Honored Contributor

Re: Progressive Lenses - The Lens

[ Edited ]

@HonnyBrown wrote:

Thanks ladies!  I will have a physical fitting.

Any thoughts on the lenses?

You actually only need to see an optometrist or opthalmologist (MD)  to get an eye exam with field vision test, honeybee.

Just make sure you get a hard copy of your RX, showing both  pupillary distance (PD) numbers.

That way, you can still order glasses online by either faxing or snail-mailing it to the online vendor.

Most of them even let you just type those two numbers on their online order form.

I highly  recommend this wonderful, philanthropic ("Buy 1 Give 1"), reasonably-priced company

https://www.warbyparker.com/

where I purchased my excellent progressive glasses a little over a year ago.

They have a great  variety of styles, colors, and materials; my personal faves are the 'new/revised' retro-hip-cool frames.

Those designs started trending several years ago and just keep getting more popular, if that matters to ya.

You can first try on five (at a time) at home , and then keep doing so until you find your faves!

So you really don't even need to go to any optician in-person.

Two things I recommend, BTW:

* go for comfort  first, especially if you'll be wearing your glasses for long periods of time

* get high-index lenses (about $30 extra) as they're thimmer & more-lightweight

(and a must if your RX is super strong)

HTH

8-)

Esteemed Contributor

Everyone, thank you for the information and tips! Groovy, I checked out the link...great recommendation!

I went to BJ's yesterday and stopped by their optical department.  I ordered my first pair of progressive glasses!  The clerk measured my focal points and told me to come back so she could show me how to use them. A training class for glasses.

I got blue Kenneth Cole frames, similar to the Burberry frames I wanted, and the high definition, high index lenses with all the bells and whistles.

Also, between my union reimbursement and insurance reimbursement, they are covered 100%!

Get your flu shot...because I didn't.
Esteemed Contributor

I went to BJ's Wholesale at lunch to get gas and stopped in to pick up my glasses.  I had my contacts in, so I did not do the training.

Fast forward to this evening, I put the glasses on.  I was surprised: no adjustment whatsoever!

And, I wear them well!

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

Nice to hear good news, honeybeeSmiley Happy

Honored Contributor

@HonnyBrown wrote:

I did not want to hijack Frosted's thread, hence this one.

There are so many types of lenses for progressives!  I know that I am interested in the hi-index, but even these are digital, comfort, corridors, etc.  These will be my first pair of progressive lens glasses, so I am kind of at a loss.

I plan on ordering the glasses and lenses online because my eye doctor doesn't carry the frames I want.

A proper fit of your glasses is always important but even more so with progressive lenses. For that reason I can't encourage you more to not go with ordering glasses online. Very bad idea, IMO and our eye doctor agrees with me. As a matter of fact he enthusiastically agrees with me. Glasses can't be properly fit until they are actually on your face, and the optomitrist adjusts them while your wearing them.

Esteemed Contributor

151949, since I had my contacts in when I picked up the glasses, the optometrist made the adjustments and had me close my eyes.

I've been wearing them ever since!  I'm fine reading, driving and going down stairs.