Super Contributor

Re: Question for fitness experts

On 6/19/2014 KittyLouWhoToo said:
On 6/19/2014 fitnessfreak said:

Please drink plenty of water.

I, too, have been doing "mixed muscle" and interval training since the early 70's.

Some days I go outdoors for long runs.

Other days I do shorter/faster runs.

I also jump-rope. I exercise w/free weights/machines a couple times a week. (using lighter weights w/frequent reps. to avoid building muscle mass.)

using heavy weights will bulk you up--lighter weights tone your muscles.

I am no expert--but did go through USMC bootcamp and also taught a class for women at the "Y" how to work out w/free weights.

Do not do the exact same thing every work out. You will plateau and stop seeing results. MIX IT UP and have fun!!

This is FALSE FALSE FALSE.

I wish this old wive's tale would die already.

It keeps so many women from training effectively.

TOTALLY AGREE. The idea that women can build huge muscles by lifting heavy weights is a complete fallacy and kind of ridiculous.

OP, if you are looking for fitness information, a message board for a shopping channel is not the best source. You should be doing a mix of exercise that includes both cardiovascular and weight-bearing work. Most women do entirely too much cardio. (Also, if you're trying to lose weight, that has a lot more to do with what you eat than what you're doing exercise-wise.) I highly encourage you to check out books by Lou Schuler and Alywn Cosgrove, who do a great job of dispelling a lot of these ridiculous fitness myths, and also provide excellent guidance. Another good source is a website called Lean Bodies Consulting.

Good luck!

Respected Contributor

I wouldn't worry about the sweating. Do a search and see what range your heart rate should be for your age. Keep in that range with a heart rate monitor is you are afraid of overdoing. Slow down if your heart rate gets too high.

Lots of treadmills have heart rate monitors built in them. If you don't have one, I'd buy one.

Honored Contributor

I, too, have been doing "mixed muscle" and interval training since the early 70's.

I also jump-rope. I exercise w/free weights/machines a couple times a week. (using lighter weights w/frequent reps. to avoid building muscle mass.)

I am no expert--but did go through USMC bootcamp and also taught a class for women at the "Y" how to work out w/free weights.

Do not do the exact same thing every work out. You will plateau and stop seeing results. MIX IT UP and have fun!!

The key to weightlifting is to use the maximum amount of weights that will tax your body
at 10-15 reps.

I now carry 200 pounds "farmer's walk" style - 8-12 laps of the gym. I feel sore the next day, but that is actually your muscles recovering and building strength.

Deadlifts are great for both weight bearing AND cardio. My trainer thinks it's just about the perfect exercise.

Honored Contributor

On 6/19/2014 fitnessfreak said: using lighter weights w/frequent reps. to avoid building muscle mass.)

KittyLouWhoToo: I TOTOALLY AGREE!! This is my biggest beech when I see/hear/read this asinine myth. It does not...never has...never will hold water. If one thinks they're ""bulky""? Greater than zero chance it's the 'kitchen fat'...body fat...that's making them 'bulky'. SMH.

OP: Sorry we're off topic... back to regularly scheduled programming!

Respected Contributor

On 6/19/2014 terrier3 said:
On 6/19/2014 Knitgirly said:

Sweating is healthy, you a pushing your body a little further aerobically and that will strengthen it! Sweating also releases toxins! GO!

ITA.

I work out with a trainer twice a week, weightlifting and XFit. I sweat a lot more now.

He's says that is a good sign, my body is adjusting to intense exercise. He is getting a PhD in physical therapy, so he knows what he is talking about! He gave me the in-depth reason for sweating more...but it was mostly over my head in complicated details.

Another thing...it's better to increase the intensity of your exercise than the duration.
Too much repetitive motion with your legs and knees can lead to trouble. I was so excited with my FitBit Zip, I increased my morning treadmill session to 5 miles at a 10% incline - 3.8-4 MPH. After two months, my knees started hurting when I was deadlifting.

I now have taken my trainer's advice and do no more than 45 minutes on the treadmill at intervals. I go as fast as I can until I'm winded, then slow down until I catch my breath. Not only is this easier on the knees, it actually burns more calories.

45 minutes on a treadmill? Way too much time! At least for me. I do high intensity intervals on the treadmill & spend less than 25 minutes with weight lifting interspersed. ie; off the treadmill, of courseSmiley Happy

Everyone has to find what works for them. Hope it's working for you. 30 day shred. Check it out. The first poster has posted good information.

Honored Contributor

The key to weightlifting is to use the maximum amount of weights that will tax your body
at 10-15 reps.

I now carry 200 pounds "farmer's walk" style - 8-12 laps of the gym. I feel sore the next day, but that is actually your muscles recovering and building strength.

Deadlifts are great for both weight bearing AND cardio. My trainer thinks it's just about the perfect exercise.

2-5 for strength (most people stay away from singles, due to the potential for injury)

6-10 for hypertrophy

12-15 for endurance

And your sets vary, too, depending on how much volume you want in your program. Most of my weight workouts are 30 minutes, and I always work as heavy as I can for that 30 minutes. If I'm going low rep (5) I rest 3 minutes between sets (for ATP replenishment), medium reps I'll rest 2 minutes between sets, and if I'm going for endurance I'll generally rest 1 minute between sets. If I'm doing tabata intervals, then of course, I follow the tabata protocol.

