Esteemed Contributor

Re: Question for Medicare People

@Spurt wrote:

@BalletBabe wrote:

@Q4u wrote:

@BalletBabe wrote:

What is the purpose of this Welcome to Medicare exam.   Seriously???

"The "Welcome to Medicare" physical exam is a one-time, preventive physical exam Medicare covers within the first 12 months that you have Medicare Part B. The visit will include a thorough review of your health, along with education and counseling about the preventive services you need, like certain screenings, shots, ..."

https://www.medicare.gov/people-like-me/new-to-medicare/welcome-to-medicare-visit.html

It's just a general evaluation/physical exam by your doctor that is fully covered by Medicare.... kind of like a baseline evaluation at the time you're starting Medicare.  No biggee and you're probably getting a yearly exam anyway....  Woman LOL 

Thanks for the information.  Seriously wewent over all of this stuff today.  He made the comment to me that it gives him a better grade.  In other words they like the Dr to do this.    That is his problem.  He has all the informtaion you just mentioned.   Then he said someting about a ekg and ultra sound.   I don't think so.  Till I have a problem leave me alone.   Those tests are not covered according to AARP under the wellness exam.  I am not sure what he is trying to pull.   $$$$$$$   I had a full blood work done last week and he went over all results which were all good. 

@BalletBabe

If you have AARP that explains it, they are part of the "food chain" in health care----translation---follow the money$$$$,  and they are against changes that will put healthcare back with the patient where it belongs (patient decides what tests are necessary etc).....research AARP and see....they received 1 billion in insurance profits, and another 1.8 billion that it generated from its business interests.....check out in Forbes website....cant say more it would be deemed political which isnt allowed on this forum.  All I can say they be more of an advocate for themselves instead of seniors...

@Spurt  You are correct.  I hate to tell them, but if they are going to irritate me, I will be looking for another plan at the end of the year.   Thanks for your input !  Appreciate it.  I had forgotten abut them in with the ex President.   I do think the Dr's are making out good with all of this as well.  The nurse told me my Dr. hates doing these because it takes time away from sick patients.   

If he was a new Dr. and didn't know me that would be different.  The only thing he don't have is a EKG.   I just saw him this week.  So I was blown away when he wants to do this in June.  Then when I call ins. they say you have a year and it is not required.  I think snowbirds are not here so lets drum up some business for the Summer.  :0/

Respected Contributor

@Spurt  I agree.  AARP only advocates for low and middle income seniors.  Their policies work against rich seniors.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@BalletBabe wrote:

@Spurt wrote:

@BalletBabe wrote:

@Q4u wrote:

@BalletBabe wrote:

What is the purpose of this Welcome to Medicare exam.   Seriously???

"The "Welcome to Medicare" physical exam is a one-time, preventive physical exam Medicare covers within the first 12 months that you have Medicare Part B. The visit will include a thorough review of your health, along with education and counseling about the preventive services you need, like certain screenings, shots, ..."

https://www.medicare.gov/people-like-me/new-to-medicare/welcome-to-medicare-visit.html

It's just a general evaluation/physical exam by your doctor that is fully covered by Medicare.... kind of like a baseline evaluation at the time you're starting Medicare.  No biggee and you're probably getting a yearly exam anyway....  Woman LOL 

Thanks for the information.  Seriously wewent over all of this stuff today.  He made the comment to me that it gives him a better grade.  In other words they like the Dr to do this.    That is his problem.  He has all the informtaion you just mentioned.   Then he said someting about a ekg and ultra sound.   I don't think so.  Till I have a problem leave me alone.   Those tests are not covered according to AARP under the wellness exam.  I am not sure what he is trying to pull.   $$$$$$$   I had a full blood work done last week and he went over all results which were all good. 

