Esteemed Contributor

Re: Question about my upcoming operation

I had a total abdominal hysterectomy 30 years ago.  No pain, just tenderness.  I had it done on a Monday and went home on Wednesday.  No pain pills - nothing.  I even told the doctor to remove my appendix while he was at it.

I don't understand why some people had so much pain.  I have a line below the bikini line and I don't remember going back to have stitches removed.  Maybe they were internal???  I don't remember.  But, there was absolutely zero pain.  I went back to work after 3 weeks because I felt so good.  I could have stayed out longer but was bored.

Try to be upbeat and be active.  Don't listen to all the tales of woe - that will only make you feel worse.  Everything will be fine and let us know how things work out.  Good luck.

Occasional Contributor

There is a great website called hystersisters.com that has TONS of great info. It was very helpful when I had my hysterectomy! 

Valued Contributor

I hope and pray you have a quick recovery.

Valued Contributor

My GF recently had a fibroid that weighed 8 lbs. It was benign. She suddenly looked pregnant. I realize that it's not the same issue but she recovered quickly.

Honored Contributor

@LonestarBabs wrote:

Go to a medical supply store or Walgreens, etc and get one of those toilet chairs to put over your regular toilet -- it will raise you higher. Believe me, getting off the toilet was one of the most difficult and painful things to do after surgery!

Rest a lot -- you will be tired. Don't lift, carry, bend. Bathing might consist of sitting on a chair in your tub -- total submersion might not be allowed for awhile. If you shower, cover the incision and be sure to shower sitting down.

@LonestarBabs    @tama

Yes!    Tama, the leg "squats" exercise will be the best way to lift and lower yourself from the "throne".  NO stomach muscles can be used!

Honored Contributor

@tama

You should give thought to how you'll keep yourself "regular" during healing.   Trying to be delicate here, but having to do a number two without using any tummy muscles can be a real challenge.    

I find Swiss Kriss to be a natural and effective way to deal with constipation.

Honored Contributor

@tama,  No need to worry.  I first had some mass on one ovary so it was removed (benign) then the other ovary had something growing on it and I said take it all.  When they removed the ovary there was hardly anything left of it but it was benign.  All my femal reproductive organs were removed.  You will go into complete menopause after surgery.  My doctor was wonderful; she placed me on estrogen and I was fine.  I felt better than I had in years.  She gave me the bikini cut surgery and there was hardly any pain.  I am telling you that you will be fine and no need to worry.  I was in my early 50's when this happened.  God Bless.  Cat Very Happy

kindness is strength
Contributor

I have read and re-read all of your posts and cannot thank you enough. You are all wonderful and have helped me more than you can know. I will continue to look back and read through your wonderful info and comforting words. 

Esteemed Contributor

@tama  Please keep in touch when you can.

Don't read the negatives.  There are always plenty of those.  Read the positives.  Those are what counts.  You should have no problems.  I have never heard such negativity as I do on these kinds of threads.  It's like everyone has to be "one up" on the other one.

I would compare this to a C-Section.  Same area, same recovery.  Some people need pillows and cushions and high chairs, etc... I didn't need anything.  Most people have the same results I have had.  Go home, walk around, a little tenderness, that's it.  Don't think the worst - think positive.

Honored Contributor

@tama wrote:

I have read and re-read all of your posts and cannot thank you enough. You are all wonderful and have helped me more than you can know. I will continue to look back and read through your wonderful info and comforting words. 

@tama

One thing I forgot to say .......     I had a complete hysterectomy years ago, and I recommend them HIGHLY.  Life is so much easier afterwards.  JMO