Trusted Contributor

Re: Protein powder recommendations

Designs for Health make a good Pea Protein powder, they have a plain version. I use SunWarrior's (pea/hemp/cranberry protein). I believe they have a plain version, also.

Originally joined board 12-14-2004
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

I don't know anything about this item - but received my coupon book from Costco today - and they have a product called Cytosport 100% Whey Protein Powder. During  March 3 to March 28, there's a coupon in their booklet (can also be ordered on-line) with an $8. discount. They'll have it in vanilla and chocolate. Full price is $39.99.

You could go to their site now and google whey - the chocolate is shown with a full description.

Super Contributor

Thank you all for your replies! I'll be researching those companies. Honestly I had never heard of them before. I'm in a tiny town, with a Walmart..of course, but they only sell a few kinds and they all have one or more of the no's for me.

I apologize for this long reply. Just trying to explain my reasoning.

@sidsmom I mentioned "slacking off of milk" because I chug a 20oz glass right before bed. Sometimes more.

I have an eating disorder. I only eat a few select things. I never stray. Trying new foods makes me anxious, and having panic disorder that's not a good thing, I never know if I'll have a reaction. I eat basically the same things every day. I also deal with low blood sugar. Like clockwork, 2 hrs after eating a "normal" sized meal, as in what those around me would eat, I'm starving. Literally my stomach growls so loud people will turn to look at me. I hate it, always have. I always have food in my bag just incase my blood sugar drops while I'm out. It's very common for me to have a panic attack moments after leaving the house because I fear my blood sugar dropping in public or having a panic attack...which can cause a sharp plumment in blood sugar...in public, so I binge before leaving the house, which makes me mad at myself for doing it. Drinking a protein shake may help me out...I think.

I will ignore hunger pangs until I feel weak, or panicky. I'll eat a little to satisfy my hunger for then. The problem comes at bedtime. Where I don't eat much during the day normally...not so much about gaing weight, now it's about being about to "control" not having a reaction to food, if I don't eat, then I wan't have a reaction...., by my final meal...which can be after being awake for 20 hours due to insomnia...I binge.

Not only because I'm starving, but because if I don't go to sleep with an over full stomach I'll get hungry in 2hrs and wake up having the shakes, which can turn into a panic attack due to hypochondria. I couldn't tell you the number of times I've called my sister because I was in panic so bad I couldn't talk plainly, like shiver talking. As soon as I hang up, after I've calmed down, I instantly have a breakdown because I'm so embarrassed, and I hate my mind. I promise myself I will work through the next time without bugging her with my stupid panic attack, after all she's 4hrs away, has family to deal with and doesn't need me calling at all hours, and I've dealt with this for 33 yrs, certainly I can deal with it myself....right? 

Thus, I chug the milk to get a full feeling. It seems to be the only thing that will fill me up. So, I want to get a protein powder to drink before bed instead of straight milk. It can be whey protein, that's fine. I was just interested in the Naked brand because it was the only one I've ran across that doesn't have odd ingredient's that set my "Robbie the robot" "Danger! Danger!" alarm in my mind off, or things I can't have. I fear food. Both because a lot makes me sick, and I don't want to like something only to have it taken away when I develop a reaction to it.

I want to start exercising again--use it as an after drink--, but I used to be an, "eat a calorie, burn two" person. Part of me really wants to get back at that, the part tells me it's a slippery slope and I'll be back to my teen way of thinking of food; back when I would only eat after school, after starving all day and living off of gum, mints, water, and occasionally a bag of party mix from the vending machine if I could eat in private. I attempted purging, but I could never gag myself. Like, it just didn't work. Whether a finger or toothbrush handle was used, it did make me gag. So starving was the road for me. I was / am still a loner. Ana became a friend. Right now, she's been trying to contact me for a reunion.

Basically, I want something simple to drink that will fill me up, give me much needed nutrients---I don't take any vitamins---, and will be a quick meal so I'm not binging on ******, with no nutrients, because I'm so hungry.

Occasional Contributor

First and foremost......Good luck honey, that is a very scary thing you are going through. I hope you are getting some professional help for this. It is a very lonely disease. I know, I was there.....

