Honored Contributor

Re: Problems of Vitamin D deficiency in older people

Alternate Light Source

Daily exposure to appropriate levels (even just 10 to 30 minutes a day) of direct sunlight can boost vitamin D3 levels which can help improve your mood. If you have a hard time getting enough natural light during the winter, consider buying a vitamin D lamp for your home or work desk. Though many artificial light boxes claim to do the job, make sure to purchase one that’s as close as possible to the natural sunlight spectrum and proven to increase vitamin D levels.

Respected Contributor

@colliemom4 wrote:

My doctor advised me to take vitamin D but it causes my stomach to hurt. So now I am trying to get it though my diet and hope that works.

@colliemom4

Try sitting in the sun each day for about 20 minutes.  This is the most effective way to get vitamin D.  16x16_heart.png

Respected Contributor

I have had my D levels check for the last 9 yrs....I was rather low below 20...then I got it up to 30 taking the prescription stuff for several months back then.  I then went on D3 supplements and that works best and is so easy for me.  I wish all pills or supplements were that tiny to swallow!  My levels now have ranged from the high 60's to 92 at my last check up.  Doctor said I could back it down on the D3.  I also take calcium citrate magnesium and k2.  I began this once I found out I have osteopenia.  

I also avoid sun exposure....I have rosacea and am very fair.  I burn easily...get prickly heat rash and sun poisoning rash.  The sun and I just don't get along!  Plus I live in a northern climate....the last few days have been so dark out all day long...almost no sunshine...and rain.  That's pretty much how the next 6 months are gonna be around my neck of the woods.  

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Problems of Vitamn D deficiency in older people

@Hooty try liquid vit D.  It works for me.

Honored Contributor

Re: Problems of Vitamn D deficiency in older people

@Snoopp, Wow, I had no idea there was such a thing, thanks for the tip, can you find it at most drugstores?

Honored Contributor

@novamc1  I was at my Dr today ,and she told me to take 2000 units of Vitamin D everyday