Respected Contributor

Re: Question for those 60 plus

Awww thank you seamaiden...I try. No they don’t and I think it’s because I’m conditioned to it, I have never been overweight, I dont run long distances and Im kind of slow. I usually run an 11 minute mile. Most runners do between 6 and 8.  But I have no need for speed or to increase the distance. At 62, this is just fine for me.  

Honored Contributor

@bmorechick wrote:

Awww thank you seamaiden...I try. No they don’t and I think it’s because I’m conditioned to it, I have never been overweight, I dont run long distances and Im kind of slow. I usually run an 11 minute mile. Most runners do between 6 and 8.  But I have no need for speed or to increase the distance. At 62, this is just fine for me.  

@bmorechick  Not everyone has bad joints...like you My DH is 64 and none of his joints ever hurt him.  Neither of his parents had joint issues either.

..and here I am someone who had bad joints starting in my 30’s....and end up with  two hips and two knees replaced by age 58.  Much of it is genetics I am sure.  

Honored Contributor

I don't like to lay totally flat without a pillow or 2 as it makes me feel dizzy --- I have a lot of vertigo issues.  Also, when rising from a prone position, I have to do it slowly or will get dizzy.  When I am down on the floor I have to use my hands to get up. Alll fun things which have happened to me since getting older.   

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Respected Contributor

I understand- In my late 40's I bought one of those Pilates Reformers that is raised off the ground..It was expensive and an investment ot be sure, but I dont know where I would be without it!

The gentle, yet seucre stretch I get helps me be able to move-  , too have abad back, in fact, I once had a fractured spine after being hit in a crosswalk!

Motion is lotion, as they say, and now that I am 60, I realize that more and more.

Mine also has a tiny trampoline at the end for a cardio workot which does not stress my joints.

Next itme you see Marjolean demonstrate this, take a close look- I am sure there are even better ones out today!

Not sure if I got it here on on HSN... I think it was here...

I also own Lori Greniers back arch "stretcher" (mentioned above) which is also great to have for those days when I really overdo  it

Good luck!

Respected Contributor

There are exercises you can do against the wall for back stretches @SeaMaiden...with replacement parts, I would be very cautious about the kinds of exercises you do.  I have been wanting to do Tai Chi for balance, flexibility, etc.

Honored Contributor

@Justice4all wrote:

There are exercises you can do against the wall for back stretches @SeaMaiden...with replacement parts, I would be very cautious about the kinds of exercises you do.  I have been wanting to do Tai Chi for balance, flexibility, etc.

@Justice4all  Yes me too on the Tai Chi.  Since I am not a go to class person....I am going to get a DVD.

Esteemed Contributor

@SeaMaiden, don’t forget to check out YouTube.  There is an entire treasure chest of exercise routines you can try.  I love YouTube!  LM

Esteemed Contributor

@SeaMaiden, I can get off of the floor without assistance but I choose not to be on the floor.  With all of the injuries that I have from working out, my physical therapist told me that the only reason that I would be on the floor was if I fell.  

I just started a class called Functional Fitness, and the instructor, who is also a physical therapist and teaches Cross Fit, also says that we need to stay vertical and that there is no reason to be on the floor.

I realize that many on this board will be critical, but when people in the medical field advise me, who has had so many injuries, to stay off of the floor, I listen.  Two of my favorite classes were Barre and Body Combat, where we were on the floor for at least half the class.  I no longer do that.  

Keep in mind, this is just my experience.

The next time that I hear salt and ice together, it better be in a margarita!
Respected Contributor

@bmorechick wrote:

Wow I think thats amazing!  I hurt too much to do any running...but can do the elliptical instead.  May I ask how many miles per week do you run??  At 54 I am WAY behind you...I think 11min's for a mile is terrific....I am more like 15 on the elliptical.