Esteemed Contributor

Re: Procedures for Lumpectomy

After the first lumpectomy, I have only had locals for all the rest of the surgeries. It's a must better way to go IF your surgeon will agree to it and if you are able to tolerate it. I leave the hospital much quicker because there is no problem with anesthesia or its complications. I began doing that in the early 1980's and did it for six years. Worked like a charm for me. Radiation was the only treatment following. No problems since. 

Money screams; wealth whispers.
Honored Contributor

I have 2 friends who had to go back for a second lumpectomy, first margins were not clear enough.

Honored Contributor

That is the very reason I opted for mastectomy and not a lumpectomy. I wanted the nasty thing out of my body and not  have to go thru all that again if the margins weren’t clear. I wanted to start chemo ASAP and get it over. 

Valued Contributor

I also had to go in for another surgery because 3 of my margins were clear and one was not.  I was told this before the surgery just in case.  My doctor explained it as the cancer and margins are checked while in surgery but what is sent to the lab is gone through like a fine tooth comb.  says they slice it so thin to make sure there is no sign of cancer.  I didn't mind going back in the doctor went through the same incision and it was a very short surgery.  Better to make sure everything is clear.

Super Contributor

I am wondering if it has to do with the hospital and their individual protocols.  It is not breast cancer I am talking about, but I know a man that had melanoma on his head, and there was no pathologist in the O.R.  He was kept at the hopsital all day, and brought back to the O.R several times until they got clean margins.  It was a ridiculous way to handle things for this man.  Conversely, I had malignant lesion removed from my face, nothing as serious as this man was dealing with, and there was a pathologist in the O.R.  Frozen sections were done at the time as well.  The man was at a Kaiser hospital, while I was at a different hospital.  I was also under a general anesthesia while the man was under local anesthesia.  I have always wondered why our care was so different.

Respected Contributor

@GraceLady wrote:

I am wondering if it has to do with the hospital and their individual protocols.  It is not breast cancer I am talking about, but I know a man that had melanoma on his head, and there was no pathologist in the O.R.  He was kept at the hopsital all day, and brought back to the O.R several times until they got clean margins.  It was a ridiculous way to handle things for this man.  Conversely, I had malignant lesion removed from my face, nothing as serious as this man was dealing with, and there was a pathologist in the O.R.  Frozen sections were done at the time as well.  The man was at a Kaiser hospital, while I was at a different hospital.  I was also under a general anesthesia while the man was under local anesthesia.  I have always wondered why our care was so different.

I was wondering the same thing @GraceLady.  Maybe it's the hospital's policy. 

Honored Contributor

I was given the lumpectomy option for my breast cancer, too,  and all the procedures were given to me at what the risks were to both lump/mast before I even was scheduled for surgery, so I fully knew what to expect. I just didnt want to have the surgery, recover and heal up from that then go back for the same thing again, plus taking more skin--and then think about a possible recon to it and going thru all that again. Must be a hospital thing---I went to one of the best cancer centers in WA state so that was their way of doing things. I also had the non cancer breast removed in 2016 so am very happily flat as a pancake with NO reconstruction planned. And the best thing-----NO mammos either!!!!!

Valued Contributor

WA girl I remember when you were diagnosed and I live in WA too.  I know the hospital you went to and it is a great hospital.  I went south and had a great surgeon, radiologist oncologist and oncologist.  We do have very good care in this part of the country.  I know reconstruction is painful and I think if I had a mastectomy I wouldn't of had reconstruction done either.  Each woman does what's best for her. 

Honored Contributor

A friend of mine had a lumpectomy in both breasts 1 year apart.

Both times tissue was sent to pathology while she was in surgery and when the surgeon was told he had clear margins, her surgery was over. 

However, the surgeon explained that the removed tissue was still sent to the lab for more in depth testing and it was possible more surgery would be needed.  In her case, it wasn't necessary either time.

A few years ago I had a uterine mass removed.  It was sent to pathology and we were all told it was a benign fibroid.  However, it was further more deeply analyzed by a lab so when I went for my follow-up, they confirmed it was a benign fibroid. 

Respected Contributor

@Winkk wrote:

I know two ladies who have had lumpectomies.  They go into the hospital and it is a day procedure.  The surgeon takes out the tissue that is infected and the ladies went home.  Then they have to wait until the test results come back to see if the surgeon got clean margins.  If not, then they have to do it all over again another day. 

I wonder why they can't test the tissue during the first procedure?  It seems very expensive and stressful the way this has been handled.  When I had cancer surgery there was a pathologist in the OR so the surgeon knew when she had it all. 

I was wondering if this is standard procedure for lumpectomies?

I know exactly what you're talking about.  Many years ago, my husband had a Moh's procedure.  It was done in the office/procedure room.  The doctor set aside one day a week to do only this.  You go in, have the procedure but don't leave.  You have to wait in the waiting room because he will check the margins right then and there.  If margins aren't clean, he'd bring you in again and keep repeating till clean.  But, thankfully, my husbands were clean and it was one and done.  Fast forward to 2015, my Mom was diagnosised with Stage 1 breast cancer.  She went to Sloan Kettering for lumpectomy.  They got it all but she had to go back because the margins weren't clean.  They were sent to a lab and it took awhile to get the results.  She had to go back and go through the whole surgical process again which was not easy on her, she was at the time in her late 70's.  Never understood why such a prestigous hospital such as Sloan can't look at the margins when it's being done.