Did you speak to your Dr? What does he or she recommend?

I drink Shakeology. Very filling and full of vitamins and probiotics. It is a little pricey I know ,but it is worth it bc of how it makes me feel. I add frozen fruit and some flax milk and it is delicious. Good luck Smiley Happy

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Have you seen your doctor about this?  Can you get a referral to a nutritionist?  Milk has protein in it and fat if it's not skim.  That's why it's more filling than other things.  I think you should consult experts about this because there seem to be a number of things going on, according to your post:  eating disorder, panic attacks, bingeing, confusion about what to eat and how to normalize your diet.

Milk's a healthy food, so I'm not sure you need to cut it out of your diet, especially if it makes you feel better.  A doctor and nutritionist could probably help you to sort this out.

Trusted Contributor

@Ane1Care I first want to offer you support and encouragement for your healing journey. I hope that you are surrounded by support. I admire your dedication to getting healthy. Starting to participate in gentle exercise and nourishing your body afterwards is a great way to go. You are a person of great value, and deserve to take care of yourself.

I enjoy Healthy n Fit (not a typo - a silly spelling) egg white protein. It has only powdered egg whites, stevia, bromelain (an enzyme made from pineapple), and soy lecithin (a teeny amount to help it mix well). I like it with coconut milk which has some healthy fats and sugars, but not too much.

I'm not sure where you are in your process, but my favorite way to consume this is using the coconut milk, some frozen fruit, a blend of healthy oils (even one tablespoon of oil can add a lot of health to your life!), and some green powder (a mix of grasses). It is really delicious and light feeling in the body, but full of nutrition.

Valued Contributor

Another vote for medical quality UNJURY

Beckyblu

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

I've tried many protein powders.  The best tasting to me was BSN Syntha-6.  Vitamin Shoppe sells it, as well as many other places.  I couldn't drink Unjury.  I thought it tasted terrible.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Super Contributor

While not a protein drink, you might consider shakeology. I am partial to the chocolate and add a bit of pb to it. The vanilla is really good to with blueberries! It is pricey but really makes a difference in my energy level...none of the stuff in it that makes one jittery or a racing heart. Tastes great with skim milk or almond milk.

Good luck to you.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@yisbuff2 wrote:

@Ane1Care I first want to offer you support and encouragement for your healing journey. I hope that you are surrounded by support. I admire your dedication to getting healthy. Starting to participate in gentle exercise and nourishing your body afterwards is a great way to go. You are a person of great value, and deserve to take care of yourself.

I enjoy Healthy n Fit (not a typo - a silly spelling) egg white protein. It has only powdered egg whites, stevia, bromelain (an enzyme made from pineapple), and soy lecithin (a teeny amount to help it mix well). I like it with coconut milk which has some healthy fats and sugars, but not too much.

I'm not sure where you are in your process, but my favorite way to consume this is using the coconut milk, some frozen fruit, a blend of healthy oils (even one tablespoon of oil can add a lot of health to your life!), and some green powder (a mix of grasses). It is really delicious and light feeling in the body, but full of nutrition.

@Ane1Care, I agree with what @yisbuff2 so beautifully said. *s*

I think you are being very brave about being so honest about your condition... and especially brave to yourself for being so honest about it. 

@Ane1Care, because of your very strict eating regimen, it occurred to me that you probably are not getting all of the basic nutrients that you need each day. Because of this, I wanted to recommend another Andrew Lessman Procaps Labs protein powder which includes top quality Viitamins and Minerals in it.

Andrew Lessman is the sole owner of his own vitamin manufacturing company and, I think he produces the very highest quailty supplements in the world. -- He has a website at procapslabs and they have a very helpful customer service depatment that can help you figure out what is the best for you. 

While protein powders and supplements are not a substitute for a more comprehensive eating program, I also think it's important to meet you where you are right now and to offer help based on that you are able to do right now. *s*

I just called Procaps Labs and went over the non-whey (from the cow) and not vitamin/mineral ingredients in the protein powder below. They are:

Fructose, Maltodextrin (soluble dietary fiber),  Contains 2 Percent or less of: Natural & Artificial Flavors,  Acesulfame Potassium (non-nutritive sweetener), Natural Beta-Carotene, Sucralose (non-nutritive sweetener), .

