Esteemed Contributor

Re: Question for Medicare People

@151949

I believe your last sentence says it all.

Honored Contributor

I had my doctor before I was eligible for Medicare.  Our routine continued just as it always had, no questionnaires or intrusive tests.  I've always gone in every 3-4 months and had blood tests due to medication I take which requires monitoring.  Nothing changed with Medicare. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

@BalletBabe wrote:

@noodleann wrote:

@BalletBabe wrote:

@noodleann  That don't work for me because they think a colonoscopy is necessary.  I DO NOT, AND WILL NOT HAVE IT DONE.    I am so not getting flu or phenumonia shots either.   I haven't been sick for 16 years.  I do my labs and my Mammogram and they always do the BP weight etc.  Go over all meds.  Until I have a problem, I am not interested.

Last Phenumonia shot I got my arm swelled and I could not lift it for two weeks.  He told me that was a reaction.  Now for some reason, that is not important.   Last year I broke out in hives after the flu shot.   I am done.  No more. 

I had an unpleasant reaction to the first pneumonia shot I got, too, but my doctor was concerned about my tendency toward infection and wanted me to get another a few years later. She ordered the "baby shot," which is given to children. Didn't feel it and didn't get sick for the two days afterward as I had before. I prefer the shot to having pneumonia.

I've had documented influenza twice. It is very frightening because you get sick so quickly, and I ran a very high fever and just could not wake up. A friend had to drag me to the ER. Took months to fully recover my energy. If you ever get it, you may change your mind, and hopefully by then they'll have a flu shot formulation that agrees with you.

If the doctor feels a colonoscopy is necessary, I'm assuming it's because of something in your personal or family history that suggests there's an increased risk of colon cancer. Or if you did an occult test and it came back positive, that's another reason. What's not justified, IMO, is screening based on age alone. That isn't "necessary." But you didn't specify.

If, though, there are serious reasons for the doctor wanting you to have this test and you still refuse to get it, you could expect the doctor to release you as a patient and refuse to see you in the future. It doesn't sound as if you'd mind, but be aware that getting another PCP may not be easy.

@noodleann  No colonoscopy is recommended for everyone at age 50.  I have no problems and no family history of it.  I guess I feel this way.  None of us are getting out of this world alive.   I could schedule a colonoscopy and get killed driving there in my car.  We never know.    I know 2 people that died having that test and I will never do it unless I am having a problem. I feel this is my body and it is my choice.  I love my Dr.don't get me wrong, but I think so much is done because they are so afraid of getting sued.   

According to the American Cancer Society, a colonoscopy is recommended for everyone at average risk for colon cancer beginning at age 50.  If there are no polyps another one is recommended in ten years.  https://www.cancer.org/cancer/colon-rectal-cancer/detection-diagnosis-staging/acs-recommendations.ht...  I just had my second one.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

@BalletBabe

My new PCP accepts AARP Secure Horizons administered through United. 

This is managed medicare and the provisions are the same as plain medicare.

The doctor bills United and doesn't have to mess with filing thru the govt. cost is the same.

My doc said Medicare compliance requires patient interview including specific questions. (one is "have you used street drugs)

~Have a Kind Heart, Fierce Mind, Brave Spirit~
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@BalletBabe wrote:

@noodleann  That don't work for me because they think a colonoscopy is necessary.  I DO NOT, AND WILL NOT HAVE IT DONE.    I am so not getting flu or phenumonia shots either.   I haven't been sick for 16 years.  I do my labs and my Mammogram and they always do the BP weight etc.  Go over all meds.  Until I have a problem, I am not interested.

Last Phenumonia shot I got my arm swelled and I could not lift it for two weeks.  He told me that was a reaction.  Now for some reason, that is not important.   Last year I broke out in hives after the flu shot.   I am done.  No more. 

@BalletBabe

I had a colonoscopy and the worst thing was the prep.....went without a hitch and I wasn't even drowsy....and thankfully no issues, BUT my sis had a whole different experience.....she is allergic to certain types of anatesia, and something happened with her procedure which made the whole thing a very difficult experience....then the doctor had the nerve to charge her for an additional office visit to read her results and he was located on the other side of town...she refused to do that and just waited until her regular doctor's visit, and since they sent her doctor a copy, her doctor gave her results---which were AOK! She said the report was also on the doctor/patient website (looks like the doctor wanted to make a little extra money there) We have a friend that is a nurse and she said she refused to have a colonoscopy---she fees it's just a money maker.....

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@BalletBabe wrote:

@Q4u wrote:

@BalletBabe wrote:

What is the purpose of this Welcome to Medicare exam.   Seriously???

