Honored Contributor

@LTT1*******Thank you.  I can tell you that throughout a lifetime, suffers from these auto immune skin issues do have them move around in location.  

I have a little and have gone from small places in my scalp twenty years ago to the heels of my hand, then on top of the foot, then from there to the heels.

Honored Contributor

@twinkies I love your witch hazel idea...will give that a try for our household as well.my husband always seems to be itchy...Have you ever tried the bleach bath for psoriasis

Respected Contributor

DH, his mother and his sister have/had psoriasis.  DH actually has psoriatic arthritis in his hands wich is a real joy!  He cannot even button a shirt and everything he tries to pick up, he drops.

Anyway, he has tried every cream and compound known.  His trigger spots are his knuckles, elbows and arms and a little on his knees.  What "works" for him is that he keeps the areas moisturized. 

A dermatologist as well as his PCP told him that certain meds will give temporary relief but no cure is available.

For DH, stress really sends him into a flareup.

Good luck to those who suffer with this.

Respected Contributor

I have had psoriasis for 20+ years. It is a tricky disease! I am, thankfully, currently in remission. But, that can change on a dime!

I have found things that work for awhile and they stop working, so I am constantly trying new things. There have been times where I must resort to heavy-duty steroid creams. I remain desperate to keep from ever having to take anything systemic!

The key for me starts with locking in moisture any way that works! I use gentle shower body washes, I use Dove Wintercare year round. When my skin is totally wet I apply Johnson's Baby Oil GEL, one drop at a time into damp skin. If you use too much you end up greasy.

If I need further moisture I use Curel products. My favorite this winter has been the Itch Defense formula.

In the past I have soaked and softened plaques in Pure Olive Oil. It works well and is so good for skin! When I have had break outs, I had at one point, gotten relief from old fashioned Pine Tar Soap.

I take Hyaluronic Acid  capsules (described as Nature's Moisturizer, good for my OA joints and skin) and Tumeric which is good for inflamation. I also take Hair, Skin and Nails vitamins.

Try everything and stay moisturized!  Good Luck!

"Cats are poetry in motion. Dogs are gibberish in neutral." -Garfield
Esteemed Contributor

I will beat this horse until it is good and dead! So many skin conditions, including auto-immune conditions, start with what you put IN your body.

If I had an auto-immune disease, I would first give up gluten in all its forms. My sister had an AI disease, gave up gluten, miraculous results. I also gave up gluten. Gluten wrecks your gut micro biome, which is the basis of whole body health. I east mostly raw, often fermented foods for their probiotic effects. Red wine can also wreak havoc with an AI disease, fortunately, I can still drink it, lol!

Our bodies haven't adjusted through evolution to handle the ****** that everyone wants to sell us today. Go back to real food and your body will love you for it!

No act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted. - Aesop
Honored Contributor

My trainer friend eats a very healthy diet..no alcohol,processed food or gluten.She eats very little meat and grows most of her own vegetables.She is extremely fit and only developed this psoriasis since she started menopause.I think that the hormone change has something to do with it for some reason.

Valued Contributor

No I have not tried the bleach bath for my psoriasis because I also have skin Lupus and I do not want to aggravate that , but I do know that many who have psoriasis and eczema have tried it and have had good results with it .

cathy from ma

Valued Contributor

I have mixed connective tissue disease and psoriatic arthritis , Terrible diseases , Mixed connective tissue disease includes lupus ,sjogrens and r.a..I know his pain , My hans are severely crippeled from Arthritis , There is a group online called].".Inspire Groups Talk Psoriasis" , Where you can get many tips on the disease psoriasis and psoriatic arthritis.

Cathy from ma

Valued Contributor

This may seem odd but I have found this hint to help me with  itching , I take peppermint capsules with fennel and ginger [all in one capsule] on an empty stomack and I take 3 times a day On an EMPTY  stomack and this seems to help calm down the itching , It is a blessig at night because it allows me to sleep . Just a home remedy that works for me.I also take tumeric 2 x a day . Iusually use cerave or cetaphil on my skin at night and sometimes coconut oil. Other products that are good are Vanicream ,Lotions that contain argan oil are good and especially helpful 'Keep your skin moisturized .As far as the peppermint oil capsules Sometimes I take 2 at a time but not always.I also like Dr . woods soaps especially peppermint .

cathy from ma

Respected Contributor

@twinkies

Thank you for the referral to what looks to be a great source of info!

The quest never ends for relief from this "invasive and sneaky" disease!

"Cats are poetry in motion. Dogs are gibberish in neutral." -Garfield