Honored Contributor

Re: Question: Are my Cholesterol results normal?

I would kill for your numbers!! They are stellar!! I have high choesterol that I have been battling for decades--took many statins and watched my diet--don't do the statins anymore--too many awful side effects. My HDL is in the 80 to 90 range so my ratio is way lower than on the scale. LDL and trig are the ones I work on. Trig #s have alot to do with carbs and sugar. HDL which is your helathy cholesterol is a family thing too, so that is why mine is high. My Choelsterol ranges 235 +/-.  I would be high fiving everyone I saw--- :-)

Respected Contributor

Gosh.  I thought the OP was bragging.  LOL  Good points made here about knowing the rest of the story.  I'm assuming this is info from bloodwork ahead of the doc appt.  Mine does this too.  Good luck OP!!!!!  Hope you're told it's all good.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

N/m

~Have a Kind Heart, Fierce Mind, Brave Spirit~
Honored Contributor

OP: TALK TO YOUR DOCTOR. We can't interpret a stranger's medical results! nor should any lay person try.

Honored Contributor

@Squirrel Lover

Normal?  When it comes to important numbers, each person is evaluated, by their professionals, as an individual, not a specific "norm". That is why I have demanded my numbers, not anyone's "average" as to what is "normal".

Now if you want my opinion, "generally speaking", here is what I see in your results.

Total cholesterol--not a number I would be too concerned about

Triglycerides---higher than I would like mine, even prior to my heart attacks.

HDL--Wish mine were that high

LDL---Always want mine to be much lower

HDL/Cholesterol Ratio--I have always been happy with any number 2.0 or lower, even before my 2 heart attacks.

Should my opinion mean much concerning the numbers you posted? I will leave that up to your PCP and/or Cardiologist to evaluate. Mine is just an educated(?) opinion.

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I watch my HDL and triglycerides which are always good (HDL 65-85, triglycerides as low as 65-70) and my ratios are always excellent.  My LDL has always been over 100 all of my life, and my total cholesterol in the low 200s (e.g., last labs 211).  I wouldn't take statins unless my total cholesterol was over 250, and I have never gotten even close to that.

A few years ago, they lowered the norms which is suspicious to me.

ETA:  My blood pressure averages 117/68.  I take it every day.  My pulse rate is high with activity though, I do worry about that.  Probably just too much resting and not enough exercise . . . hard to do with RA at this age.

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986
Trusted Contributor

Thank you all for the advice. My doctor sent these results to me this morning , but did not say anything about them. I am 52 and in perfect health and eat a very balanced diet. I was surprised to see the numbers go up especially the bad cholestoral. I have 22% body at my checkup yesterday so when I woke up to see that my cholestoral when up from 176 to 190 I thought man what does that mean? I was just surprised and I did look on the internet and the opinions are all over the place. 

I guess if my doctor did not note anything I shouldn't worry about it. I just thought I would ask because I found the people on these boards are knowledgable.

Respected Contributor

This is exactly why you have a doctor.  He/she is an expert and knows you.  Give the expert a call not nameless, faceless people who don't know anything about you.

Super Contributor

@RedTop wrote:

I pay attention to only 2 numbers, and my interpretation is that your cholesterol result at 191 is near the high range of normal.   Your triglyceride level at 90, is good.   These numbers are viewed in different ways if they are your normal readings, or a result of cholesterol medication.  

Usually when the normal cholesterol reading inches closer to 200, a physician will start urging you to watch your diet closer.   My physician wants to prescribe cholesterol medication once the lab result goes over 200.    

This is this is not a no brainer. All values must be considered. LDL, HDL, Triglycerides and ratio are all within normal limits and that is a good thing. Total cholesterol is a calculation of LDL, HDL and Triglycerides/5 and shouldn't be taken at face value only.Talk to your doc about it!

Respected Contributor

These numbers look fine but even if they weren't could be unique to your situation.  I battled cancer and am required to get my blood drawn 4 times a year due to a med I take.  Each lab result has the normal range and if I go below or above that range it is flagged in the margin.  My glucose levels have crossed that range more than a few times and when I ask the oncologist (also a hematologist) he says that they are good for my situation bc of one of the meds I take.    

My primary care physician draws blood once a year and she'll often send a note on My Chart if my numbers hit that same range and when I remind her that I see a hematologist and he says they are in a good range bc of my situation she says she will always defer to his expertise so it's not always black or white.