Honored Contributor

Re: Question about pre-colonoscopy diet

I never have followed a special diet prior to my colonoscopy. My own choice is to eat lightly a day or two before but I've never been given any formal diet. 

"Pure Michigan"
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@ID2 wrote:

I never have followed a special diet prior to my colonoscopy. My own choice is to eat lightly a day or two before but I've never been given any formal diet. 

@ID2 wrote:

@ID2

I always have and will continue to do so. Am one that always followed a strict dietary/fluid regimen before every competition or physical event, including my tons of Medical Procedures. For those procedures I wanted/want them to put the least possible stress on my body

For competitive and any type of athletic event, my goals were/are always to set my body up for it's best possible performance. For me that takes physical/mental, and dietary components.

That's what works best for me and my body. Whatever works for others is what they should do.

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I'm scheduled to have my 5 year one on the 26th. I was told that they have gotten stricter with the diet. I never had to start seven days before and I never had any problems. This is called a low residue diet. I think it would be easier to just tell me what I can eat for seven days before the procedure...lol! Good luck @Love my grandkids

Here are my instructions:

Seven days prior to procedure DECREASE intake of foods on the Avoid list.

Milk and Dairy

Bread and Grains(no whole grains or high fiber, brown or wild rice, whole grain bread, rolls, pasta or crackers. No whole grain or high fiber cereal, including granola, raisin bran, oatmeal)

Meat (no tough meat with gristle)

Legumes (No dried peas including split or black eyed, kidney, pinto, garbanzo/chickpeas, lentils or any other legume.

Fruits ( no seeds, skins, membranes or dried fruit. Raw fruit, cooked or canned fruit with above, including berries, pineapple, oranges, watermelon, coconut. No raisins or other dried fruit, prunes figs, pineapple, banana.)

Vegetables(no raw, skin, seeds,peel, corn, potatoes with skin, tomatoes, cucumbers, cooked cabbage, Brussels sprouts, peas, summer and winter squash, Lima beans, onion, cauliflower, baked beans or lettuce.

Nuts(no nuts)

Fats and oils (salad dressing with seeds, nuts)

Soups( unrestrained soups, chili, lentil soup, dried bean soup, corn soup, pea soup)

Desserts(anything with coconut, seeds, nuts. Cookies or cakes made with seeds, dried fruit or nuts)

Drink's and Beverages(no fruit or vegetable juice with pulp, prune juice, pear nectar)

Other( (coconut, popcorn, jam, marmalade, crunchy peanut butter, relishes, pickles, olives, stone-ground mustard, pickles, sauerkraut, horseradish)

Four days before procedure, ELIMINATE intake of all foods on this list.

Do not take iron pills or vitamins with iron one week before procedure.

Day before procedure( clear liquids only, nothing red, blue or purple)

"Kindness is like snow ~It beautifies everything it covers"
-Kahlil Gibran
Valued Contributor

@Starpolisher wrote:

I'm scheduled to have my 5 year one on the 26th. I was told that they have gotten stricter with the diet. I never had to start seven days before and I never had any problems. This is called a low residue diet. I think it would be easier to just tell me what I can eat for seven days before the procedure...lol! Good luck @Love my grandkids

Milk and Dairy

Bread and Grains(no whole grains or high fiber, brown or wild rice, whole grain bread, rolls, pasta or crackers. No whole grain or high fiber cereal, including granola, raisin bran, oatmeal)

Legumes (No dried peas including split or black eyed, kidney, pinto, garbanzo/chickpeas, lentils or any other legume.

Fruits ( no seeds, skins, membranes or dried fruit. Raw fruit, cooked or canned fruit with above, including berries, pineapple, oranges, watermelon, coconut. No raisins or other dried fruit, prunes figs, pineapple, banana.)

Vegetables(no raw, skin, seeds,peel, corn, potatoes with skin, tomatoes, cucumbers, cooked cabbage, Brussels sprouts, peas, summer and winter squash, Lima beans, onion, cauliflower, baked beans or lettuce.

Nuts(no nuts)

Soups( unrestrained soups, chili, lentil soup, dried bean soup, corn soup, pea soup)

Desserts(anything with coconut, seeds, nuts. Cookies or cakes made with seeds, dried fruit or nuts)

Drink's and Beverages(no fruit or vegetable juice with pulp, prune juice, pear nectar)

Other( (coconut, popcorn, jam, marmalade, crunchy peanut butter, relishes, pickles, olives, stone-ground mustard, pickles, sauerkraut, horseradish)

Had a colonoscopy recently and this was similar to the diet directions I was given.

The point is to empty one's colon of anything that might obstruct the view of the teeny-tiny camera the doc uses to ascertain if there's anything that looks ominous. Empty colon => better view for doc ==> higher likelihood of cancer being spotted

In the directions I was given one could eat hot dogs in the days prior but only if the skin was removed.

Respected Contributor

@Starpolisher wrote:

Milk and Dairy

Nuts(no nuts)

I gotta ask....what did you eat then??  what's left?? 7 days?? 

Valued Contributor

@tsavorite wrote:

@Starpolisher wrote:

Milk and Dairy

Nuts(no nuts)

Yeah it's tough. White bread. Steamed carrots. Eggs. Saltines. Plain pasta. Broiled or poached lean meat like chicken or fish. I think it was the Mayo Clinic web site that suggested tuna mixed with mayonnaise on white bread.

Coffee is permitted! Thank heavens.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@tsavorite wrote:

@Starpolisher wrote:

Milk and Dairy

Nuts(no nuts)

@tsavorite

I don't have to start until the 18th. My procedure is the 26th. They told me they've gotten stricter with the diet than it was five years ago. The day before is a clear liquid diet. I plan on eating, chicken, halibut, tuna, salmon, steamed carrots and can low salt green beans. Coffee and water.  If I feel famished may add some mashed sweet potatoes without butter or milk. I'm dieting anyway so hoping it will help me stay on track and lose a little weight. Already discussed it with dh so he knows he'll be on his own for those eight days...lol!Smiley Very Happy

That's why I said,  "I think it would be easier to just tell me what I can eat for seven days before the procedure." LOL!

"Kindness is like snow ~It beautifies everything it covers"
-Kahlil Gibran
Respected Contributor

How did the colonoscopy go for you lovemygrands??

Esteemed Contributor

I have to have a colonscopy every 5 years for my diverticulites just thinking about the drinking that prep is making me sick but I was wondering about what to eat maybe 2-3 weeks before the acually prep as well.  Looking at the list that was posted I don't see fish it looks like I eat just about everything on that list except nuts, popcorn only occasionally.

I'm looking to make the prep part asier so I guess not only eating less but it looks like other than a liquid protein drink with frozen fruit maybe and fish there is not too much left to eat.

Honored Contributor

@Luvitorleaveit1

If you are talking Go/NuLytely as your prep, I am at the 20 gallon mark. For me not eating and going with liquids only for 3 days prior works best. As for the NuLytely itself? Flavoring doesn't change it for me but the COLDER it is, the easier it goes down. 

Most of my Colonoscopy's and Double Balloon Enteroscopies have been as an In-Patient at a hospital. There I have it mixed the night before/have a nurse put it in the fridge/day of, I get  pan, fill it with ice, and sit the gallon jug in it surrounded by ice. As it melts, I get fresh ice.

That is my MO when it comes to scopes going up my a**. Unless my colon starts bleeding again, I am not due for a couple more years! Fingers and toes crossed

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)