As @Ms X and several others have suggested, having your doctor and a nutritionist involved in your journey is really important if you can manage to do it: 

Have you seen your doctor about this?  Can you get a referral to a nutritionist?  Milk has protein in it and fat if it's not skim.  That's why it's more filling than other things.  I think you should consult experts about this because there seem to be a number of things going on, according to your post:  eating disorder, panic attacks, bingeing, confusion about what to eat and how to normalize your diet.

Milk's a healthy food, so I'm not sure you need to cut it out of your diet, especially if it makes you feel better.  A doctor and nutritionist could probably help you to sort this out.

I wish you all the very best on your very brave journey forward. Smiley Happy

-- bebe Smiley Happy

______

Andrew Lessman's Procaps Labs -- flavored whey protein powder with vitamins/minerals

Nutrition FactsServing Size 1 Scoop (18g) 
Amount Per Serving%DV* 
Calories63  
Calories from Fat                  15   
Total Fat1.5 g2%
Saturated Fat                      0 g 0%
Trans Fat                         0 g  
Cholesterol0 mg0%
Sodium30 mg1%
Potassium100 mg3%
Total Carbohydrate7 g2%
Dietary Fiber                      2 g 8%
Sugars                              5 g  
Protein7 g14%
Whey Protein                       7 g  
Vitamin A 10%
Vitamin C 100%
Calcium 25%
Iron 0%
Vitamin D3 100%
Vitamin E 100%
Vitamin B1 50%
Vitamin B2 50%
Niacin 50%
Vitamin B6 50%
Folic Acid 50%
Vitamin B12 200%
Biotin 50%
Pantothenic Acid 50%
Phosphorus 2%
Magnesium 25%
Zinc 8%
Selenium 35%
Copper 0%
Manganese 2%
Chromium 50%
Molybdenum 35%
*Percent Daily Value (%DV) are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.
Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs:

Calories:2,0002,500
Total FatLess than65 g80 g
   Sat FatLess than20 g25 g
CholesterolLess than300 mg300 mg
SodiumLess than2,400 mg2,400 mg
Total Carbohydrate 300 g375 g
Dietary Fiber 25 g30 g
Calories per gram:Fat 9Carbohydrate 4Protein 4

Ingredients:

Instantized Whey Protein Isolate (Non-GMO Whey Protein Isolate and Sunflower Oil), Fructose, Non-dairy Vegetarian Creamer (Trans Fat Free), Maltodextrin (soluble dietary fiber), Calcium Citrate, Calcium Citrate Malate. Contains 2 Percent or less of: Natural & Artificial Flavors, Potassium Citrate, Magnesium Oxide, Calcium Ascorbate, d-alpha Tocopheryl Acetate, Acesulfame Potassium (non-nutritive sweetener), Natural Beta-Carotene, Sucralose (non-nutritive sweetener), Potassium Citrate, Niacinamide, Calcium Pantothenate, Zinc Citrate, Folic Acid, Selenium-Methionine Complex, Cholecalciferol, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Cyanocobalamin (Proprietary Protective B12 Matrix), Thiamin Hydrochloride, Riboflavin, Molybdenum Glycinate, Chromium Nicotinate, Potassium Borate, Biotin, Manganese Citrate, Vanadyl Sulfate. Contains Milk.

Common Allergens:  Milk

Mix one scoop of SECURE WHEY in 6 to 12 ounces of water, juice or non-fat milk. Use more or less liquid to achieve the desired flavor intensity. You can also make a delicious "smoothie" by adding non-fat yogurt, juice, ice and fresh or frozen fruit. SECURE WHEY provides a healthy, low fat and reduced carbohydrate source of protein that fits perfectly into any weight-loss or wellness plan. SECURE WHEY can be used several times daily to replace meals, snacks or dessert, but be sure to consume at least one nutritious meal daily. This product is most effective as part of a healthy diet and active lifestyle, along with one of Andrew Lessman’s multi-vitamin-mineral formulas.

________