Honored Contributor

Question for those of you who track calories or points...

Do you plan out your day and write down your calories ahead of time, or do you track them after meals?  

I've always been a planner, but in this case, I find it kind of depressing to write them down ahead of time.  

I'd appreciate it if you could share your methods.

Thank you.

~ house cat ~
Respected Contributor

Re: Question for those of you who track calories or points...

@house_cat  I don't need to do that anymore, but when I was in my 30's I had needed to watch my weight.  I first had a good idea of the total calories I wanted to eat for the day.  I always had a general idea of what I'd be eating that day, so I just kept a running total as the day went along.  That was a real eye opener for me to see how many calories I was consuming.  When I got nearer to the total number, I automatically slowed it down so I wouldn't go over.  I can't imagine actually writing all that down ahead of time.......kind of depressing to do that IMO.

Laura loves cats!
Esteemed Contributor

I am on my 74th consecutive day of tracking food on My Fitness Pal. When I first started, I planned the day by entering what I planned to eat. After a week, I developed a good sense of how I was doing and just entered it after I ate. When I am out and about, lunch may be entered late but I know what to order in a restaurant or I take a food item with me such as a protein bar. It is easy for forget that little item that crosses your lips if you don't enter it soon after eating.

**************** "A black cat crossing your path just means that it is going from one place to another." Proud owner of a black cat and a shopper of QVC since the merger with CVN.
Super Contributor

I never write ahead of time what I'm going to eat for the day.  However, I do keep a running list (on a piece of paper) of the calories I'm injesting (just the calories not the food I'm eating) so that I don't eat too much for the day.  Otherwise, I'll gain weight which I seem to do easily.  lol

Honored Contributor

I've been at it for 60 years.........I can count calories "in my head" (!!!!)

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Honored Contributor

I exercise daily so never felt the need to count calories just try to eat well and exercise and enough for dessert. I love sugar.  The only thing I do plan is if an event or holiday is coming up I will increase time each day and intensity of exercise and delete a few things from my menu so no guilt going into the event.  I do not like making up for something  by having to do more exercise much prefer planning for something.  That motivation of extra gravy on my Turkey really gets my legs going.

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Highlighted
Honored Contributor

In wW we can go in on line and do it.  I prefer I think to write it down and be able to go back and see what I might have done for a loss or gain.  Also, I think what I do is, write down what I plan to eat and check it off as I have the food.  That's real easy.

Honored Contributor

Whether you track calories or points or carbs; you should always plan all of your meals and snacks for the day and make sure you have all of the supplies and ingredients to prepare those meals and snacks.  Preparation is key to weight loss, you cannot successfully lose weight without a plan.  Honestly, I can't figure how one would count calories or points AFTER you eat them.  

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

I use My Fitness Pal.  It tracks calories for me based on what I eat.  

I basically eat the same thing for breakfast and dinner every day, so I know how much I'll have left for dinner.  

It also tracks my steps.  I keep track of my water and exercise on the app too.  It's a very handy app.  It graphs out weight loss/gains too. 

To answer your question, I have a set amount of calories that I need to eat per day.  I just deduct as I go along through the day.  

Honored Contributor

I dont count calories. If you follow a Clean Eating program you dont have to  Smiley Happy  Makes things so much easier!! Smiley Happy Plus you get to eat alot of food and you wont gain, you will lose weight!

Faith is the strength by which a shattered world shall emerge into the light. —Helen Keller