@BalletBabe

If you have AARP that explains it, they are part of the "food chain" in health care----translation---follow the money$$$$,  and they are against changes that will put healthcare back with the patient where it belongs (patient decides what tests are necessary etc).....research AARP and see....they received 1 billion in insurance profits, and another 1.8 billion that it generated from its business interests.....check out in Forbes website....cant say more it would be deemed political which isnt allowed on this forum.  All I can say they be more of an advocate for themselves instead of seniors...

@Spurt  You are correct.  I hate to tell them, but if they are going to irritate me, I will be looking for another plan at the end of the year.   Thanks for your input !  Appreciate it.  I had forgotten abut them in with the ex President.   I do think the Dr's are making out good with all of this as well.  The nurse told me my Dr. hates doing these because it takes time away from sick patients.   

If he was a new Dr. and didn't know me that would be different.  The only thing he don't have is a EKG.   I just saw him this week.  So I was blown away when he wants to do this in June.  Then when I call ins. they say you have a year and it is not required.  I think snowbirds are not here so lets drum up some business for the Summer.  :0/

@BalletBabe

Some of the doctors that are in cahoots might be doing well.....but others that are more about the patients aren't.....I have had several doctors quit their practices because of the new health insurance stuff.....One doctor (he was part of an organization called Doctors Who Care), he quit and went to law school, another retired because she was tired of spending money on expensive computer software in order comply with all the new buracracey and the time it took filling out worthless reports (she confided this to me during my physical).....another went to a specialized practice....

And it seems some of these doctors that are all aboard with the changes like to run tests that arent really necessary, but with real problems patients are having, they just treat the symptoms and won't run tests that are really needed to get to the root cause of the patient's ailments (they probably dont make enough money doing that---that is the dilemma a relative is faced with---she's gone to several doctors that just pass out the pills without finding out what's really wrong, in the meantime the medication isnt even helpling).....

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@KarenQVC wrote:

@Spurt  I agree.  AARP only advocates for low and middle income seniors.  Their policies work against rich seniors.

@KarenQVC

Personally i think they only care about the business of AARP ..............but they are very good at putting a bit of a twist on things to make themselves look like they care.....like a fox watching a hen house....

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

@KarenQVC wrote:

One would wonder why the wealthy NEED anyone to advocate for them.

Honored Contributor

Some of you are so cynical about doctors it's amazing you ever go to one.  I just Googled "does Medicare grade doctors" and came up with nothing.  I have never felt that any doctor I've ever had has run unnecessary tests.  If I felt that way I would find another doctor.  Colonoscopies, for one, save lives.  Most colon cancers are not found by symptoms until it's very advanced.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

@KarenQVC wrote:

That's an interesting POV, since the articles and the multiple ads in their publications, plus the multiple advertisings mailed to the homes of AARP members are mostly geared towards seniors who must have plenty of discretionary income.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Esteemed Contributor

@Moonchilde wrote:

@KarenQVC wrote:

That's an interesting POV, since the articles and the multiple ads in their publications, plus the multiple advertisings mailed to the homes of AARP members are mostly geared towards seniors who must have plenty of discretionary income.

@Moonchilde  Funny you said that.  My brother was just telling me that he is so sick of getting mail from them, that everytime they send him something, he uses the postage free envelope and mails it back to them.  Bwah hahahahahah  Let's all do it !  

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Kachina624 wrote:

I had my doctor before I was eligible for Medicare.  Our routine continued just as it always had, no questionnaires or intrusive tests.  I've always gone in every 3-4 months and had blood tests due to medication I take which requires monitoring.  Nothing changed with Medicare. 

@Kachina624  I believe you but this came from my Dr.'s mouth and then I called back and spoke to the nurse and she told me that also.I told her I knew that he told me that.  

Let me add that I like you have the same Dr. and just had blood work up done.   

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

When I had my first medicare physical the doctor asked me if I knew how to use a computer - handed me a tablet that had the questionaire page up on it and told me to answer all the questions. I did - he did the typical 10 min physical and that was that.No EKG but he did have the girl draw some blood.

Now we go to the patient portal before our yearly physical and answer them there.