Respected Contributor

There is another diagnostic test  for men Apifiny.  The only cancer specific non-PSA blood test that may aid clinicians in the detection of prostate cancer.  They take your blood and ship it overnight to Armune Bioscience and see what your score is.  0-100 if your number is under 59 that is good.   wwwdotarmune.com

Honored Contributor

@Slainte wrote:

The prostate biopsy is very painful so be prepared for that.

My DH several years ago my DH had a rising PSA and came from a family where 3 other brothers had been diagnosed with prostate cancer. The first biopsy came back Gleason 6.  Google Gleason Score for more info, this is how they rate aggressiveness of prostate cancer.

Just a small section of the prostate was cancerous, so we did the "watchful waiting" for a year. PSA continued to rise. Next biopsy same Gleason 6 but more spread. More "watchful waiting" for a year. Third year biopsy (and these biopsies are very painful with complications for my DH) still Gleason 6 but spread to both lobes of prostate,  T2c. At that stage, he decided enough was enough and had the robotic laparoscopic removal of prostate. He'd had enough with the biopsies and uncertainies.

One brother had radiation treatment for his prostate cancer and has had many urinary problems as a result, but that was 20 years ago. The other 2 brothers had surgeries and have done well. My DH has had no recurrance, with PSA checked every year. 

If the Gleason score is greater than 6, treatment needs to be quicker due to the aggressiveness of the cancer.

Hope all goes well with your boyfriend.

Your story sounds very much like ours. Our doctor told my husband he had the slowest growing type of prostate cancer and lets take a more wait and see. Well one month later his gleason score went up rapidly. I was already telling my husband lets just get it out...this visit made up our mind. His was contained thank goodness. He was back at work 11 days later. The doctor thought no way possible would he return for months...well...not my husband...he does better working and keeping his mind occupied.

Best of luck to all going through this...its a scary time...but...you can have life after prostate cancer.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

**Careful... I have caps lock and I am not afraid to use it.**
Honored Contributor

@esmeraldagooch wrote:

There is another diagnostic test  for men Apifiny.  The only cancer specific non-PSA blood test that may aid clinicians in the detection of prostate cancer.  They take your blood and ship it overnight to Armune Bioscience and see what your score is.  0-100 if your number is under 59 that is good.   wwwdotarmune.com

@esmeraldagooch

I still always get a digital exam. Are you saying by getting my PSA blood test and shipping it to a bioscience replace a standard digital exam?

hnj

hckynut(john)
Respected Contributor

@hckynut wrote:

@esmeraldagooch wrote:

@esmeraldagooch

I still always get a digital exam. Are you saying by getting my PSA blood test and shipping it to a bioscience replace a standard digital exam?

hnj

No.  It's just another tool to see if you have markers in your blood for cancer without doing a biopsy.

Super Contributor

One thing you can do is call 1-800-4CANCER.  That will connect you to the closest major cancer center.  You request information regarding the particuler type of cancer (the more specific you are, the better).  They will send you lots of information, for free.  You may get solicited later for a donation, but it is your choice.  The information generally includes items like treatment options, staging, etc.  They are wonderful.

Best of luck.

Trusted Contributor

My prayers are wih you and your husband. I hope all goes well.

Trusted Contributor

Thank you all for the kind, encouraging words and for sharing your own encounter with prostate cancer.  The best part of what everyone shared was the success that you all experienced.  That brings hope that all will turn out well.   I lost my late husband to illness; I really don't want to lose a dear friend.

He is 64 by the way.  I won't be with him at the biopsy procedure, but his son will be there.  Bad thing is he doesnt take pain well.

Trusted Contributor

First off - wishing everyone who has a loved one dealing with this issue all of the best for successful outcomes.

Secondly - for the love of God, why can't they give a man mild anesthesia before the biopsy? They do it for colonoscopies, dental surgery, etc. My husband was traumatized by his biopsy and I think it is barbaric that they do not offer anesthesia for such an invasive procedure in such a tender area.

Respected Contributor

@Calcgirl wrote:

Thank you all for the kind, encouraging words and for sharing your own encounter with prostate cancer.  The best part of what everyone shared was the success that you all experienced.  That brings hope that all will turn out well.   I lost my late husband to illness; I really don't want to lose a dear friend.

He is 64 by the way.  I won't be with him at the biopsy procedure, but his son will be there.  Bad thing is he doesnt take pain well.

Why can't he ask for local anesthesia for this procedure?

My best wishes for your friend!  Big HUGS to you!!!

Honored Contributor

My DH had his prostate removed. He had it removed robotically (is that a word?)  They felt they had got it all but his psa's came back and have been rising. They are waiting for it to get to a certain number, then they can do radiation on just the place they find.   Within the next few months he will be getting radiation.  Maybe someone already said this..... but please know that total removal can cause impotency and loss of bladder control.