Respected Contributor

I never gave much thought to keeping my lungs healthy. I am a non smoker and don't live around air polution. But when our friend was diagnosed with Idopathic Pulmonary Fibrosis, I started to read and learn about his diagnosis. 

One poster here offered the information about keeping one's home dust free as it related to an elderly relative. We now use large capacity air purifiers in the bedroom and main living areas. 

I have noticed some "lung cleanse" supplements. Curious if anyone has tried or used? Also mentioned a lot are some propriority supplements that have mainly serrapeptase enzyme and nattokinase. Nattokinase is Rx in canada. 

Should persons of a certain age do breathing exercises?

Thanks to all for you thoughts.

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

Highly recommend Wim Hof Breathing. You also might want to check out 15 Minutes Pranayama Practice/5 Deep Breathing Exercises you should do daily.  The pranayama included in most types of yoga is invigorating as well as balancing.

Breathing exercises are not just for "people of a certain age"...great results especially when incorporated into a total health regime.

Esteemed Contributor

Boy I never thought of any of this. Thanks @granddi  for teaching me and @phoenixbrd  where to go and improve. ❤️

Respected Contributor

@godi wrote:

Boy I never thought of any of this. Thanks @granddi  for teaching me and @phoenixbrd  where to go and improve. ❤️

Google (Idopathic) Pulmonary Fibrosis as it is a terrible disease.

One in every 200 adults over age 65 will be diagnosed with this. It is not necessarily related to smoking. ...Just terrible.

Esteemed Contributor

@granddi 

My Pulmonary system has always been one of my top priorities. I worked for 30+ years in a factory that melted plastics for all types of telephone wires and cables. On the 5,000lb boxes that had 50lb bags in it!  On that 5,000lb box were BIG letters saying: "May be a Cancer Causing Agent".  This was in 1959. Inhaled that for close to 30 years.

Have had both Bacterial and Viral Pneumonia, and the deadly Aspiration Pneumonia with my 1st heart attack. Throw in PE(lung blood clots, twice)! My lungs are badly scarred and I have attended Pulmonary Rehab Classes 2 different times.

In spite of that with working on my aerobic conditioning through many decades, and working to fully recover my Maximum lung capacity, my lungs still can exchange enough oxygen/carbon dioxide, to still have a high level of aerobic capacity.

I have used a Spirometer daily now for over 20 years to help keep that capacity at a high level. Forgot to add that when I broke 4 ribs ice skating last summer, 1 of those ribs punctured my left lung. I spent a total of 3 days in the hospital waiting for that hole to completely close.

I don't know anything about the supplementations you mention, and I will leave that up to others. Will continue my regular aerobic/anaerobic workouts at home, and at the ice rink.

One other thing I have monitored over those years, and the present, is my Oxygen Saturation Levels. Have had several Oximeters over the years and for me it as important device to know more about my Pulmonary function.

hckynut 🇺🇸

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

Much respect @hckynutjohn ....overcoming those 30+ years.  Only high motivation, intent, and actual practice allows you to be here with us on these boards today.  Always appreciate your posts.

Contributor
My husband was diagnosed with IPF one year ago. He had an exacerbation in October and his health has declined rapidly. It is a horrible disease with an equally horrible prognosis. No cure. Only two drugs to slow down the disease. The medication costs $120,000 a year! They do not know how one gets this disease. The lungs basically harden and the individual is unable to breathe even when using oxygen supplement.
Respected Contributor

https://pulmonaryfibrosisnow.org/2020/12/30/new-developments-in-pulmonary-fibrosis/

This site is from the University of California SF. It has lots of good information including online support groups. This is where I found the information for the supplements. 

@Couns1 wrote:
My husband was diagnosed with IPF one year ago. He had an exacerbation in October and his health has declined rapidly. It is a horrible disease with an equally horrible prognosis. No cure. Only two drugs to slow down the disease. The medication costs $120,000 a year! They do not know how one gets this disease. The lungs basically harden and the individual is unable to breathe even when using oxygen supplement.

Honored Contributor

@Couns1   I am so sorry for this diagnosis.  Wish that our tax money was dedicated to research and resolution of incapacitating disease as well as addressing the exorbitant cost of some critical drugs.  How many who are suffering like your husband can afford $120,000 additional income.

Check in with us, there are awesome people on this board who offer support and information.  I'm wishing you peace and hoping that you taking care of yourself as well as your husband during this challenging time.