Honored Contributor

Re: Quality of Care with Medicare

[ Edited ]

@maestra wrote:

@Evie2004 wrote:

@151949  same here..one thing to be aware of is that the Plan F will not be available to new members after 2020, the monthly cost will be much higher as the pool becomes smaller, with older &  sicker members. The insurance companies are now pushing Plan G.

We hope to be able to continue with our Advantage plan.

I brought this up earlier in this thread and was reprimanded and poofed b/c I was 'frightening' other posters.

This is the SAME info I was provided in late Spring by SHIP counselors.

I too have read where this plan F will go up in price after the pool of subscribers gets lower, but it doesn't make sense to me.  I think that the price will go up because it can and insurance companies will be encouraged to do so.

Plan F  along with Plan C are the only two plans that cover the Medicare B deductible which is currently $183.  They are both being discontinued after 2020.

I have read where the the "powers to be" are phasing out the C and F plans that cover this deductible to save Medicare money.  They are thinking that if seniors have having financial difficulties, they will avoid going for medical care unless it is an emergency because paying the $183 would be a hardship for them. So many people will not use their Medicare coverage unless it is very necesssary and they are truly sick.

As bad as the second paragraph sounds, I believe this to be true.  It doesn't make a whole lot of sense for coverage to increase a lot over $183 or to phase out two plans over $183.

After this money saving venture, I think the Advantage Plans will be next to get a work-over.  Those plans are a godsend to many people with limited funds, but they cost the Medicare system a whole lot more than Traditional Medicare does.  Insurance companies are losing money on these plans too. 

These types of postings are making people aware of what the future might be. It is possibly helping them make better decisions for their future. It is not frightening people to give them the facts.

Respected Contributor

@Carmie  Obviouisly you believe, as I do , that Knowledge is Power.

@Birkilady told me that I shouldnt be posting info to scare people.

Personally, I dont care and have nothing invested into where posters get Medicare.

Iwas trying to be helpful-No Good Deed Goes Unpunished.

Esteemed Contributor

@Carmie When you say Part C & Part F are being discontinued do you mean there will no longer be a supplement that pays the $183 deductible.That this will now have to be paid by the insured? What will be left in terms of Medicare supplements? Will they remain the same minus deductible coverage?

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@NicksmomESQ Supplemental Plans C and F are scheduled to be discontinued.  If you have one of these plans you will be allowed to keep them, but they will no longer be sold. The price will probably go up forcing some people to downgrade to Plan G.

The other supplemental plans offered do not pay the Medicare B deductible.  Plan G is the next best choice.  I am saying this because Plan G covers foreign expenses ( think travel and cruise ships) and the skilled nursing facility/ rehab coinsurance for days 21 to 100.  Medicare will pay the first 20 days  in full.  Plan G does not pay the $183. The insured would have to pay this amount out of their pocket.

There are other supplemental plans available, but not all are sold in every state.  Right now Plans F, G and C are the most popular.

As far as I know, no other supplemental plans are scheduled to change and should remain the same as they are today.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@NicksmomESQ  Anyone already on Plan C or F will be grandfathered in for life. There is no need for worry about coverage changing or the fear of having to find an alternative insurance. By 2020, all premiums are bound to rise. That's not a big surprise to anyone. It's a great deal compared to what most people paid when working! 

Just encourage everyone to select the type of insurance to fit their anticipated needs for their lifetime health care. Each person must be their own health-care advocate.  Be responsible, think ahead and spend your money with your own future in mind. Pinching pennies today is not going to help you in 10, 20 or more years! Consider this decision as an investment in your future health care. Select wisely for your own needs. 

Social Security and SHIP (an unbiased program in your own State) are both excellent sources of information and their employees are willing to help walk you through the process. Both are free of charge and not associated with any insurance companies.

ETA: Plan G seems to be taking the place of Plans C and F for many new enrollees taking out supplemental insurance in the future. All plans are on-line if you need to read up on them. You are encouraged to inform yourself in advance. Most companies and/or their retirement systems will offer classes on this information, as well. 

Money screams; wealth whispers.
Esteemed Contributor

@blackhole99 wrote:

I have a feeling it will be the same, but you will pay for it. You will be surprised at how much Medicare does not pay for, especially if you have health issues and are used to having  good health insurance from your job. Choose your supplement wisely, more expensive doesn't necessarily mean you still won't have high copays for expensive tests and treatments. My husband and I are seeing a Medicare Supplement insurance broker this time around to make sure we are not paying more for supplemental insurance than we have to. At this point in time, we are lucky Medicare still exists and still can get supplemental insurance the average retired person can afford.

