’t wait until life isn’t hard anymore to be happy”. (By Nightbirde, singer of the song, It’s Ok)
Trusted Contributor

I took my 92 year old mother a week ago. We waited in the car until it was our time. They clean after seeing each patient. Everone had on a mask. All patients must wear masks. Expect a longer wait as everything takes a little longer to be safe. They asked her to wash her hands and cleaned everything before using it on her.  She has been having a problem that had to wait until the doctor felt it was OK to bring her in. I felt 100% comfortable. And I don't go out at all except the grocery store so I'm not out getting my hair done, etc. I am waiting awhile for that. 

Honored Contributor

DH goes to the optometrist adjacent to Costco; he has been really happy with him. Costco has now shut down their entire vision department. You would never even know it had been there. The sign on the office door is gone and the entire vision department is covered with what looks like drywall. Maybe it's permanent?
Honored Contributor

@lovesrecess wrote:
DH goes to the optometrist adjacent to Costco; he has been really happy with him. Costco has now shut down their entire vision department. You would never even know it had been there. The sign on the office door is gone and the entire vision department is covered with what looks like drywall. Maybe it's permanent?

Shoot, this is where I like to go. I need new glasses and was hoping to go there when things get safer. 

Respected Contributor

@TW wrote:

@Mindy D wrote:

If you have been to an optometrist which included eye health check, how did they sanitize their equipment? Especially the equipment that fits next to your face.

So funny you should ask.  I had this experience a year before this virus hit.  Had an eye exam and questioned the doctor because he did not wash his hands.  His response "I used hand sanitizer before I entered the room your steering wheel has more germs than my hands".  He did not sanitize his hands because I heard him leave the room next to me and enter my room immediately.  His assistant kept rubbing her eyes and then touched my cheek to put in eye drops.  I promptly got a stye a couple of days later.  I think this might answer your question.  Needless to say I never went back and I certainly will not go to a different one for quite some time.

I don't think I have ever had a physician or dentist wash his/her hand in the exam room in front of me. 

Regular Contributor

I went in March just 1 day before the shutdown. They cleansed everything with alcohol wipes, such as the retina machine that checks for glaucoma that I have to press my eye against. I'm fine.