Super Contributor

Question About Blood Pressure Med

i have been gaining weight it seems with the current med I am on for high blood pressure(Losartan). I would like to know before my next appointment if there is another blood pressure medicine that does not cause weight gain?

Honored Contributor

Re: Question About Blood Pressure Med

A change in diet could be 2-fold:

1.  weight loss AND

2.  elimination of BP medication

Honored Contributor

@MagnoliaMs 

My sister has had issues with BP medications also. She called the pharmacist and they were very helpful. 

Super Contributor

I have been on many BP  drugs in the 45 years I've had very resistant high BP and been on 4 meds at a time for it despite weight loss and exercise and proper diet (just genetic), but that is one I've not tried.   Most of them have some type of side effect so you just have  to try different ones to see which you can tolerate. The worst for me was one that made me so sleepy that I fell asleep at stoplights.   You need to talk to your doctor about changing meds if you feel it is causing weight gain.  Best of luck. 

Super Contributor

Yes, thank you, but  I have been watching my diet , and I exercise twice daily. That is why I am concerned.

@sidsmom wrote:

A change in diet could be 2-fold:

1.  weight loss AND

2.  elimination of BP medication

Respected Contributor

I have been taking Olmesartan Medoxomil ( Benicar) for probably twelve or thirteen years. I started out taking 20 mgs for years and now take only 5 mgs because my blood pressure was dropping too low. Anyway I have never gained any weight on this medication. The first BP medication I took before Benicar I gained Five pounds in one week. I went back to my doctor and told him we have to find another BP med because I’m not taking this and that’s how I got on Benicar. My husband was also put on Benicar at the same time took it for years and and then started to cough. I never had any problems with it. But everyone’s different on meds.

Super Contributor

Thank you. I will ask my doctor about this medication.

Esteemed Contributor

@MagnoliaMs :  I am on Losarten with no weight gain (I've lost ten lbs in recent months).  I did need to get my dosage adjusted upward two years ago because I moved from sea level to 6500 ft.

Respected Contributor

I have taken Losartan for at least 5 years andit has not caused a weight gain.

Contributor

I've been taking Losaratan 50 mg since Oct 2018 and haven't had a weight gain-but in October I put myself on a diet (the old fashioned way of counting calories and watching the white carbs) and have lost 35 lbs.   I had been previously taking Lisinopril for years, but it caused me to have a persistent dry cough so doc switched me to Losaratan.  But I dont think the Lisinopril caused me to gain weight either.   Good luck to you though.