Respected Contributor

Re: Pumpkin Pie. Save a bunch of calories and just don’t eat the crust.

@Icegoddess wrote:

Mine has a gingersnap pecan crust.  I'm not leaving that on the plate.  

I wouldn't either, sounds delish.

Honored Contributor

I must be the odd one out, becuase ,I have never liked pie crust.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Mindy D

I made a delicious pumpkin pudding using suger free butterscotch jellow, lots of pumpkin pie spice, a cup of pumpkin puree and a cup of almond milk (I can't do dairy).

It was delicious!

My personal preference is a good crust, but....like you, I just don't want the calories.

The pumpkin pudding satisfied my desire for the taste of pie.  And, the pumpkin is good for you!

Esteemed Contributor

@Trinity11 wrote:

@emmysmom wrote:

@Laura14 wrote:

That is so funny!  I am making one tonight for tomorrow's dinner and I had planned to just eat the filling since I don't eat grains anymore.  Good to know! 

My sons' brought me a small piece of pumpkin pie..having diabetes,....I didn't eat the crust. It didn't matter...my bood sugar waa 154 this morning...it has sugar and my body hasn't had any sweetener except stevia for years...what a let down..!Woman Frustrated

Hi @emmysmom. I'm the same way. Desserts mess up my good control. I don't eat desserts of any kind anymore. Simply not worth the aftermath of high blood sugars. Funny, I don't miss them anymore. I think of them like smoking. Just as lethal for some diabetics.

Thanks so much Trinity...it isn't worth it, truly! The pie wasn't good either..Woman LOL

Don't cry for a man who's left you--the next one may fall for your smile.
-- Mae West
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

The crust on Publix pumpkin pie isn’t that great. It’s not like I’m missing a great tasting crust. I’ll admit that foregoing the crust should be much more difficult for me if it was. I do make many kinds of pumpkin pie when I’m in the mood and I used to make killer crusts of all kinds. My favorite homemade crust is gingersnap and it’s the bomb. This, I wouldn’t skip. As for pastry crusts, they never turn out the same since the food police made trans fats a huge health no-no and Crisco changed their recipe to eliminate them. Without the old Crisco, pastry crust is just not the same anymore.

Trusted Contributor

@cherry  I’ve been doing this for years. I bake my pumpkin, using the recipe I use for pie. However I reduce the sugar, slightly increase the spices, and don’t make the crust. It’s delivious!

"I've been here since October 2006. Wow!"
Respected Contributor

I've been making crustless pumpkin pies for years! I'm not a great crust maker (in the first place) and I don't care for pre-fab. Just eliminate that part and enjoy the glorious pumpkin (with real whipped cream).