Honored Contributor

Re: Question about pre-colonoscopy diet

@Miss Shelly

Like you mentioned, I too have a "redundant (?)" Colon. Never heard that term used by my Gastro Doc's in with any of my 15 Colonoscopies, or Double Balloon Enteroscopies, but mine is 3' longer than the average.

That somewhat explains the difficulty finding my Colon bleeds, as it was in the Right Colon, which is the furthest point from the scope entry. It took the Double Balloon Enteroscopy scope to locate it after many, many failed attempts.

Had #15 Colonoscopy in late 2015 to have the bleeding repaired once again. Hopefully this will be the last bleed, not sure how many more blood transfusions I want to go through, so far no negative reactions, but! Also think reaching 20 gallons of Go/NuLytely is more than enough for 1 person.

Best to you with you upcoming Colonoscopy.

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)
Respected Contributor

They prefer you stay away from greasy foods.  I just had mine a month ago, you can drink broth, eat jello's just not anything red or purple.. I tried to stay away from eating heavy the day before, so had popsicles,drank gator ade. Makes drinking the solution a lot easier to work on you.

Regular Contributor

@hckynut wrote:

@Miss Shelly

Like you mentioned, I too have a "redundant (?)" Colon. Never heard that term used by my Gastro Doc's in with any of my 15 Colonoscopies, or Double Balloon Enteroscopies, but mine is 3' longer than the average.

That somewhat explains the difficulty finding my Colon bleeds, as it was in the Right Colon, which is the furthest point from the scope entry. It took the Double Balloon Enteroscopy scope to locate it after many, many failed attempts.

Had #15 Colonoscopy in late 2015 to have the bleeding repaired once again. Hopefully this will be the last bleed, not sure how many more blood transfusions I want to go through, so far no negative reactions, but! Also think reaching 20 gallons of Go/NuLytely is more than enough for 1 person.

Best to you with you upcoming Colonoscopy.

hckynut(john)

Yes, having extra colon has it's problems for sure.  I guess we are just blessed Smiley Happy    I get queasy just thinking of drinking the prep.  You should get an award for reaching 20 gallons.  I bit the bullet and made the pre-colonoscopy appt. for early Sept.  No turning back now.

Honored Contributor

@Miss Shelly, did you have to have your first at age 38 because of family history or because you were having a problem?  I know they are now saying that they believe the first screening should be done sooner than the recommended 50 years of age.  I believe they are or will lower it to 40.

I posted this on another thread but my sister just had her first about a month or so ago.  She is 54.  She got all the instructions that were similar to the ones posted up thread as far as eating.  For some reason though, she ignored the instructions and ate something she should have the day before her prep. 

The day of the prep, she had a very hard time.  She had to drink the prep and was on the verge of vomiting.  She got the chills and super nauseated plus was in the bathroom.  She finally just gave up.  She never did drink all of the prep.

When she went for the appointment, they asked her if she followed the dietary restrictions and how much of the prep she drank.  When she told them what she ate, they told her they didn't know if it could be done.  She told them she drank probably 80% of the prep (which I don't think was true) and that she wanted the procedure done because she had such a hard time with it.  They went forward as planned and they did find a polyp which was removed and because of that, she has to go in 5 years rather than 10.  

Honored Contributor

I also wanted to add that not all doctors give the same prep.  My sister had to drink the gallon of stuff.

My best friend had to take Dulcolax a few times the week prior, had dietary restrictions.  For her prep the day before the procedure, she had to drink 4 of the 32oz bottles of Gatorade mixed with Miralax.  None of the Gatorade could be red or purple (I think)   She thought this would be so much better than the other prep but she said it was gross.  By the time she was on her last bottle of Gatorade, she was gagging to get it down.    

Honored Contributor

@hckynut wrote:

@mousiegirl wrote:

Sometimes, no matter if one drinks everything one is supposed to, and drinks three times the amount of water directed to, there can still be some residue so the area underneath that cannot be seen during the test,

@mousiegirl

Underneath what? 

hckynut(john)

@hckynut  Under the residue that remained after doing everything and more than I was directed to do.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Love my grandkids@Lipstickdiva@Miss Shelly@HLP@hckynut

For my case: (2 year check)

9C0B5CB9-68A1-4CAA-B806-2028EFB504A1.jpeg

Here’s this:

AF80CC99-9202-426D-8C95-CEC1BB49473F.jpeg

~Have a Kind Heart, Fierce Mind, Brave Spirit~
Honored Contributor

@mousiegirl

Thank you for your reply.  I had no anesthesia for 2 of my Colonoscopy's and watched much of it on the monitor. When they moved the scope through my colon they shot a strong air pressure, which blew whatever was present out of the way. There was no residue, just my nice clean colon. It looked exactly the same during both of these, very wide awake, Colonoscopy's.

The Double Balloon Enteroscopy they could not finish on me was incomplete because of dried blood, which obviously could not be removed during this much more detailed type of Colon, and Endoscopic Procedure. I have had 4 Lower Double Balloon Enteroscopy's, and 1 Upper Double Balloon Enteroscopy.

That was my wide awake experiences and what I remember all to well, during those 2 of my 15 Colonoscopy's. I guess I don't quite understand this "residue" thing. Dried Blood I have experienced way too many times on the exterior of my body, and at times it is even hard to wash off.

Were this to have been told to me, I would have asked my Gastro Doc to explain to me exactly what type and makeup constitutes "residue" that it was that could not be removed. Any incomplete Colonoscopy or Double Balloon Enteroscopy is a waste of their time, and mine, and lots of $$$.

Thanks again for your post. Gotta get goin, today is one of my ice skating days!

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

@hckynut wrote:

@mousiegirl

Thank you for your reply.  I had no anesthesia for 2 of my Colonoscopy's and watched much of it on the monitor. When they moved the scope through my colon they shot a strong air pressure, which blew whatever was present out of the way. There was no residue, just my nice clean colon. It looked exactly the same during both of these, very wide awake, Colonoscopy's.

The Double Balloon Enteroscopy they could not finish on me was incomplete because of dried blood, which obviously could not be removed during this much more detailed type of Colon, and Endoscopic Procedure. I have had 4 Lower Double Balloon Enteroscopy's, and 1 Upper Double Balloon Enteroscopy.

That was my wide awake experiences and what I remember all to well, during those 2 of my 15 Colonoscopy's. I guess I don't quite understand this "residue" thing. Dried Blood I have experienced way too many times on the exterior of my body, and at times it is even hard to wash off.

Were this to have been told to me, I would have asked my Gastro Doc to explain to me exactly what type and makeup constitutes "residue" that it was that could not be removed. Any incomplete Colonoscopy or Double Balloon Enteroscopy is a waste of their time, and mine, and lots of $$$.

Thanks again for your post. Gotta get goin, today is one of my ice skating days!

hckynut(john)

@hckynut  To be blunt, the residue was fecal matter.

Honored Contributor

@mousiegirl

Ok then about the residue. Not sure, but whatever you were directed to do, I would change before your next procedure.  I am assuming you had to have a followup Colonoscopy since that one could not be completed. For me an incomplete Colonoscopy is no better than not having one, but that's just me.

A gallon of Go, or NuLytely,  got everything each time for my many Colonoscopy's, but not for the more detailed, piece by piece look, as was done with my Double Balloon Enteroscopy. That is where the dried blood interfered with the completion, thus I had another one done, 3 days later. And? Of course another gallon of NuLytely that time.

Hey! If blunt clears Community Standards, type away, makes some things easier to understand. Thanks for this reply, no need to reply to this one unless you feel the need.

Thanks,

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)