Honored Contributor

Questions If you have been to an optometrist lately

[ Edited ]

If you have been to an optometrist which included eye health check, how did they sanitize their equipment? Especially the equipment that fits next to your face.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Questions If you have been to an optometrist lately

[ Edited ]

I cancelled my eye doctors appointment. No way am I letting anyone get that close. Even if the doctor wears a mask & sanitizes between patients. I'm just not comfortable.

Esteemed Contributor

Mine used alcohol wipes to clean the equipment both before and after use. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Just two days ago I rcvd an email from lens crafters (where I go for both exam & glasses). They outlined what they are doing for exams - sanitizing b/t each appt, how though not sure, cleaning/sanatizing all equipt b/t each, washing hands, but they never mentioned masks. I read through it to make sure I didn't miss that, but no masks not mentioned.

I was there in Dec so I'm good for some months. I am planning to pop in WITH mask on next Thursday to take a new pr of prive revaux frames to use for a new pr of shades, looking forward to gett this done.

Valued Contributor

@Mindy D  My husband went last week. He was worried that he had pink eye (covid symptom). Luckily, it was negative.
Everyone wore masks and tools wiped.

FYI This in Broward. 

Honored Contributor

I had my eye exam last week and I'm not worried about contracting anything.  My office was taking one patient at a time; you waited in your car until they came out to collect you.  Masks were required and they took your temperature before you were allowed inside.

Each piece of equipment was sterilized by one member of staff before you were allowed to even enter the exam room.  A different member did the preliminary exam and then the optometrist did the final exam.

I trust my optometrist and her staff to take all the necessary precautions.  I've been going there for years and she wouldn't put her patients at risk.  All staff were wearing gloves (disposed of after each treatment) and masks.

Respected Contributor

my son is an optometrist. Everyone in the clinic is masked, including pTients, he has installed plexiglass  behind all of his testing equipment. He has the latest in technology so he never gets his patients faces.

He bought a special sainting piece of equipment that his techs use to sanitize each room and all equipment. Patients sit at least 6 feet apart. He isles disposable gloves.

So far so good...he is being  very cautious.

Honored Contributor

Any time I've gone in the past all they have ever done is wipe what your eyes are touching with one of those small alcohol wipes - think what they use to wipe your arm for a flu shot.

If I HAD to go to one now I would insist on watching them disinfect or sanitize the equipment with something bigger than a postage stamp.

If I couldn't see them doing it then I would leave.

Honored Contributor

They've all been closed here, appointments cancelled and have not yet reopened.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Regular Contributor

I had to go Tues for a follow up visit from about four weeks ago and thank God all was fine.  They take your temp at the door.  All was sanitized and it was fine.  Everyone had a mask on.  If you have an emergency then you have no choice.  I wouldn't worry at all if you have to go, even for a routine visit.  I also had to go to the dentist the week before lockdown.  Don't worry.