Honored Contributor

Re: Puzzled By What Family Doctor Said

@Calgal2too wrote:

Yeah, that's curious.  Unless it's an exposure concern, but if you're masked up, it shouldn't be a problem.  

Only other thing I can think of, is that he feels that pharmacies are overloaded with administering covid shots at the moment?  I don't know what kind of 'traffic' you're experiencing at the moment.   

Is the shingles vaccine still a 2-jab thing?  

My husband got a shingles shot last Thursday. Yes he has to go back for the second shot. I forgot the time frame.

He still has a large red welt on his arm from where he got the shot. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Got my Shingrix at my local Rite Aid last fall.  Most doc offices dont have it in stock. I had to pay 50 for each dose, I have Medicare and a RX supp. if you have Med Part D it is covered 100%

Honored Contributor

The time frame is one dose, next one 2 to 6 months later. 

Honored Contributor

I would personally get the shot at the location of your choosing.  My husband got his first shingles vaccine at Walgreens; 2 months later he had to go see his PCP for something so she gave him the 2nd vaccine just to save him a trip to the pharmacy.  I just had my first at Walgreens too.  There was no charge to us for any of our shots.

Valued Contributor

Sounds to me like he was saying that because of the high level of covid in your city,  to avoid the pharmacy right now.

Honored Contributor

@jubilant   I had my Shingles shots 2 years ago at the Osco Pharmacy.  You may want to call a couple of drug stores and ask what their procedures are for the Shingles shots and if they are separate from people getting COVID shots.  I have no idea what your doctor was talking about and going Orange.  Or, call his office and ask.  Shingles shot is in 2 separate sessions.  If I remember correctly about 2 months apart.

kindness is strength
Honored Contributor

@jubilant @High spike in the virus right now, plus pharmacy is where sick people go, so you would get more chance of exposure. You could wait until there are less cases.

Esteemed Contributor

@Mindy D wrote:

@jubilant @High spike in the virus right now, plus pharmacy is where sick people go, so you would get more chance of exposure. You could wait until there are less cases.

There are sick people at the doctor's office, also, so I don't see the difference. I haven't gotten a shingles shot and will hold off awhile before getting one. The side effects sound bad. 

"The more I learn about people, the more I like my dog."

Mark Twain
Honored Contributor

I got the shingles vax at Walgreens before I went on Medicare and my insurance covered it 100%.

Honored Contributor

Thanks everyone. I just thought it was a little "weird" (as another poster mentioned) that the doctor would talk about me getting a shingle's shot then discourage me from getting itat a pharmacy.  That is why I asked him if it was covid related and he did answer with a yes. He also said he was seeing a lot of sick people and covid is back on the rise.  Still, it was confusing, considering I had to wait 15 minutes in a waiting room with some young man lying on a bench, coughing, with his mask pulled down to his neck!