Honored Contributor

Question for those who had cataract surgery

I am going next week for my consultation/ measurement appointment.  I plan to have the BETTER more expensive  lense put in both eyes so I can see well without readers. 

Can I ask you who had this more expensive lense  used, how much more you paid per eye per lense over what insurance pays just for the plain lense...(Medicare ...whatever..,). I know it will be several thousand dollars and I am OK  with that.

Also, when they put the lens in...  and they pry your eye lid open...afterward, is your EYE LID swollen or painful or damaged in anyway?   That is my main worry.... 

Respected Contributor

Re: Question for those who had cataract surgery

I had no real problems with mine. There is no guarantee on the results, but I never had to use contact lenses or glasses since. What a blessing for me. I wish you as good an outcome with yours.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

I did not pay for the more expensive lens and can read anything without glasses.  Before the surgery, I read with progressive trifocals. I think since everyone's eyes are different, the experience will be different for each person.

No swelling or any problems for me.

The next time that I hear salt and ice together, it better be in a margarita!
Trusted Contributor

I had Trifocal lenses implanted in 2013.  Insuance didn't cover it.  It cost me $6,000. and was worth every penny!!  Each eye surgery (done separately) took a total of 7 minutes to complete.  I had no swelling or discomfort of any type.  Just had to use drops on a regular routine for many weeks.  I have perfect vision to this day and the implants were guaranteed for life.  I cannot recommend this surgery too highly.  Good luck!!

Honored Contributor

I only had cataract surgery done on my right eye.  I did not get the more expensive lens because it wouldn't work with my eye.  I need a special prosthetic contact lens due to an eye problem that  must be worn in my eye to smooth the cornea.

No redness, swelling or pain.  I went back to work the next morning at my desk job with no problems.  The worst part was the eye drops, only because I kept missing my eye and washing my face with them.

Regular Contributor

@SeaMaiden I am terrified and very queasy with anything to do with the eyes, and I had it done. They did mine one at a time and I had the more expensive lenses put in (I have to wear readers no guarantees, but don't need regular glasses to see) I was so scared and there was no pain or swelling involved, in fact I said to the nurse wow that was quick, she said it was 4 minutes. They put a gel in your eye and it took until the next day for it to wear off. The following week I had the next eye done.

Honored Contributor

I had cataract surgery in the morning and kept a dental appointment in the afternoon.  I figured as long as the morning was ruined I might as well make it a day.  Not much to cataract surgery nowadays.  You're quickly in and out.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Trusted Contributor

My husband paid $2500 for each eye for a special lens.  He only needs readers if the print is very tiny.  He had several choices of lens. You need to ask your dr. and he will explain them.  You will be slightly sedated but awake and won't feel any discomfort.

Honored Contributor

My understanding  was that if you paid for the more expensive lense, you did not need readers or glasses at all.   Why else would you pay so much more if this was not the case? 

Honored Contributor

I got the more expensive lenses over the summer but it only corrected near-sightedness. The lenses that corrected both near and far were not available at the time and I couldn’t put if off due to how fast growing they were. 

They don’t pry your eyes open that I remember. I am the biggest baby when it comes to that (it took me forever to master contact lenses) and I honestly didn’t feel a thing. I just remember looking at the colorful lights through this lens, almost like a long camera lens. And when they said they were done, I said Really?  I couldn’t get over how easy and non-stressful it was. 

You have to be diligent with the eyedrop régimen they give you and one of them burns but the other two didn’t. Just lots and lots of drops!

you will be amazed!