Honored Contributor

Question, if polyps are found, when are they removed?

If found during a colonoscopy, are they removed then and there, or do you have to go back and get them removed? I don't think that was discussed in the other conversation we had in here on colonoscopy talk. If so, I missed it.

thanks!

Respected Contributor

Re: Question, if polyps are found, when are they removed?

My doc usually removes them during the procedure.

Honored Contributor

During my last colonoscopy, two or three very snall polyps were found and removed right then and there to be checked for cancer.  If I'm not mistaken, you sign papers to that effect beforehand.  Who the heck wants the doctor to have to go back in, lol.

“You can’t wait until life isn’t hard anymore to be happy”. (By Nightbirde, singer of the song, It’s Ok)
Respected Contributor

Removed and biopsy's are done. 

Esteemed Contributor

I had the same experience during a sigmoidoscopy.  They removed them when they found them, and the removal was totally painless.  The only discomfort was from the pressure that needed to be maintained as they are being removed.

Honored Contributor

If they are small the polyps are removed at the time. If they are large it may be necessary to schedule a separate surgery to remove the polyp(s).

Respected Contributor

Just had a colonoscopy two weeks ago, and two polyps were removed. Didn't have any bleeding or anything afterward.

A kind gesture can reach a wound that only compassion can heal. ~~ Steve Maraboli
Honored Contributor

No polyps were found in any of my 15 Colonoscopies. My Gastro doctors say they remove them during almost all these procedures.

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

@hckynut, I can't imagine 15 colonoscopies!  You must have started having them when they were not as comfortable as they are now.  You go to sleep, you wake up and it's done.  

Many, many years ago I had a procedure where I was on a table on my knees and a tube was inserted, checking for a blockage which wasn't found.  That was not nice.  I don't remember if it was painful but I know I said I wasn't doing it again, lol.

“You can’t wait until life isn’t hard anymore to be happy”. (By Nightbirde, singer of the song, It’s Ok)
Honored Contributor

That is really the main point to a colonoscopy, to remove any polyps before they can turn cancerous, it can take up to 10 years or more for a polyp to become cancer. My polyps were Hyperplastic, these would never turn to cancer, more like simple skin tags, some are called Adenomas, these will turn cancerous.