Re: Question for Medicare People

@BalletBabe wrote:

@Carmie wrote:

@BalletBabe wrote:

@Spurt wrote:

@BalletBabe wrote:

@Q4u wrote:

@BalletBabe wrote:

What is the purpose of this Welcome to Medicare exam.   Seriously???

"The "Welcome to Medicare" physical exam is a one-time, preventive physical exam Medicare covers within the first 12 months that you have Medicare Part B. The visit will include a thorough review of your health, along with education and counseling about the preventive services you need, like certain screenings, shots, ..."

https://www.medicare.gov/people-like-me/new-to-medicare/welcome-to-medicare-visit.html

It's just a general evaluation/physical exam by your doctor that is fully covered by Medicare.... kind of like a baseline evaluation at the time you're starting Medicare.  No biggee and you're probably getting a yearly exam anyway....  Woman LOL 

Thanks for the information.  Seriously wewent over all of this stuff today.  He made the comment to me that it gives him a better grade.  In other words they like the Dr to do this.    That is his problem.  He has all the informtaion you just mentioned.   Then he said someting about a ekg and ultra sound.   I don't think so.  Till I have a problem leave me alone.   Those tests are not covered according to AARP under the wellness exam.  I am not sure what he is trying to pull.   $$$$$$$   I had a full blood work done last week and he went over all results which were all good. 

@BalletBabe

If you have AARP that explains it, they are part of the "food chain" in health care----translation---follow the money$$$$,  and they are against changes that will put healthcare back with the patient where it belongs (patient decides what tests are necessary etc).....research AARP and see....they received 1 billion in insurance profits, and another 1.8 billion that it generated from its business interests.....check out in Forbes website....cant say more it would be deemed political which isnt allowed on this forum.  All I can say they be more of an advocate for themselves instead of seniors...

@Spurt  You are correct.  I hate to tell them, but if they are going to irritate me, I will be looking for another plan at the end of the year.   Thanks for your input !  Appreciate it.  I had forgotten abut them in with the ex President.   I do think the Dr's are making out good with all of this as well.  The nurse told me my Dr. hates doing these because it takes time away from sick patients.   

If he was a new Dr. and didn't know me that would be different.  The only thing he don't have is a EKG.   I just saw him this week.  So I was blown away when he wants to do this in June.  Then when I call ins. they say you have a year and it is not required.  I think snowbirds are not here so lets drum up some business for the Summer.  :0/

This doesn't sound like an AARP problem to me.  It sounds like someone has a HMO Medicare Advantage Plan.  All HMO's are like that.

I do not have HMO  and I never will.  It is a PPO, so I can go to any Dr as long as they are in networt. 

Smart lady, I prefer PPO's too.

A PPO does not rate or control doctors, but HMO's do.  They really control the doctor's and push their hands.

Honored Contributor

@151949 wrote:

@CelticCrafter wrote:

@Carmie wrote:

@151949 wrote:

AARP is not an insurance company --they do act similarly to an insurance agent in that they do the research about many companies and chose to recommend those who they believe to be the best choices for their members.They also educate their members about many things of interest to seniors like medicare and supplements and advantage plans, or about reverse mortgages or paying for skilled nursing care or how to find an investment broker. These are things that are important to seniors & which many people don't know anything about  - but need to. They also recommend companies to help you save money or make better purchasing choices like electronics as seniors generally are not highly knowledgeable about these topics. I bought my first Tracfone on the recommendation from AARP.  When I retired I lost my life ins. as it was connected to my job - I called AARP and got an affordable policy. We orginally joined AARP when we each turned 50 so we could buy LTC insurance - we have a great policy at a very reasonable rate thru Met Life because of AARP, who not only recommended this policy & sold it to us but first educated us about this policy and what all it covers by sending us a video and inviting us to join in an online tutorial about it. OMG they do so much more than just sell insurance - first and most important - they educate you about it first. You are well aware of the good & the bad before you sign on the dotted line. When DH retired we wanted to find a broker to move our IRA to - & they sent us information about how to go about finding someone and what to look for & ask when you first interview him.

I don't think they research insurance companies  to recommend good ones for their members.

They recommend insurance companies that they are contracted with to line their pockets.  The companies they do business with are good, but not any better than most others.

I have found that the information they offer is out there everywhere.  I got a free subscription to AARP for one year.  The magazine was nice, but I didn't learn anything I already didn't know.

i didn't pay to renew.  There was nothing there for me.  Most of what they publish is common sense.

And all for the cost of a one year membership, you can be buried in junk mail for the rest of your life.....

