Honored Contributor

Re: Puzzled By What Family Doctor Said

@jubilant I'd seriously question the doc about this.

I get ALL my vaccines at my Safeway pharmacy and have for years. My doc's office quit doing vaccines a few years ago and it's easier for me to drive 8 minutes down the street to he pharmacy.

Trusted Contributor

Both my husband and myself get our shots at the pharmacy and yes we got our shingles shots there.  Not sure why he would suggest not getting it there.  Weird. Unless you are high risk maybe.  Where I go they have a separate room you go in.  You could call make an appointment and then you wouldn't be waiting around in the pharmacy.  

Valued Contributor

I had the shingles at the beginning of June, I'm 42 yr old, and was told I cannot get the vaccine until I'm 50. Having shingles was horrible. My mom recently had the shingles vaccine and found that it was less expensive at the pharmacy

Honored Contributor

I got mine at my Publix pharmacy a couple of years ago, so no problem.  However, since I do use my grocery store pharmacy I always walk past said pharmacy when I do my grocery shopping  I don't see that as being any different exposure-wise as getting the shot there. Or, just the fact that you are out and about exposure-wise if you are.  There's rarely ever anybody there getting their covid vaccine either.  Just wear a mask if you're concerned about exposure.

Honored Contributor

I got my shingles vaccinations at Costco before the pandemic started.  There was no cost to me.

Super Contributor

Yeah, that's curious.  Unless it's an exposure concern, but if you're masked up, it shouldn't be a problem.  

Only other thing I can think of, is that he feels that pharmacies are overloaded with administering covid shots at the moment?  I don't know what kind of 'traffic' you're experiencing at the moment.   

Is the shingles vaccine still a 2-jab thing?  

Honored Contributor

I do NOT like the idea of going to a pharmacy for my shots.  Not one bit.  I don't think it is right that anyone has to do that.

Honored Contributor

@Sooner   Why?  Please elaborate. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Regular Contributor

I went to Walgreen's. They had the lowest price.

Check on GoodRx for prices at pharmacies near you. I suggest you call the pharmacy to confirm that they honor that price though. A couple places near me would not.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@jubilant wrote:

Our new family doctor mentioned to me that I had not had a shingles vaccine.  He suggested if I decided to get it that I should NOT get my Shingles shot at my local pharmacy right now?  I asked him if it was because of Covid/Delta and he said yes.  He said that today the city would be going to Orange.  

He then told me he had checked with my insurance and they will not pay for it unless I go through the pharmacy.  Someone told me it cost them around $300 so it seems to me the pharmacy is the way to go.  I still can't understand why he would warn me against getting it at our pharmacy???? DH thinks it's all about money.  Has anyone else been told not to get shots at your pharmacy??? 

@jubilant 

I was in a similar situation with my shingles vaccine.  I don’t think the issue is WHERE you get it, I think the issue is ‘Right Now’, the TIMING.

My immunologist told me to wait 6 months after my Covid shot to get the shingles vaccine.  

Your physician is not going to get any money on it no matter where you get the shot, unless you get it IN his office, which you didn’t mention as an option.

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras