Honored Contributor

Re: Question of Privacy and Hipaa

@geezerette wrote:

@software wrote:

You are being targeted, it's not random.   But there is a lot of information in the public domain, it didn't come from the doctor or insurance.   Your credit file for example.   There is a condensed version of your credit file that can be accessed by almost anyone.   I use to get all kinds of credit card offers in the mail, when I pull my credit file, I see where they have looked at it.   They can't see the entire file, just certain basic info.

Since I've turned 60, I can tell my "junk" mail has increased -- funeral homes, insurance companies, invitations to retirement seminars, etc.    They all go in the shred bin.   When I need THEM, I will contact THEM.    

@software

Boy, isn't that the truth?  (I especially resent the funeral homes--do they know something I don't?)

And when you turn 65 don't worry that the government doesn't contact you to let you know it's time to sign up for Medicare, you'll be flooded with notifications from every insurance company in the country months ahead of time!

If you really want an eye opener, pull a copy of your credit report and see who has been looking at it.

I did just that last month.  It was viewed by insurance companies, and banks and other companies offering credit cards.  Not companies I do business with, but companies looking to gain my business,

nothing is sacred anymore.

Honored Contributor

Rarely a week goes by that we don't get a pitch for a free hearing test from the local hearing aid places.  They used to buy info from the state's driver's license registry, and that must have included access to age.  I think this practice of selling info has stopped but some of that info is out there forever.  That might be why you are getting solicited, something that has nothing to do with Hipaa.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

In this world of technology, even the brightest of minds in our country don't have answers to privacy issues. If any type of data is stored/sent or received electronically? Forget your old definition of Privacy, it no longer exists. 

One need look no further than most any nightly National Newscast to know this exists, and has for probably a couple decades now. Many love their texting/FacebookTwitter, and this form of Social Media. Unfortunately with the good that came with technology, there always comes the bad.

Remember, even the President of the United States, has Top Secret knowledge divulged. I personally don't concern myself things I cannot control. I have probably a little above the average when it comes to electronic knowledge, but this is beyond even most experts in the field, so I just accept it as another change in my life over which I either except of spend time, that to me is wasted, looking for answers.

Note: I have volunteered for several studies over the years. Some were paid, some were not. I participated not only to maybe benefit myself, but possibly be a part of a study that may help many humans in the future.

My advice? I never give advice, just suggestions. I think this post itself gives you my view and suggestion.

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)