Honored Contributor

Re: Purple vegetables

[ Edited ]

@qbetzforreal wrote:

@SilleeMee wrote:

Speaking of GMO...here's something that most people don't know: all kale, including the organic variety, is a gmo food. Kale is actually the result of years of crossbreeding of cabbages. Same goes for broccoli and cauliflower...we created these veggies.

Oh my, this is not true.  All these vegetable are part of the samesspecies. Brassica oleracea is a plant species that includes many common foods as cultivars, including cabbage, broccoli, cauliflower, kale, Brussels sprouts, collard greens, savoy, kohlrabi, and gai lan.  GMO means its created in lab.

Like tomatoes, eggplant are part of the nightshade species. There purple potatoes indiginous to Peru and Bolivia.

Cabbage is the only one that is naturally occurring in nature. All those others have been created by man. So in essence, they have been genetically modified. Maybe I should have used the word hybridized and not gmo. GMO infers gene splicing.

You are correct @qbetzforreal. I changed my post about kale and gmo.

Honored Contributor

I love purple potatoes, they come from Peru and are naturally purple. My youngest daughter got me hooked on them while she was in Culinary School.

You Don't Own Me- Leslie Gore
(You don't Know) How Glad I Am- Nancy Wilson
Honored Contributor

Re: Purple vegetables

[ Edited ]

Holy misinformation!

The only thing I will throw in here is that I have purchased the mixed color organic carrots in a bag and the purple ones are like rocks and I want to say I could not roast the purple ones at all and they didn't cook in a stew either.

Orange, white, yellow are fine. The purple ones seem to have an issue.  So I no longer buy the multi color in a bag, I just buy them loose without the purple.

Purple and orange cauliflower are awesome roasted, it looks beautiful on the plate.

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Honored Contributor

One of the best explanations I've read on GMO is here at Eating Well magazine.  Also read the "related articles" links to the right.

http://www.eatingwell.com/food_news_origins/organic_natural/gmos_are_they_safe_pros_cons

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Honored Contributor

How to read a food label guide #infographic via www.bittopper.com/post.php?id=1729108821527858091c6112.74682442:

Honored Contributor

First thing I saw was the

typo "Understan(d)ing".

Curse & Blessing I have. =:/

Regular Contributor

@JaneMarple wrote:

I love purple potatoes, they come from Peru and are naturally purple. My youngest daughter got me hooked on them while she was in Culinary School.

Those are good @JaneMarple! Smiley Happy