I don't know where you get that - I have been a member of AARP for 18 years and have bought life , health and LTC ins thru them - and I get exactly 2 pieces of mail a month - the magazine and another publication both of which we enjoy reading. Seeing as how I should be their target person, since I have a history of buying ins from them, I think it is odd I don't get all this junk mail.

LOL that easy to explain.  They already have you as a customer.  

The ones receiving the junk mail are not customers.  AARP is hounding us to join. We are their target, not you.

Esteemed Contributor

One of my emails is my name and a made-up male name.

He (fictictious name) even gets letters, at my address, that he needs to join AARP!

They surely could use all the money they spend on mailings (computers, typists, paper, envelopes and stamps) on a better cause!

Esteemed Contributor

@Zhills wrote:

@BalletBabe wrote:

@SXMGirl  I totally agree with you and he said they ask a bunch of questions.  Well he knows all about me, I am his patient. Seriously I have better things to do with my time.   I go to the DR 2 times a year and that is it.  Haven't seen a Dr for being sick in 16 years.  I have thyroid issues that he cks and I am also getting sick of the fasting blood work every 6 months.  I am not on any meds for cholesterol.  He said it is all good so why do I have to do this every 6 months.  These Dr's aggravate me.  

@BalletBabe I totally agree with you!  However, last year I got diverticulitis (no cause known) and wound up in the hospital a total of 35 days over 6 months, surgery,  now I am almost back to normal.

My SIL is a doctor and he told me that normally, "the body begins to break down starting about age 70!"  Don't know where you are, but isn't that a wonderful thought!  That is why they want to check you out every 6 months.  That way they can catch any problem early.  I don't like Doctors and I have 2 in the family!

@Zhills  Hi Zhills longtime no see.  I am sorry to hear of your issues.   They have been pulling this every 6 months ****** for years.  I doubt blood work would have picked up Diverticulitis.  I could be wrong.   My issue is with this Medicare thing.  A "Welcome to Medicare"   I don't need welcomed!  lol  I was told and I don't know if it is true but someone on facebook said that she was asked a lot about mental issues , depression and stuff and got up and left.  LOL   My Dr. knows my history. 

I hope you are recovering well!  I am so sorry that you had to go through that.  Sounds painful!  I had a friend thathad it years ago and she couldn't eat things like strawberries cause of the seeds. Take care of yourself!   

Honored Contributor

@Carmie wrote:

@BalletBabe wrote:

@Carmie wrote:

@BalletBabe wrote:

@Spurt wrote:

@BalletBabe wrote:

@Q4u wrote:

@BalletBabe wrote:

"The "Welcome to Medicare" physical exam is a one-time, preventive physical exam Medicare covers within the first 12 months that you have Medicare Part B. The visit will include a thorough review of your health, along with education and counseling about the preventive services you need, like certain screenings, shots, ..."

https://www.medicare.gov/people-like-me/new-to-medicare/welcome-to-medicare-visit.html

It's just a general evaluation/physical exam by your doctor that is fully covered by Medicare.... kind of like a baseline evaluation at the time you're starting Medicare.  No biggee and you're probably getting a yearly exam anyway....  Woman LOL 

Thanks for the information.  Seriously wewent over all of this stuff today.  He made the comment to me that it gives him a better grade.  In other words they like the Dr to do this.    That is his problem.  He has all the informtaion you just mentioned.   Then he said someting about a ekg and ultra sound.   I don't think so.  Till I have a problem leave me alone.   Those tests are not covered according to AARP under the wellness exam.  I am not sure what he is trying to pull.   $$$$$$$   I had a full blood work done last week and he went over all results which were all good. 

@BalletBabe

If you have AARP that explains it, they are part of the "food chain" in health care----translation---follow the money$$$$,  and they are against changes that will put healthcare back with the patient where it belongs (patient decides what tests are necessary etc).....research AARP and see....they received 1 billion in insurance profits, and another 1.8 billion that it generated from its business interests.....check out in Forbes website....cant say more it would be deemed political which isnt allowed on this forum.  All I can say they be more of an advocate for themselves instead of seniors...

@Spurt  You are correct.  I hate to tell them, but if they are going to irritate me, I will be looking for another plan at the end of the year.   Thanks for your input !  Appreciate it.  I had forgotten abut them in with the ex President.   I do think the Dr's are making out good with all of this as well.  The nurse told me my Dr. hates doing these because it takes time away from sick patients.   