I also have a 30 minute workout program in which there are about 6-8 exercises, all of which are done for 30 seconds on, 30 seconds rest, continuing for 30 minutes total.

There are many variations and it's good to switch up your programs every 4-8-12 weeks, depending on your goals/recovery/progress.

I agree with your trainer about deadlifts. They are a mainstay in my workouts, have been for years. They are PRIMO for developing posterior chain strength which most people lack, given how we live our daily lives. You want a great back? Do deadlifts. You want a strong core? Do deadlifts. You want a great butt? Do deadlifts. I could go on and on, but suffice it to say that deadlifts, done correctly, are perhaps the most important strength training exercise.

I also swear by snatches, but not many people do those or have the patience to learn. They are a superb all over conditioning exercise.

P.S. I am a certified trainer, so I'm not just talking out my behind here (plus I've trained heavy for over 30 years and still look like a lady) {#emotions_dlg.laugh}

Honored Contributor

On 6/18/2014 granddi said:

I usually do my treadmill 3.8 mph for 30-35 min. I just don't sweat much with exercise , heat, etc. I am trying to get my work out to 4.0 mph for 45 min. As I am increasing my workout intensity and duration...

I think your plan for increasing intensity & duration is good! See how fast you can go! I used to walk to Kathy Smith walking tapes...and she had you going 4.5-5.0 @ times! If you're really interested, check out Speed Walking...amazing to watch...they seem to 'float' above the road!

Everyone posting will believe what they do is perfect...me too! I like to blend above Anaerobic Threshold work (intense, speed/power) 20% of my workouts w/ long 60-90 minute workouts at Anaerobic Threshold for 80% of my workouts. Our heart is a muscle that's needs training...hard to get that training in 30 minutes. If you're like me, it takes me a good 20 minutes to warm up! You're on the right track, though. Report back!

Honored Contributor

at 10-15 reps.

up to 5 reps for strength (most people avoid singles due to the greater potential for injury)

6-12 for hypertrophy

12-15 for endurance

All three should be mixed up, depending on your goals. I have many workouts where I do 5/5 (5 reps/5 sets - with between 3 and 5 exercises). If I am doing Fives, I rest 3 minutes between sets, 6-12 reps I'll rest 2 minutes between sets, and for endurance work I'll rest one minute between. I get as much volume into 30 minutes as I can. I never weight train over 30 minutes per workout.

I have some workouts where I'll do 8-10 different movements for 30 seconds each, 30 seconds rest between, following a revised type of Tabata. And some days I tack on a strict tabata interval. Mixing it up is a good thing. Changing your program every 4/8/12 weeks, depending on your goals/progress/recovery is important.

I agree with your trainer about deadlifts. Deadlifts (traditional and variants) are a mainstay of my workouts and have been for over 30 years. You want a great back? Do deads. You want a great core? Do deads. You want a great butt? Do deads. I could go on an on, but deadlifts, done correctly, are absolutely one of the best exercises you can do for overall fitness.

As are snatches, which I love to do, but which require a different skill set and I have found (teaching them) that many people have trouble learning them or do not have the patience.

Honored Contributor

I agree with your trainer about deadlifts. Deadlifts (traditional and variants) are a mainstay of my workouts and have been for over 30 years. You want a great back? Do deads. You want a great core? Do deads. You want a great butt? Do deads. I could go on an on, but deadlifts, done correctly, are absolutely one of the best exercises you can do for overall fitness.

As are snatches, which I love to do, but which require a different skill set and I have found (teaching them) that many people have trouble learning them or do not have the patience.

We do snatches and clean & jerks too. You are correct in that they take a lot more coordination and skill. They are aerobic too when done properly.

Tabata adds the aerobic element to weightlifting, IMO (I know I sweat a lot more!)

Honored Contributor

On 6/19/2014 sidsmom said:
On 6/18/2014 granddi said:

I usually do my treadmill 3.8 mph for 30-35 min. I just don't sweat much with exercise , heat, etc. I am trying to get my work out to 4.0 mph for 45 min. As I am increasing my workout intensity and duration...

I think your plan for increasing intensity & duration is good! See how fast you can go! I used to walk to Kathy Smith walking tapes...and she had you going 4.5-5.0 @ times! If you're really interested, check out Speed Walking...amazing to watch...they seem to 'float' above the road!

Everyone posting will believe what they do is perfect...me too! I like to blend above Anaerobic Threshold work (intense, speed/power) 20% of my workouts w/ long 60-90 minute workouts at Anaerobic Threshold for 80% of my workouts. Our heart is a muscle that's needs training...hard to get that training in 30 minutes. If you're like me, it takes me a good 20 minutes to warm up! You're on the right track, though. Report back!

You don't want to lift heavy for over 30 minutes per workout. Diminishing returns after that. Now, I see many in the gym spending way longer, but you will notice that they rest way too long between small moves like bicep curls or tricep extensions. You know, the guys who sit around and bs between sets for 10 minutes. {#emotions_dlg.laugh}

The older I get, the longer I take for warmups. Since I lift heavy and want to continue to do that for the rest of my life, God willing and the Creek Don't Rise, I do a lot of yoga and stretching for warming up, targeting my hips which tend to tighten up and my shoulders (which are, after all, our most vulnerable joints). My warmups take 20 minutes (sometimes longer, depending on how tight I am) and I always end with 30 minutes of yoga.