"The "Welcome to Medicare" physical exam is a one-time, preventive physical exam Medicare covers within the first 12 months that you have Medicare Part B. The visit will include a thorough review of your health, along with education and counseling about the preventive services you need, like certain screenings, shots, ..."

https://www.medicare.gov/people-like-me/new-to-medicare/welcome-to-medicare-visit.html

It's just a general evaluation/physical exam by your doctor that is fully covered by Medicare.... kind of like a baseline evaluation at the time you're starting Medicare.  No biggee and you're probably getting a yearly exam anyway....  Woman LOL 

Thanks for the information.  Seriously wewent over all of this stuff today.  He made the comment to me that it gives him a better grade.  In other words they like the Dr to do this.    That is his problem.  He has all the informtaion you just mentioned.   Then he said someting about a ekg and ultra sound.   I don't think so.  Till I have a problem leave me alone.   Those tests are not covered according to AARP under the wellness exam.  I am not sure what he is trying to pull.   $$$$$$$   I had a full blood work done last week and he went over all results which were all good. 

@BalletBabe

If you have AARP that explains it, they are part of the "food chain" in health care----translation---follow the money$$$$,  and they are against changes that will put healthcare back with the patient where it belongs (patient decides what tests are necessary etc).....research AARP and see....they received 1 billion in insurance profits, and another 1.8 billion that it generated from its business interests.....check out in Forbes website....cant say more it would be deemed political which isnt allowed on this forum.  All I can say they be more of an advocate for themselves instead of seniors...

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Esteemed Contributor

@Moonchilde   That is my point.  We had a new patient visit 6 years ago.  He knows all of my history and my family.  He knows what tests etc.  It is a waste of my time, so that Medicare gives him a good grade    I had enough of sitting in Dr's offices with hubby.  I just need a break from Dr's.   THe funny thing is the insurance didn't make it sound like they could care less if I have this or not.  It is something that is offered but not required. 

Esteemed Contributor

@LTT1 wrote:

@BalletBabe

My new PCP accepts AARP Secure Horizons administered through United. 

This is managed medicare and the provisions are the same as plain medicare.

The doctor bills United and doesn't have to mess with filing thru the govt. cost is the same.

My doc said Medicare compliance requires patient interview including specific questions. (one is "have you used street drugs)

@LTT1   Medicare does not require it.  I called and asked.  Maybe your does but mine said it is not required.  Besides that my Dr knows I have never used drugs.  He is very very on top of things and he never forgets what you tell him.  I do love my Dr. BUT that don't mean I want to visit him a lot  LOL 

Honored Contributor

@Spurt wrote:

@BalletBabe wrote:

@Q4u wrote:

@BalletBabe wrote:

What is the purpose of this Welcome to Medicare exam.   Seriously???

"The "Welcome to Medicare" physical exam is a one-time, preventive physical exam Medicare covers within the first 12 months that you have Medicare Part B. The visit will include a thorough review of your health, along with education and counseling about the preventive services you need, like certain screenings, shots, ..."

https://www.medicare.gov/people-like-me/new-to-medicare/welcome-to-medicare-visit.html

It's just a general evaluation/physical exam by your doctor that is fully covered by Medicare.... kind of like a baseline evaluation at the time you're starting Medicare.  No biggee and you're probably getting a yearly exam anyway....  Woman LOL 

Thanks for the information.  Seriously wewent over all of this stuff today.  He made the comment to me that it gives him a better grade.  In other words they like the Dr to do this.    That is his problem.  He has all the informtaion you just mentioned.   Then he said someting about a ekg and ultra sound.   I don't think so.  Till I have a problem leave me alone.   Those tests are not covered according to AARP under the wellness exam.  I am not sure what he is trying to pull.   $$$$$$$   I had a full blood work done last week and he went over all results which were all good. 

@BalletBabe

If you have AARP that explains it, they are part of the "food chain" in health care----translation---follow the money$$$$,  and they are against changes that will put healthcare back with the patient where it belongs (patient decides what tests are necessary etc).....research AARP and see....they received 1 billion in insurance profits, and another 1.8 billion that it generated from its business interests.....check out in Forbes website....cant say more it would be deemed political which isnt allowed on this forum.  All I can say they be more of an advocate for themselves instead of seniors...

Many people over the years have come to the conclusion that while it's true and obvious that AARP is one huge lobbying organization, they're not necessarily lobbying for what a lot of people think they're lobbying for. AARP is definitely political, but it has been through administrations led by both parties. I came to the conclusion years ago that I find them creepy as an organization and belonging is of no benefit to me personally.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Esteemed Contributor

@Spurt wrote:

@BalletBabe wrote:

@BalletBabe

I had a colonoscopy and the worst thing was the prep.....went without a hitch and I wasn't even drowsy....and thankfully no issues, BUT my sis had a whole different experience.....she is allergic to certain types of anatesia, and something happened with her procedure which made the whole thing a very difficult experience....then the doctor had the nerve to charge her for an additional office visit to read her results and he was located on the other side of town...she refused to do that and just waited until her regular doctor's visit, and since they sent her doctor a copy, her doctor gave her results---which were AOK! She said the report was also on the doctor/patient website (looks like the doctor wanted to make a little extra money there) We have a friend that is a nurse and she said she refused to have a colonoscopy---she fees it's just a money maker.....

@Spurt  I agree with her 100%.  Unless your having issues or a wicked family history, to me it is a racket.  Trust me thay are making a lot off of it.   I know 2 people that died having the test and a few that had a very bad experience such as your sister.