Respected Contributor

Re: Question For those who have had a Crown done on back molar

Most of my molars are crowns, so I'm very familiar with what you're experiencing. I always had a little soreness in my gums afterwards due to the novacaine injection and my jaw was a little stiff from keeping my mouth open for so long. I usually just take a couple of aspirin and it's OK. My dentist usually calls me the night I get a temporary crown to make sure I'm OK and not in too much discomfort. If you're still sore a day or so later, call your dentist's office to let him/her know.

If your dentist didn't tell you this, DO NOT FLOSS THE TOOTH WITH THE TEMPORARY CROWN ON IT !!!! This is a sure fire way to pop that baby off.  If you absolutely have to floss that tooth, pull the floss through from front to back (or vice versa), but do not pull it up. Also, be careful not to bump it with your toothbrush when brushing your teeth. Basically, handle the temporary crown with kid gloves. Getting the permanent crown's a breeze compared to the temporary one. It usually only takes 10 or 15 minutes.  Good luck!

Honored Contributor

@SeaMaiden

I just went through this before Thanksgiving.  I've had lots of dental work done in my life and never has pain that started at my ear and ran down along the jaw.  I had my endodontist on speed dial because I don't believe in suffering needlessly :-)

By the time my dentist seated the crown at the beginning of December, everything had calmed down and I didn't need root canal therapy.

I still think she hit a nerve and ticked it off when she gave me the shots that were right in the jaw joint where the upper and lower jaw connects - man that shot hurt.

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Honored Contributor

I'd call the dentist, throbbing isn't normal IMO. 

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Super Contributor

I am going through this right now! Three weeks ago I had the prep and temporary crown put on. Now... I have TMJ on that side of my mouth and it really flared up. For three weeks I have had a lot of pain. This morning I went to have the crown put on. The Dr. had to reapply it 3 times. She couldn't keep my mouth dry enough for the cement to hold. She finally got it to stay on. I wear an appliance on my lower jaw, so I had to put it on right away. The pain in my jaw was terrible. I called the Dr. and she sent a prescription to the pharmacy for Soma (muscle relaxer) and 600 mg. ibuprofren. It is helping with the pain. Wow. I've had 7 other crowns and never had this much pain!