Honored Contributor

Question For those who have had a Crown done on back molar

I had a crown done today on my back lower wisdom tooth...lots of shots of Novocain...drilling, grinding etc etc.....it has been about 6 hours since I had it done. The Novocain has worn off, and my ear and lower jaw ache.  Is it normal for the tooth/ jaw area to be sensitive for a while after going through such trama? I took a couple codine I had from previous dental work and I feel much better right now....just hoping this achy throbbing lets up over the next day or two.    I know if it continues  for too long I will be a candidate for a root canal..... I hope it settles down...fingers crossed!

Valued Contributor

Re: Question For those who have had a Crown done on back molar

Hello,  I had a crown done in 2012 on a back molar. The tooth had a large amalgam filling in it and had become very sensitive. We tried drilling and a crown, before considering a possible root canal. I did have about 2 weeks of pain which was controlled with Motrin.  I never did need a root canal or other procedures. I hope your tooth calms down. Good luck.

“The price of light is less than the cost of darkness.”
– Arthur C. Nielsen
Valued Contributor

My jaw was sore after my last crown (5 months ago), but I'm pretty sure it was from having to keep my mouth open for long periods of time. The soreness did not continue after a day or so. 

Trusted Contributor

Yeah, I think it's pretty normal to have residual aching, pain especially if they were working on you a while. If it's not better in a day or so, I would call the dentist though. One question-was it a molar or wisdom tooth? You mentioned wisom tooth and I thought they usually just pulled those if they were a problem. I have crowns on a few molars.

Super Contributor

Hi, I had one done before Christmas. They told me it would be sore for a couple days and then no pain. After three days it still hurt and so I went back in, they took one look and said, of course it's still sore we did a lot of grinding. (No root canal, just took out old filling.) it was sore, a little less each day, for about a week. Putting on the permanent crown was a piece of cake, the bad part is all in the prep. Hang in there. 

Honored Contributor

@daisyk wrote:

Yeah, I think it's pretty normal to have residual aching, pain especially if they were working on you a while. If it's not better in a day or so, I would call the dentist though. One question-was it a molar or wisdom tooth? You mentioned wisom tooth and I thought they usually just pulled those if they were a problem. I have crowns on a few molars.

@daisyk  It was a wisdom tooth with an old nasty Mercury filling. I am missing a molar on that same side and wanted to keep the tooth  if possible.  I have a crown on the  lower wisdom tooth on the other side and it has held up well.   The  two top wisdom teeth  both had big Mercury fillings in them and those were pulled a few years ago. 

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Oh yeah!! Getting prepped for a crown is exhausting and your mouth will be sore. You'll be better tomorrow, even better next day. Don't worry, when they put the crown on, it's nothing compared to the prep. 

Take it easy, go to bed early. 

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

When I have had crowns put on the back teeth, my jaw hurts that day and night from holding it open for so long and so wide. My gums will be very tender and sore also. I usually take Ibruprofen or Tylenol and its better in the morning. Hope you feel better fast.

Honored Contributor

@Another new name Sue wrote:

Oh yeah!! Getting prepped for a crown is exhausting and your mouth will be sore. You'll be better tomorrow, even better next day. Don't worry, when they put the crown on, it's nothing compared to the prep. 

Take it easy, go to bed early. 

@Another new name Sue  Ahhh.... Thanks Happygal! You make  me feel better already!  Actually they already put the permanent  crown on! They have a machine that makes the crown same day while you wait!  No temporary crown  or wait like in the old days!

Respected Contributor

Wow, I did not know that could be done. That's great. I have to wear a temporary for a week or so.  (Once the temp crown came off and I swallowed it!)

The process makes me  feel so exhausted holding my mouth open so long, I feel so tense the whole time, wiped out the rest f the day. Oh, and those miserable injections!!  Good for you, taking care of your teeth. Take care.