My supplement with Aetna, Plan F costs me $219.08/mo and I have not had to pay out one penny for any of my health issues.  Surgery, one month in rehab plus others.  It is not cheap but they were the least expensive.  My part D with BCBS is $97/mo and my co payments for my monthly prescriptions is $8.00 for both combined.  I am hoping to find a way to lower these costs but I have a feeling that won't happen.

The moving finger writes; And having writ, Moves on: nor all your Piety nor Wit Shall lure it back to cancel half a Line Nor all your Tears Wash out a Word of it. Omar Khayam
Honored Contributor

Yes plans C & F will be grandfathered in  if you want to keep them BUT as those who have them die off , and age , and become more & more expensive to care for, the cost of covering the people on that plan will increase and with fewer and fewer paying in premiums the cost will be distributed among those left - so the premiums are going to go up & up. You can count on the fact that the insurance companies are not going to absorb these increases - they are going to pass them to the customers.

Honored Contributor

@Carmie wrote:

@151949 wrote:

@Carmie wrote:

@151949 wrote:

Since sign up time is coming my DH added up what it would cost us for a plan F supplement and drug plan vs. the copays we have paid thus far this year with our advantage plan. Our total copays for both of us so far this year don't even add up to one month of premiums for a supplement & drug plan so we are happy to stay in the world of advantage plans for now. 

I just picked up my  Rx at the drug store this AM - 4 drugs - all tier 1 - 90 day supply of all - $36. And that is on a zero premium plan.

You always fail to mention that because you have an Advantage Medicare Plan, you would have a difficult time finding a Supplement if you decided to change to Traditional Medicare.

if you could find a company that would sell you a supplement, it wouldn't be cost prohibited because of the added pre-x penalties and other costs.  You must pick up a supplement within the six month window of your Medicare B effective date.  If you don't, you probably will have Traditional Medicare only and no supplemental policy to go with it.

Of course with an Advantage Plan, you are free to change to other Advantage Plans during the yearly open enrollment period.  Advantage plans are much more flexible, but once you choose one, you are pretty much stuck with Advantage Plans for your whole life. 

You go on & on about this never being able to go to regular medicare from an advantage plan but I know it isn't true because I know people who have done so. There have been posters here who did so, and said they did in response to your posts.

I NEVER said you could not go from an Advantage Plan to Traditional Medicare.  Every state allows it and there is no problem switching.

The problem that is a biggie is getting a Supplement for that Traditional Medicare.....as you have found out.  There are rules and they are strict....and the supplements will be very expensive for most.

You always seem to fight me when I post anything about health insurance.  I told you that you wouldn't not be wise switching to a HMO from your PPO Advantage Plan...you didn't take my advice and now I have read where you are not happy....your DH was assessed penalties for going out of network and/or not getting a referral too...just as I said.

You personally posted in the past about not being able to go back to Traditional Medicare because of Supplemental problems.

I am only trying to use my experience to help people...including you.  I have serviced Medicare, supplemental and Advantage Plans for almost 25 years.  I know I have more knowledge in this area than you do. I don't claim to know everything and many posters have taught me a thing or two.

I try to be open minded.

You have twisted things I have said in the past. Obviously you sell supplements so you think that anything other than a supplement is horrible. 

Esteemed Contributor

@susielong wrote:

Plan G covers everything Plan F does, except Medicare Part B deductible which is only $183.00. The difference in the premium payment for F and G is around $20.00-$25.00 month, G being cheaper, so when you factor that in Plan G is the better way to go. 

That is very interesting.  I have had Plan F for years which as you know can be expensive. I will check out the difference between F and G.  I also plan to contact Ship this time around to be sure I get the best coverage at what I consider a reasonable cost.

The moving finger writes; And having writ, Moves on: nor all your Piety nor Wit Shall lure it back to cancel half a Line Nor all your Tears Wash out a Word of it. Omar Khayam
Esteemed Contributor

I just want to say one more thing...There are times some us are annoyed by remarks made by other posters, or when the mods decide they don't like what we post (lol). But here today I say we are lucky to have the forums, where we can get information like right now, right here on the Wellness forum.

Thanks to all of you who so generously posted your thoughts and knowledge. All of the posts has given us the opportunity to either learn and/or decide for ourselves which is the best way to go in this trying time of "Open Enrollment", good luck to all of us in choosing a plan for 2019. Heart