Honored Contributor

Re: Question about attending Spouse's medical consult

@SeaMaiden No, you're not asking too much and it makes perfect sense for you to be present but it really is his choice. If he prefers to have the consultation be between he and the physician alone, it would seem you have to respect his choice. While you'd like to think he would offer a good reason for making the choice he did, some things probably shouldn't require an explanation but just are, because that's the way we want them.

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Honored Contributor

@stevieb wrote:

@SeaMaiden No, you're not asking too much and it makes perfect sense for you to be present but it really is his choice. If he prefers to have the consultation be between he and the physician alone, it would seem you have to respect his choice. While you'd like to think he would offer a good reason for making the choice he did, some things probably shouldn't require an explanation but just are, because that's the way we want them.

I agree with @stevieb@SeaMaiden.   

My husband and I have just recently started going to appointments together, prompted by my husband being hard of hearing, even with $$$ hearing aids.  

I’d let your husband know that you want to go along and why but leave the decision up to him.  Hope it all goes well.

Esteemed Contributor

@SeaMaiden wrote:

@Stray wrote:

I would want to be there as I was when my husband was quite ill.  I was a nurse and it was ok with my husband.  As much as you feel you want to be there and it's a good idea, it is up to your husband.  My husband's doctor asked him before allowing me into the consultation room.  Though you are married 40 years, it's your husband's right for total privacy Within the confines of a doctor/patient relationship.  

@Stray  underlined.... You are absolutely correct. I will ask him one last time how he feels the day before his consultation....  It is his right to say no. I will hope he will not.

@SeaMaiden- I hope he doesn't either.  My husband was gravely ill and didn't know me for 5 days.  When we went for follow up to his own doctor who is also mine, I got up automatically to go with him being a nurse and the fact my husband had no recollection of the ambulance, admission to the hospital, the first 5 days & under the care of a different physician than our own doctor....he stopped me and asked his permission....he was right and my husband did not object.  I hope your husband rethinks his position.