Honored Contributor

Question about pre-colonoscopy diet

My yearly one is next Monday. I'm following the diet, have all the instructions, etc.

My question: Potatoes without skin are fine. Are FRENCH FRIES allowed?

I've gone all over the internet and can't find the answer and my gastro office is closed for the day!

I'll be fine w/out them of course, but I'm kind of craving them, but won't eat them if they aren't allowed.

Please please I ask you kindly, don't guess! If anyone knows for sure, I'd appreciate it and thank you!

Honored Contributor

Re: Question about pre-colonoscopy diet

I have had many colonoscopy’s . I would steer clear of any fried foods.

I literally go on diet of little food for 1 week before cleanse. I eat less, less heavy meals, less food all around. I don’t eat any fried foods ever.  If you do need to fry foods, just hot air fryer, better for you.

Honored Contributor

The instructions I am usually given are no solid food at all the day before--just clear liquids--no sugar in coffee or tea, no orange juice, etc.  Jello is okay.  

Valued Contributor

Sorry, no French fries, potato chips or sweet potatoes allowed. At least according to Froedhert Hospital prep instructions. See page 7:

https://www.froedtert.com/upload/docs/services/gastroenterology/diagnostics/fh-colonoscopy-morning-p...

Honored Contributor

OK. Actually on my diet regular and sweet 'taters w/out skin are OK. I've got some frozen Ore-Ida mashed potatoes, I'll have that instead. Sob sob!! LOL

Honored Contributor

If I was scheduled for my colonoscopy on Monday, I would definitely have eaten French fries today and even tomorrow, before lightening up on Saturday, and prepping on Sunday.   

Honored Contributor

@Love my grandkids wrote:

My yearly one is next Monday. I'm following the diet, have all the instructions, etc.

My question: Potatoes without skin are fine. Are FRENCH FRIES allowed?

I've gone all over the internet and can't find the answer and my gastro office is closed for the day!

I'll be fine w/out them of course, but I'm kind of craving them, but won't eat them if they aren't allowed.

Please please I ask you kindly, don't guess! If anyone knows for sure, I'd appreciate it and thank you!

@Love my grandkids

"My yearly one"?  What number year is this one? I have had more Colonoscopy's than most, but after my very 1st one, I had a pretty good idea about "what not to do" in prep for my next one.

Of course you need not answer my questions, but I am a curious old man that has had 20 such procedures since 2008. Even with my many events I never have been scheduled for a "yearly Colonoscopy". Endoscopy? Yes, every 3 months for 2 years, and every 6 months for 3 more years. It is still "yearly" and probably will be till my last breath.

Answer only if you are comfortable with doing so, thank you!

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

I never been told to follow any diet prior to a colonoscopy and I've had many at many places, except for the night before as part of the prep.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Obviously, everyone's situation is different.

I will be on all liquids on Sunday until 5 p.m. when I start Colyte. I have a complete list of what I can and can't drink. It's the same as last year.

I don't eat much fried stuff, but do like onion rings once in a great while!

I have been on a low fiber diet for a few days.

I had my first "scope" last year. A small colo-rectal tumor was found, had surgery, had chemo and radiation and am doing quite well! Have had CT scans and a couple of endoscopies, an MRI and an EUS which was miserable.

Due to my cancer I am to have yearly colonoscopies. I have the GREATEST medical team and care anyone could hope for!! And I ADORE my oncologist.

Highlighted
Super Contributor

Same here.  Clear liquids the day before.  Never heard of any other restrictions.