Valued Contributor

Re: Question for those who had cataract surgery

Interesting....On Call the Midwife last night they were showing one of the "Sisters" having Cataract surgery in the 1960's in London.  She had to be in the hospital and lay with sandbags alongside her head to keep perfectly still for about 24-48 hours.  OMG...I'm so glad to have had it done in 2018!!

@SeaMaiden @chlema  @patbz  @KatieB  @Gemspirit  

Trusted Contributor

@highmaintenancejan Can you imagine laying perfectly still for 2 days!  I remember my grandmother having this surgery and that was the proper procedure back then.  All I can remember is that she had to wear glasses that made her eyes seem huge and rather spooky.  Boy am I glad that we didn't have to go through all that.  Yay for modern medicine.

Valued Contributor

@chlema

Yes, I forgot to mention...they had those glasses on the show also!!!  WOW!!!  We are so lucky!!!!

Trusted Contributor

@highmaintenancejan  Yes, I just had cataract surgery. I remeber my father having it done around 1973. He was in the hospital for a week, completely flat and afterward had to wear a hard contact lens, anyone remeber those ?

Valued Contributor

@webbgarner1

Those are still in use!!!

Trusted Contributor

@highmaintenancejan   wow, Hard to believe anyone is still using the hard plastic type contact lens you put in and take out each day.  I had contacts for a while in my late teens early twenties and the were the first soft lenses that came out. You had to remove them daily, could not sleep in them and you had to boil them in a heaed unit , .I pair had to last a long time, Like a year or more.  You did not have disposible. 

Esteemed Contributor

I just got my second eye done today (so far easy peasy).  My Ophamalogist said that in the early days of cataract surgery they didn't replace the lens they removed, hence the food bottle glasses.  So glad I had my eyes done in 2018!

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

WOW!!!  I wondered!!

@patbz

I hope you are doing well!!  Keep us posted!!

Respected Contributor

@patbz wrote:

I just got my second eye done today (so far easy peasy).  My Ophamalogist said that in the early days of cataract surgery they didn't replace the lens they removed, hence the food bottle glasses.  So glad I had my eyes done in 2018!

@patbz

I do hope your recovery continues to go well.

This thread is of particular interest as I am having eye #1 done next week.

Valued Contributor

@lulu1

Good luck and please keep us posted as to your progress!!!