Honored Contributor

Puzzled By What Family Doctor Said

Our new family doctor mentioned to me that I had not had a shingles vaccine.  He suggested if I decided to get it that I should NOT get my Shingles shot at my local pharmacy right now?  I asked him if it was because of Covid/Delta and he said yes.  He said that today the city would be going to Orange.  

He then told me he had checked with my insurance and they will not pay for it unless I go through the pharmacy.  Someone told me it cost them around $300 so it seems to me the pharmacy is the way to go.  I still can't understand why he would warn me against getting it at our pharmacy???? DH thinks it's all about money.  Has anyone else been told not to get shots at your pharmacy??? 

Trusted Contributor

Re: Puzzled By What Family Doctor Said

My doctor advised me to get the shingles shot AT the pharmacy due to a savings in price.  Even with my insurance, it was quite expensive.

Honored Contributor

@jubilant   That doesn't make any sense to me.  I would get it at the pharmacy.  Just wear a mask.

My doctor told me a couple of weeks ago to go to the pharmacy for my first pneumonia vaccine.  There was a sign up at the pharmacy to wear a mask if you're getting a vaccine, and I did.  So did the pharmacist.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

@jubilant wrote:

Our new family doctor mentioned to me that I had not had a shingles vaccine.  He suggested if I decided to get it that I should NOT get my Shingles shot at my local pharmacy right now?  I asked him if it was because of Covid/Delta and he said yes.  He said that today the city would be going to Orange.  

He then told me he had checked with my insurance and they will not pay for it unless I go through the pharmacy.  Someone told me it cost them around $300 so it seems to me the pharmacy is the way to go.  I still can't understand why he would warn me against getting it at our pharmacy???? DH thinks it's all about money.  Has anyone else been told not to get shots at your pharmacy??? 

@jubilant , I would ask him to elaborate why he feels that way.

My fully vaccinated daughter contracted Covid. I received the call yesterday. She took all precautions, is very healthy, so this variant is probably dangerous. Especially to a heart patient like us.

Let us know what you decide to do...💕

Valued Contributor

I think something changed with vaccines at dr. office.  I was able to get my pneumonia vaccine at dr, but it was time for tetnaus and shingles and they wouldn't do those at the office.  Have to go to pharmacy.  I have friends who use another dr. and given their's in office.  Maybe it's a practice thing?

Respected Contributor

@jubilant wrote:

Call you insurance company/Rx plan if you have one.  Only they can tell you what's covered, what's not covered, best places to go with coverage and cost.  Get name of person you speak with.  I know on my plan it's best to get vaccines at doctor's offices.

Trusted Contributor

Hard to say but you are going to get a lot of speculation for the answers on here.

The best thing would have been to ask the doctor directly or call the office now and your question would be answered. 

Respected Contributor

I have received my shingles, flu, and pneumonia shots all at a local pharmacy through the years.  Maybe you are right-could it be Covid related?

Contributor

Hi There!

Costco pharmacy charges approximately $169. Check it out for yourself. 

That's where I will be going.

Beat of luck !!

Honored Contributor

Some pharmacies, like Kroger Stores, charge the insurance companies a fee for administering a shot.  My insurance won't pay that but I can go across the street to CVS with no problem. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment