Esteemed Contributor

Re: Question, if polyps are found, when are they removed?

First colonoscopy at 54, seven polyps removed. Second at 64, five removed. Next one will be in three years. My sister had hers, no polyps, but they want her back in five years because "I" had polyps. Lol!

No act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted. - Aesop
Esteemed Contributor

Removed during the procedure and any other biopsies they think are a good idea are also done.  Gives you odd little sore spots that you feel when you twist or turn for a few days.  Not bad pain for me, just a knowledge of where each one was.  No bleeding I noticed.  Pretty much a non-event.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Mmsfoxxie wrote:

@hckynut, I can't imagine 15 colonoscopies!  You must have started having them when they were not as comfortable as they are now.  You go to sleep, you wake up and it's done.  

Many, many years ago I had a procedure where I was on a table on my knees and a tube was inserted, checking for a blockage which wasn't found.  That was not nice.  I don't remember if it was painful but I know I said I wasn't doing it again, lol.

@Mmsfoxxie

Unfortunately I have had 14 of the Colonoscopies along with 5 Double Balloon Enteroscopies(1 upper 4 lower), from 2008-2011. 2 of them were done without anesthesia, not the most pleasant thing I have done.

In 2008 finally found the bleeding with the lower Double Balloon. Lasered the bleeding part, but still had residual bleeding for 2 months and had Blood transfusions every 3 weeks. Started bleeding again in 2011 and round we went again. Once again 3 weeks in hospital. Not the whole story but enough to paint the picture.

Bleeding Right Colon that would never bleed during the procedures, thus more had to be done. The worst part was drinking the gallon of GoLyely or NuLytely before all 19 of these procedures. Even swallowed the Camera Pill, no results from it?

Now have 2 Titanium Clips holding that section of my Right Colon together. Am keeping my fingers crossed they they hold forever.

I had 2 tests similar to what you mentioned back in the 1970's. They were done with a Protoscope then and could not see your whole Colon. I pretty much bent over some type of waist high table and then "up it went".

In the hospital now for last 2 days. Heart issues again and had an Echocardiogram today and having a nuclear stress test tomorrow. If not enough info, will then do a heart Cath and go from there.

Nurse is here gotta go,

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

Good luck John!  Hoping for the best for you!

Honored Contributor

@hckynut.  Wow!  The most important point I can see from your story is that you are amazingly strong!  What's amazing, also, is how well you can remember your procedures and the terminology in such detail.  

Good luck to you through your current ordeal.

“You can’t wait until life isn’t hard anymore to be happy”. (By Nightbirde, singer of the song, It’s Ok)
Respected Contributor

@hckynut wrote:

@Mmsfoxxie wrote:

@hckynut, I can't imagine 15 colonoscopies!  You must have started having them when they were not as comfortable as they are now.  You go to sleep, you wake up and it's done.  

Many, many years ago I had a procedure where I was on a table on my knees and a tube was inserted, checking for a blockage which wasn't found.  That was not nice.  I don't remember if it was painful but I know I said I wasn't doing it again, lol.

@Mmsfoxxie

Unfortunately I have had 14 of the Colonoscopies along with 5 Double Balloon Enteroscopies(1 upper 4 lower), from 2008-2011. 2 of them were done without anesthesia, not the most pleasant thing I have done.

In 2008 finally found the bleeding with the lower Double Balloon. Lasered the bleeding part, but still had residual bleeding for 2 months and had Blood transfusions every 3 weeks. Started bleeding again in 2011 and round we went again. Once again 3 weeks in hospital. Not the whole story but enough to paint the picture.

Bleeding Right Colon that would never bleed during the procedures, thus more had to be done. The worst part was drinking the gallon of GoLyely or NuLytely before all 19 of these procedures. Even swallowed the Camera Pill, no results from it?

Now have 2 Titanium Clips holding that section of my Right Colon together. Am keeping my fingers crossed they they hold forever.

I had 2 tests similar to what you mentioned back in the 1970's. They were done with a Protoscope then and could not see your whole Colon. I pretty much bent over some type of waist high table and then "up it went".

In the hospital now for last 2 days. Heart issues again and had an Echocardiogram today and having a nuclear stress test tomorrow. If not enough info, will then do a heart Cath and go from there.

Nurse is here gotta go,

hckynut(john)

I hope they are able to determine whatever they are looking for quickly, and treat easily.  All the best to you.

Esteemed Contributor

@hckynut, John, wishing you the best with your latest issues! I know you are in good care . . . and you have proven your strength and resilience. (((Hugs))).

No act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted. - Aesop
Respected Contributor

@MaggieMack wrote:

First colonoscopy at 54, seven polyps removed. Second at 64, five removed. Next one will be in three years. My sister had hers, no polyps, but they want her back in five years because "I" had polyps. Lol!

What are sisters for???? insert evil laugh.gif

Respected Contributor

Polyps are removed during the procedure, then biopsied.

Honored Contributor

My dh had a couple of large polyps removed during the routine procedure.

Then he had to go back 6 months later to make sure they were not starting to grow back....thank goodness, no cancer and no regrowth.  He will go back in 1 year for another 'look see'.