Esteemed Contributor

Question for posters who wear hearing aids

In reading Halfpint's thread, I noticed that we have quite a few posters who wear hearing aids and seem to be happy with them.  As someone who probably has hearing aids in my future (not there yet), I'd love to know what kind you have - in the ear, outside the ear, features, etc. Also, where did you purchase? 

I've had several family members who were not happy with their hearing aids, so they didn't wear them.  Also, I have a pixie haircut, so I can't imagine that the devices wouldn't show unless they were inside the ear. 

Guess I'm worried to spend so much money on something I'd end up not liking.  These boards are always such a great source of personal experiences so I thought I'd ask.

"Breathe in, breathe out, move on." Jimmy Buffett
Honored Contributor

Re: Question for posters who wear hearing aids

I'm 71 and got my first set at Costco some years ago. About a year ago due to a bit more hearing loss, I needed new ones. Same brand. The brand is Bernafon.

Mine have the small receiver behind the ear (not very big, the receiver not my ear!) and the small ear piece goes in the ear.

I personally wouldn't care if they did show! I *think* that even with a pixie haircut these would do fine.

The newer set is much better PLUS it has a remote so that I can adjust the volume level. I love that. I honestly don't recall the price.

Maintence is easy, batteries are inexpensive. And Costco is great to deal with.

My domes on the earpiece need changing periodically but because they are much smaller on this pair than the old one, I just go to the hearing center at Costco and they do it for me, plus they do a cleaning.

I'm very happy with my experience. I'm sue you'll get a lot of helpful info here.

Honored Contributor

my ENT has a hearing center associated with their group. I have in the ear custom fitted. It all depends on your hearing loss and lifestyle. Audiologist will discuss options. Cost includes lifetime batteries, free device check / cleaning every three months, wax guards, reprogramming I’ve used same ENT and audiologist for about 13 years. Get annual hearing testing and evaluation. I was referred to ENT by my PCP.
Honored Contributor

Want to add ...

When it comes to anything re my health and ability to see, hear, etc, ... I will always get the best I can afford that will meet my needs. I’m not going bargain hunting.
Honored Contributor

For my first set of hearing aids I went to an Audiologist. I bought ReSound. I was very pleased with them. We are talking about 8+ years ago and I paid $5,400.

Then a few years later I decided to get a back up pair of hearing aids. I went to Costco. I paid $1,999 for 2 hearing aids. They were Rexton. They were not nearly as good as the other hearing aids but look at the difference in price.

I could no longer get the ear piece that I broke for my ReSound hearing aids. So I use the Costco ones. But since I retired I rarely wear the hearing aids. When I go out with friends we usually go out to eat and we are all sitting and facing one another. I have no trouble hearing and understanding every word. 

My next set of hearing aids I am going back to the audiologist. I want to hear clearly if I am wearing hearing aids not just have the noise level amplified.

Honored Contributor

I can actually hear so-so without the aids but things are rather muffled and not as clear as I need. I am happy with the hearing aids I've gotten at Costco. I can go in anytime and they will do the cleaning which is good.

I was given a kit with them to clean them but it's difficult for me so they do it. Happily the store is less than 10 minutes from home.

There's something out there for everyone. I do sometimes take them out just "because".

Honored Contributor

Oh dear, may I very gently and very lovingly mention a little thorn in my side when it comes to using hearing aids. PLEASE DISREGARD AND DO NOT CONTINUE READING THIS IF YOU MAY BE OFFENDED............

MANY of us wear glasses, and do not feel compelled to hide them or feel embarrassed by needing them. 

That being the case, WHY OH WHY do we wish to deny, conceal, hide, obscure the fact that we use assistive devices to increase our ability to listen and understand and enjoy SOUND??

A commercial on our local TV at present TRULY implies that the mom, with very short hair, was amusing to her daughter when she couldn’t understand what daughter was saying!

Why do people address the idea of eye care and using glasses to improve vision as a necessity while denying themselves the ESSENTIAL life skill of HEARING??

Does anyone seriously think that hearing aids are SO DISFIGURING that they will be stigmatized in some way if they choose to wear them? 

Consider- is it REALLY BETTER to have to keep saying “Excuse me? I didn’t hear you.... Would you repeat that please etc etc etc” than to wear a device that allows you the potential to hear something said THE FIRST TIME??

Hearing aids are HORRIFICALLY EXPENSIVE, and little if any insurance coverage is offered, so frequently people have to settle for devices that are less than optimum. Diagnosis of hearing disorders is often slipshod. Not everyone is willing to fight this battle until the optimum device is found. Add EMBARRASMENT about attempting to solve a tragic and serious problem.

OK, stepping off soapbox. PLEASE- Just think about it if you are willing to deny yourself the help you need to preserve one of life’s most precious gifts.

Honored Contributor

@Love my grandkids wrote:

I'm 71 and got my first set at Costco some years ago. About a year ago due to a bit more hearing loss, I needed new ones. Same brand. The brand is Bernafon.

Mine have the small receiver behind the ear (not very big, the receiver not my ear!) and the small ear piece goes in the ear.

I personally wouldn't care if they did show! I *think* that even with a pixie haircut these would do fine.

The newer set is much better PLUS it has a remote so that I can adjust the volume level. I love that. I honestly don't recall the price.

Maintence is easy, batteries are inexpensive. And Costco is great to deal with.

My domes on the earpiece need changing periodically but because they are much smaller on this pair than the old one, I just go to the hearing center at Costco and they do it for me, plus they do a cleaning.

I'm very happy with my experience. I'm sue you'll get a lot of helpful info here.

@Love my grandkids I AM SO GRATEFUL TO YOU FOR POSTING!!!

YOU ARE MY HERO-FOR-THE-DAY!!!!!

Esteemed Contributor

If you wear a hearing aid, please wear it regularly; like your glasses. It helps prevent further hearing loss from what I understand from friends. 

As another poster mentioned, I would also go through an ENT, rather than shop by price, if in need of hearing aid(s). Hearing (like eyes) is too important to risk by trying to save money. Check with your PCP for a reference.  

Money screams; wealth whispers.
Contributor

I love my hearing aids. You don't hear that statement often. I forget I'm wearing them. They are worn 24/7 and removed only for new replacements about four times a year. They are 100% invisible and placed inside the ear by my audiologist. Clear natural sound and hassle free. I shower and swim with them. They are volume adjustable with a remote device. Lyrics by Phonak. A bit pricey but for a good day of hearing, so worth worth the costs.  They are like disposable long term contacts but for the ear.