Esteemed Contributor

Pulse Oximeter readings

[ Edited ]

Finally bought a finger monitor as DH was mildly concerned.  He's had NO issues, but has diminished lung capacity due to smoking.  However, he quit at 40 and is now 64.  Some damage done, but at least he stopped.

We unboxed the PO this morning and he is normal but, after numerous tries, I could not get a reading.  Nothing.  Different fingers, etc.  Nothing.

DH just looked at me and we both laughed.  I have very low blood pressure and pulse rate (daily spinning and years of exercising).   Have no idea why I couldn't get a reading.

I'll look at it again later today, and try to figure it out.

Contributor

If your fingers are cold it will not read. I have to warm up my hands before I use mine. It also has to sit properly on the finger..  Good luck.

Esteemed Contributor

Hope you get it working.  It can be handy, just don't obsess.  Your doctor will let you know when to be more regular.

Honored Contributor

Did you have nail polish on?

Esteemed Contributor

@RetRN 

No polish.  Read all the reasons why I might not get a reading and the only thing I could figure is fingers were rather cold.

I'll try it again later today.

I bought it mostly for DH and his readings were normal (from what I read).

Frequent Contributor

You might consider changing the battery.  Sometimes PO are delivered with old batteries.  That said, if the PO works fine for your husband but not you, this may not be the issue.

I have heard that blood flow is best detected on the left ring finger.

Keep trying.  Good luck.

Respected Contributor

@RetRN wrote:

Did you have nail polish on?

I use 2 every morning , I have COPD, also wear nail polish. I am always good, but I use O2, and it does alert me when I have a slit in my line. I bought two by mistake, other than using 2 AAA batteries, I just do 2 for {because I can}