Honored Contributor

Re: Question About Outdoor Precautions of COVID-19

@jpie wrote:

I am also a well educated individual.  I have my Master's degree in Biology & Nutrition from The University of Bridgeport, CT.

We studied several chapters of Epidemiology. So, I do have a background above the average person. With that being said, this is an uncharted viral situation.

I deeply appreciate your humility. It seems that the few who actually understand the most  about present circumstances are speaking with the most reasonable and cautious voices.

Highlighted
Respected Contributor

@jpie wrote:

I am also a well educated individual.  I have my Master's degree in Biology & Nutrition from The University of Bridgeport, CT.

We studied several chapters of Epidemiology. So, I do have a background above the average person. With that being said, this is an uncharted viral situation.

Then, you should be well versed in what's dangerous and what's not.  I have a strong immune system and I'm not one bit afraid of this virus at all.  I get take out food from our local diner, I go to the grocery store, totally unafraid.  Please don't misunderstand me, I meant that your education should be a good thing in easing your fears.  I'm a high school drop out but got my GED.  I did alot of studying on my own and purchased books on the immune system from a college.  It's DEEP and extemely complex, the immune system but I'm very interested.  I got them years ago.  You can go outside and on your property.  Don't be scared.  XXOO

Respected Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

I live in Colorado and I just heard on our local news that going outdoors to our parks here is encouraged. Good to stay healthy by exercising. Just practice social distancing. Same goes for walking around outside, like taking the dog for a walk. 

The authorities closed our parks.  I think it's ridiculous but that's what happened. 

Esteemed Contributor

Just an observation, but I have seen pitifully few people outside who obey the social distancing rule of 6 feet.  I can see why parks are closed.  There are always those who think it can't happen to them.  I attribute some of this to the lack of cases in their state...when you are in a hot zone, you are more encouraged to think twice before doing anything that might put you at higher risk.  

Honored Contributor

@haddon9 wrote:

I would think that UV light from the sun is supposed to be a natural disinfectant so it should be safe to go out in your yard.

However I'm sure plenty of others are wondering the same thing so it would be nice if the CDC addressed this.  This whole issue is stressful enough why don't they mention this concern either way?!

I completely agree with this. Sunlight just devastates most viruses and bacteria. As long as the sun is shining, you can be out and about at minimal risk. Viruses are no match for the UV rays from the sun.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Respected Contributor

To those of you that have given me a heart, or supportive and reassuring words, thank you. It means so much to me at this time.

At the beginning of this post I was told to educate myself.  Perhaps, I should have taken a step back, or a deep breath and not let that sentence bother me so much. I have been educating myself before the first mention of this started in Washington state. The White House task force keeps answering the same questions, with a few new ones, so I continue to tune in at the federal, state, and local levels. There is almost always something new to learn.

I spent 59 minutes waiting to speak to a person at our county COVID-19 hotline to address a different issue at the local level. This was well over a week ago. 

Now, an update on my situation. Today we are getting a light snow which is turning to rain. Tomorrow and Wednesday, we will be rain free.  I'll do a few hours of yard work on both days. I love working in my yard!  Now, let's just hope I can get my Lawnboy to fire up once again!Smiley LOL

Honored Contributor

@jpie wrote:

@bluehost wrote:

I suggest you go to the CDC website. You will get accurate information. No need to worry about people who have been on your lawn. Go to the website, educate yourself.

Families or those who live together don't need to keep 6 feet apart. Only strangers. 

____

I have read many things from the CDC website, but couldn't find this when I checked earlier.  I'll keep checking.

Just trying to be super cautious for myself and all Americans, but suppose I am struggling to find my new normal. 

@jpie COVID-19 has been found in human stool. There are no credible studies of its presence  in canine stool yet but there are two reports that are semi-credible of transmission by infected humans to two dogs in Hong Kong. If you want to be ultra safe, don't rake near any pet waste. 

Honored Contributor

@jpie wrote:

@BeautyLver 

I am following my state and local task force briefings.  I am a person who will not, and have not, put one single person at risk. Every single time the authorities are on television, Nextdoor, Instagram, or Twitter, I am informing myself hourly and non-stop.

I usually get friendly advice from this forum.  Go and read all of my posts if you wish. 

@jpie  I think the same way as you do. 

Honored Contributor

@jpie wrote:

@haddon9 wrote:

I would think that UV light from the sun is supposed to be a natural disinfectant so it should be safe to go out in your yard.

However I'm sure plenty of others are wondering the same thing so it would be nice if the CDC addressed this.  This whole issue is stressful enough why don't they mention this concern either way?!

_____

Thank you a million times over!  I have read the CDC website in every single category almost daily. This was not addressed, but was something that was on my mind. It is important to me.

I appreciate you brainstorming my exact question so very much!

@jpie While UV light can be a disinfectant there are no current guidelines from CDC or WHO for its use with COVID-19. It's not good practice to extend the thinking about this to the virus without actual testing. So far, there are no published studies utilizing UV light with this virus. I have not checked to see if such studies exist for SARS or MERS or for the many other coronaviruses. I will be looking though, and I'll report back. It's fine to go outside. Just make no contact with humans. 

Valued Contributor

As a medical professonal take this situation seriously.dont think you are superman or supergirl.

dont go out unless for food shopping or the pharmacy.only take  a walk around the block.

this will last not for weeks but many many months if not longer.our lives will change forever.say goodbye to your favorite resturants which will never open again.

my friend 30 years old did  took every precaution possible tested positive and now is in critical condition in the hospital.I repeat donot be a hero......