If he was a new Dr. and didn't know me that would be different.  The only thing he don't have is a EKG.   I just saw him this week.  So I was blown away when he wants to do this in June.  Then when I call ins. they say you have a year and it is not required.  I think snowbirds are not here so lets drum up some business for the Summer.  :0/

This doesn't sound like an AARP problem to me.  It sounds like someone has a HMO Medicare Advantage Plan.  All HMO's are like that.

I do not have HMO  and I never will.  It is a PPO, so I can go to any Dr as long as they are in networt. 

A PPO does not rate or control doctors, but HMO's do.  They really control the doctor's and push their hands.

When we had the UHC PPO we saw the same doctor we still see now that we have the UHC HMO. And he doesn't do anything any differently. Generally the doctors aren't even aware what insurance a patient has.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@151949 wrote:

@Carmie wrote:

@BalletBabe wrote:

@Carmie wrote:

@BalletBabe wrote:

@Spurt wrote:

@BalletBabe wrote:

@Q4u wrote:

@BalletBabe wrote:

@BalletBabe

When we had the UHC PPO we saw the same doctor we still see now that we have the UHC HMO. And he doesn't do anything any differently. Generally the doctors aren't even aware what insurance a patient has.

@151949 wrote:

@Carmie wrote:

@BalletBabe wrote:

@Carmie wrote:

@BalletBabe wrote:

@Spurt wrote:

@BalletBabe wrote:

@Q4u wrote:

@BalletBabe wrote:

@BalletBabe

I am not sure if Medicare HMO"s work like regular HMO's, but I know that if you have an HMO, the doctor gets paid a fee every month weather you go there or not.  The fee is higher if they do not refer you to another doctor and lower if they refer you.  The insurance company encourages the doctor to keep everything"in house"

The doctors in turn, must preform certain tests and exams at the request of the insurance company.  I agree that the doctor usually does not know what type of insurance you have, but his office staff does.

i had an HMO for one year.  I chose it because it was cheaper than a PPO.  Because I am healthy and very seldom ego to the doctor, I thought it would be okay.

As luck would have it, A foot problem I had in the past reaccured  The PCP was not helping me at all.  I tried and tried to get him to refer me to the foot doctor that I had seen in the past and he would not,    Good thing the open enrollment period was close, because I dropped the HMO and that doctor like a hot potato 

Because I worked in insurance, I know how these programs work,  some doctors will treat the patient and some will treat themselves to more money.  An HMO is not bad if you have a good PCP and don't need referrals,  I suppose, but I'll never have one again.

Esteemed Contributor

@BalletBabe  Hi, believe me it is good to begin to feel like "me" again.  My legs are still a little weak but otherwise I am OK.

You are correct about the blood test not detecting the diverticulitis.  There are 2 types and what I had comes on suddenly, no cause, no prevention, like appendicitis does.  My problem was that the drugs they normally use for it were not curing it.  I had to go to some new high powered ones!  I had the surgery in July and apparently she took out all of the diseased area.  I just had bloodwork and a colonoscopy and everything was completely negative.  My eating is not limited because of it.

You will never know how much you and the OPs who held my hand during this ordeal meant to me.  You were my total support system and outlet.  Your support was priceless!  My family, being in medical, downplayed it like "we do that every day, no biggy."

Thanks again, I am me again, thanks to you and the others that helped me through this!

Honored Contributor

We had a medicare advantage plan PPO for 5 years - worked well for us and we were happy with our care - however, our insurance took away our silver sneakers from the PPO and only offered it on the HMO.As we use our YMCA membership a lot - we decided to save ourselves $70/month membership at the Y by going with the HMO. Thus far we haven't had any issues with this decision. Last fall we closely went over the options with our agent trying to decide if we should change but we actually found that the HMO we have is our best option.BTW - we have the same doctor we had with our PPO.

I think folks do need to occasionally sit down with someone knowledgeable and go over what all is available in their area and the costs etc. to determine what their best choice is based on needs , costs and preferences. Certainly , what is best for you may not be what is best for me. It's very individual.

Honored Contributor

BTW - it is MEDICARE that grades and rates doctors. Not insurance co.I received a questionaire from medicare about my doctor and my level of satisfaction with him. Actually - if I go to my ins co website and use the search for a doctor function I can see what grade all the doctors have received from Medicare so I can make my choice.

Valued Contributor

I only wish we had all the $$ spent by AARP for the mail, fake ID cards, etc that my husband & I have received since he turned 50 years of age, 21 years ago! Does it ever go away? That junk mail goes straight to our recycle bin in the garage!