Honored Contributor

Re: Question for those who had cataract surgery

[ Edited ]

Hi @SeaMaiden,

Had both of my eyes done several years ago. I decided to go with a Multi-focal lens in my left eye, it was done first. Been wearing tri-focals for many years prior to this surgery. Could not read the newspaper print in the waiting area before surgery. Picked up the same paper on the way out, post surgery, and I could read the print very easily.

I decided to pay the $1750 out of pocket for that lens because my eye doc said I would be able to see all distances, including reading smaller print. He also said I could go for the Mono-focal lens for my right eye and would be just fine. So that is what I did with my right eye surgery.

Been years now and I have no problem reading even small print on my prescriptions or OTC print. Nothing wrong with either eye in relation to swelling. Very happy with my results and would do exactly the same again, worth every penny? Saved enough not buying new Tri-focals prescriptions every few years to already cover the $1750 cost.

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)
Highlighted
Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

I think I paid an extra $500-$1000 per eye and it was a year ago in August. 

Eyes were not swollen after the surgery. 

I find in low light, I need to use readers for small print. The reason being is that in low light, these lenses focus incoming light on distance vision (for driving) rather than close vision. In the eye doctor's office, where the light is excellent, I can read everything without readers.

No problem after the first lens, but the adjustment after the second implant (both eyes working in tandem) took about 2 weeks before I could work at my computer and see it relatively well. I was in tears, I was so frustrated. Down the road, I would have done it all over again. it really does take about 4 months for both eyes to work the way normal eyes work AFTER BOTH IMPLANTS. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

My DH did not get the more expensive lens because that wasn't an option for his eye issues but if he had they said $800 per eye. I would think it would depend on your specific eye problems.

There should not be swelling of the eyelids.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

How well one will see after surgery, with any of the available lenses, depends on how well they could see before cataracts developed. If a person didn’t need to wear glasses, or only needed glasses with a mild-moderate correction, then they are likely good to go with the progressive implants and see very well without glasses. But if a person was very nearsighted and has had a high/strong prescription to start with, even the progressive lenses may not be 100% perfect at all distances.

When I had surgery 3 years ago, in my area the lenses for astigmatism were $1400 out of pocket and the progressive lenses were $3700. The price depends very much on the going rate in the area where you live (and to a lesser extent, your surgeon). The Midwest, for example, may be a lot less expensive than either coast.

I had no swelling at all and minimal discomfort. I only even needed Advil the first 36 hrs.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Trusted Contributor

SeaMaiden,I am in S.C. and had one eye done.The cost was 1500.00. Medicare does not pay. It was worth the money. No  problems. My other eye was done several years ago. It was done the old way and Medicare paid. The problem (I think) the old way was having to place drops in eye twice daily. Nuisance. Also, with new method (Lasek) I believe I see better. Maybe my imagination. LOL BEST WISHES

Honored Contributor

Was dry eye an issue afterwards at all?  I read that some experience dry eye after eye surgery.

Honored Contributor

@SeaMaiden wrote:

Was dry eye an issue afterwards at all?  I read that some experience dry eye after eye surgery.

I don’t have medically diagnosed dry eye, but because I spent/spend so much time in front of a computer or TV screen or reading, I have long had some degree of dryness issues.

I will say that having the surgery has slightly increased this, to the point where I now use eye drops once or twice a day just to moisten, not special or heavy duty drops or anything major. But - I did notice a change after surgery, and it has remained. I suppose it could be a more major issue if you had diagnosed dry eye before surgery and surgery made it a little worse. For me it’s not a biggie, but yes, enough to be noticeable. Doesn’t affect my life in any way though.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Respected Contributor

Carmie a eye drop cup can be purchased at the drug store, its like a small cup ,like bowl that you place near your eye and the drops just roll in.Best way I would do it everyone wants to just close their on reflects.

Regular Contributor

I had both eyes done last year. Got what they call Accomodating lenses, which are flexible and are supposed to give the maximum range of use. I paid an additional $2600 per eye. 

I've now got more or less perfect sight for distance - they corrected nearsightedness completely. I do find that one eye is slightly better than the other. My only drawback is that I now need readers, although they are low powered ones. .75 for the computer and 1.0 for reading. A little stronger for tiny things. Some people don't need readers at all, it depends on the person. There is no way to know before surgery.

I had no swelling or issues with my eyelids at all. No pain or discomfort at any time. All the eyedrops for weeks were a nuisance, but I kept a schedule of what to put in when taped to my bathroom mirror.

Good luck with it, you'll be amazed at how much better your vision is.

Valued Contributor

My dh and just about all of my friends have had cataract surgery over the last several months.  I do sugguest you speak to your dr and have him address specific issues.  Every person is different.  The dr. highly discouraged the upgraded lens (for both near and far sightendness) for my husband as he said many people experienc halos.  This would turn me off right away.  As many have said on this board your results often depend on how bad your eyes were to begin with.  One friend who was severly nearsighted is borderline to still need glasses for distance but is opting to go with them.  Makes her more secure.  Others need nothing for distance, honestly most still wear a cheater.  My husband did choose the more expensive laser over knife as they do a second reading before they implant the lens.  That was his personal choice and he was told he would probably see no difference in the final product although it is a little more exact.