Super Contributor

Re: Quell not helping my daughter

@Kachina624 wrote:

@Annabellethecat66  What do you take?  I'm having to give up the NSAID that I've taken for years.  Doctor suggested Percoset and I hit the roof... a NARCOTIC?  I don't think so. 

@Kachina624      If I may, I was diagnosed with Fibromyalgia 8+ yrs ago. The first medication I was given was Lyrica. While it helped, I personally could not tolerate the side effects. I was switched to Savella. I have done well on that. I also was prescribed narcotics, along with Celebrex, topamax, and muscle relaxers for spinal degenerative disease in both the cervical and lumbar regions, resulting in radiculopathy in both legs and my dominant arm. Four months ago my pain management physician started me on the New Jersey Medicinal Marijuana Program. I do not smoke it. I simply dissolve a lozenge under my tongue five times a day. 

That has has been the best thing for the relief of Fibromyalgia EVER. It has also allowed me to cut my narcotic use by 75-80%, cut my Celebrex by 50%, eliminate all sleep meds and muscle relaxers. Prior to starting the med Marijuana I had not been able to sleep through the night for over a decade - now I sleep well, through the night every night with no meds! I rarely have the leg and arm burning, need to move feeling from the fibro, now mostly only when there are severe weather changes instead of daily.

I hope my experience helps you in some way. If I can answer any questions, I will do so gladly.

Hugs . . . 

Life is tough, but I am tougher!!
Honored Contributor

@Annabellethecat66  Thanks, I'm definitely going to ask my doctor about it. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

@q-girl  Thanks for the info.  We do have legalized medical mj here tho I have no idea how you get it.  Even in my youth I never tried it so know nothing about it. 

I'm keeping all this info to show my doctor. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Trusted Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

@hyacinth003  I'm not surprised your daughter got no relief.  I think those machines are a bunch of voodoo.  I have a professional tens unit ordered by my physical therapist and paid for by insurance and it never helped me one iota. 

I had a similar experience with a professional tens unit.  Luckily insurance rented it for me for 3 months.  When I said I saw or felt no difference they did not renew the the rental.

Honored Contributor

@Annabellethecat66 wrote:

@Kachina624 It's called Limbrel (flavocoxid 500 mg).  You need a prescription to get it but my Dr called it in the first time I think then I just call (or they call me)and renew it every month.  Take one capsult 2X's a day.  I get it from Transition Pharmacy.

I don't understand it, how it works but it does.  I've had Fibro for many years.  The aching was terrible.  My arthritis Dr is the one that prescribes it.

I don't know about insurance or anything.  I just pay for it.  It's around $45-$49.  

Hope it helps you like it did me.

@Annabellethecat66  I'll bet your insurance is paying for it.  I just checked all of the pharmacies near me through GoodRX, and it's over $700 a month at each one.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Super Contributor

@Kachina624 . . . .   I, too, had never tried it until the medical. To find out more about it, I would look on the internet. I assume from your post that you live in New Mexico. I would start with New Mexico Medical Marijuana - that's how I learned much about the program in my state (New Jersey). There was even a list of physicians and dispensaries. 

I am am also pleasantly surprised at how well supported this is by the mainstream medical community. Good luck if you and you doctor decide to pursue this. Like I said, this was life changing for me. And, in case this would be a concern, I do not get any sort of "high" from the lozengeI take. There is a calmness and pain relief, but no high - which is exactly what I was hoping for.

Hugs . . . 

Honored Contributor

@NickNack No I pay for it.  It comes out of my checking account every month.

Honored Contributor

@q-girl Here's something I found out due to the recent knee replacements and the fact that this STUPID right knee is still bothering me.

As I've bla blaed here so often, I have a bad back from (well you know the saying).  NOTHING in all of these years has helped it.  Anyway, I put off the knee replacement because I just knew it would help but I'd still hurt.  Well, of course it's the right side of my body that drives me crazy pain.

Keep reading....I'm getting there.  So it's the right side of my back that locks up and so on.  I can feel the pain (TRIGGERS) that hit the butt and goes down the back of the leg.  No news to me.  Dealt with it for years.

But what I didn't know and learned from the knee Dr is that there is a major nerve that runs down your back to the back of the knee.  THAT's where my problem is.

I can walk without any problem (pain).  But when I sit for long periods of time just getting up kills this same knee.  I couldn't figure it out.  Then the knee Dr said "that's because you are pushing against that large nerve".  Duh?  There you go.  Once I start walking I'm good.

So, here's my advice (which means absolutely zip) make sure she puts that thing exactly where the Quell people tells her to put it.  None of it makes any sense to me.

I haven't had a chance to find out if I can still use these things with the knees being replaced (they have a lot of metal in them).

Before I had the knee replacement I went to a physical therapist to get my ability to bend the knees measured, etc.  She is a firm believer in 'tens'.  So, even though I have lots of the Quell stuff, I still ordered also the 'tens' stuff.  I haven't had a chance (or looked into using any of it) again.  My point is if a medically educated (she has credentials up the wazoo) recommends this stuff, there's something to it.

Obviously, even like medicine, it doesn't work for everyone.  However, if I were you, I wouldn't give up easily.

Take care.  Annabelle.

Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

@q-girl  Thanks for the info.  We do have legalized medical mj here tho I have no idea how you get it.  Even in my youth I never tried it so know nothing about it. 

@Kachina624, I don't know about your state specifically, but in CA you would go to a doctor who specializes in MMJ to fill out an extensive questionnaire, talk to them, get their recommendations, and receive a state certificate from them, for which there is a yearly fee. At that point, you can take your certificate to any dispensary and get further advice as to what might be helpful.

But CA and CO are the "loosest" re MMJ. Some states put you through the ringer to get approved, some have a very tiny list of "accepted" diagnoses, some will do it by RX only.

There are two CBD threads in Wellness that also discuss MMJ, and it's also mentioned in some arthritis threads here.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Super Contributor

@Moonchilde wrote:

@Kachina624 wrote:

@Kachina624, I don't know about your state specifically, but in CA you would go to a doctor who specializes in MMJ to fill out an extensive questionnaire, talk to them, get their recommendations, and receive a state certificate from them, for which there is a yearly fee. At that point, you can take your certificate to any dispensary and get further advice as to what might be helpful.

But CA and CO are the "loosest" re MMJ. Some states put you through the ringer to get approved, some have a very tiny list of "accepted" diagnoses, some will do it by RX only.

There are two CBD threads in Wellness that also discuss MMJ, and it's also mentioned in some arthritis threads here.

@Moonchilde . . .That's pretty much how it works in NJ, but here we have that list of accepted diagnoses, and there is some protocol to follow, a state certification to obtain with a biannual fee, and you must register with a dispensary. Not all doctors are certified to prescribe MMJ in NJ, however, and some do not even know who to send patients to. I was fortunate that my pain management physician certified and registered to prescribe MMJ. I suggested the website as a starting point for information or for the name of a physician(s) in case it is the same in NM.

It also bears noting that MMJ is not covered by insurance because it is not Medicare approved, but the money saved from the medications I am no longer taking just about pays for the MMJ.

Hugs . . .