Honored Contributor

Re: Problems of Vitamin D deficiency in older people

It goes without saying you need sun. That is why I don't make enough. I avoid the sun, and I said so  read  it an learn

Honored Contributor

@sidsmom wrote:

@cherry wrote:

@Trinity11you are right

snip from Yale medicine

How do you get vitamin D?

The short answer is from food, the sun or supplements.

There are two main kinds of vitamin D—vitamin D2 and vitamin D3—which you can get from (and occur naturally in) certain foods like salmon, tuna, mackerel and beef liver and egg yolks. But because we don’t consume large enough quantities of these foods, they can’t be our sole source of vitamin D. That’s why foods like milk, cereal and some orange juices are vitamin D2- and D3-fortified. (Since the 1930s, manufacturers have voluntarily enriched these foods with vitamin D to help reduce the incidence of nutritional rickets.)

When exposed to the sun, your skin can manufacture its own vitamin D. “We each have vitamin D receptor cells that, through a chain of reactions starting with conversion of cholesterol in the skin, produce vitamin D3 when they’re exposed to ultraviolet B (UVB) from the sun,” says Yale Medicine dermatologist David J. Leffell, MD, chief of Dermatologic Surgery 

Another avenue to get vitamin D is by taking supplements. These come in both pill and liquid form. They are generally recommended for people with fat absorption issues, lactose intolerance, milk allergies, as well as for people with darker skin tones or with certain medical conditions that prevent them from going outdoors. 

Unfortunately you can’t manufacture your own Vitamin D unless

it’s exposed to an outside source.  -Your- article clearly says that. 

Key words:

Food, sun, supplements in the short answer

’enriched’

’exposed to UVB

Sun

Your body will absorb those methods, hang out & use when needed.

We don’t ‘make’ vitamin D. Read the article. Learn. 

Human skin can make large amounts of vitamin D when lots of skin is exposed and the sun is high in the sky. Your body is designed to get the vitamin D it needs by producing it when your bare skin is exposed to sunlight. The part of the sun's rays that is important is ultraviolet B (UVB).

So YES we can make Vitamin D.

Honored Contributor

@cherry wrote:

It goes without saying you need sun. That is why I don't make enough. I avoid the sun, and I said so  read  it an learn

Exactly @cherry!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I should try to drink OJ, but it just tares my stomach up. I have drank a cup of milk for the last 2 days, but I don't think I can  drink enough, to get my numbers where they need to be...I will probably have to take

rx doses of it ,once again

Respected Contributor

@QueenDanceALot wrote:

My understanding is that supplementation should be done with the D3 form of Vitamin D as it is the most bioavailable form and that it needs to be taken with a good source of fat as it is a fat soluble vitamin.

Additionally, vitamin K2 should be adequate while taking vitamin d3.

Very Important information

Honored Contributor

@cherry wrote:

I should try to drink OJ, but it just tears my stomach up. I have drank a cup of milk for the last 2 days, but I don't think I can  drink enough, to get my numbers where they need to be...I will probably have to take

rx doses of it ,once again

@cherryI started on Vitamin D3 last year and within 6 months I had a kidney stone. My urologist blames it on the D and I was pulled off it. My numbers are way below normal but both my cardiologist and urologist don't want me taking it.

I eat salmon 3 times a week and am trying to get a little bit of sun more often. Can't win sometimes..

Honored Contributor

I have a question...

How do you get enough vitamin D if you have malabsorption and live in a place that has less sunlight? Can they give it to you in an I.V. or what?

Honored Contributor

@granddi wrote:

@QueenDanceALot wrote:

My understanding is that supplementation should be done with the D3 form of Vitamin D as it is the most bioavailable form and that it needs to be taken with a good source of fat as it is a fat soluble vitamin.

Additionally, vitamin K2 should be adequate while taking vitamin d3.

Very Important information

D3 is SUPPOSED to stay in your system longer, but I did not find that in my esperience.  My prescription is D2, my OTC is D3.  When I went off my prescription, I upped my OTC to 8000/day which would've gotten me close to the 50,000/week prescripton plus the 4000/day 6 days a week.  My levels dropped and the fatigue returned.

Honored Contributor

@SilleeMee  I don't know if one of those lights you set at, for seasonal depression would work? 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@cherry wrote:

@SilleeMee  I don't know if one of those lights you set at, for seasonal depression would work? 

Oh that might work. I'll have to look into that. It would have to be a light that gives off UVB. @cherry

Like a 'grow light'.