Super Contributor

Re: Problems of Vitamin D deficiency in older people

I had my vitamin D tested back in March or April and it came back a 14.  My Rheumatologist put me on 50,000 IU twice a week for 6 months.  She wants my level to be around 50.  I cannot get my blood retested until next year and have my insurance pay for it so now that I am done with the 6 month's supply, she wants me to take 5,000 IU daily.  

As a side note, all my friends told me I would feel better almost immediately but I feel no better or no less fatigued than before.  I have an auto-immune condition so I guess the fatigue is just something I am going to have to get used to.

Honored Contributor

@cherry wrote:

As we age our skin doesn't make D like it does when we are younger..@ novac, my D level is 25. I guess It is time for  D again..I will talk to my Dr when I get my B12 shot..Since my thyroid went wonky, so did my vitamin levels

Humans don’t ‘make’ Vitamin D.

We can acquire it through different means..but ‘inactive’.

(wiki)

Vitamin D from the diet or skin synthesis is biologically inactive;

enzymatic conversion (Hydroxylation) in the liver and kidney

is required for activation. As vitamin D can be synthesized

in adequate amounts by most mammals exposed to

sufficient sunlight, it is not an essential dietary factor,

and so not technically a vitamin.

Honored Contributor

However we aquire it ,it  comes  via  our skin ,if you don't take it internally.  I avoid the sun ,I am very fair ,and skin cancer is not for me

Honored Contributor

@cherry wrote:

However we aquire it ,it  comes  via  our skin ,if you don't take it internally.  I avoid the sun ,I am very fair ,and skin cancer is not for me

You were right...humans DO make vitamin D @cherry.

Honored Contributor

@Trinity11you are right

snip from Yale medicine

How do you get vitamin D?

The short answer is from food, the sun or supplements.

There are two main kinds of vitamin D—vitamin D2 and vitamin D3—which you can get from (and occur naturally in) certain foods like salmon, tuna, mackerel and beef liver and egg yolks. But because we don’t consume large enough quantities of these foods, they can’t be our sole source of vitamin D. That’s why foods like milk, cereal and some orange juices are vitamin D2- and D3-fortified. (Since the 1930s, manufacturers have voluntarily enriched these foods with vitamin D to help reduce the incidence of nutritional rickets.)

When exposed to the sun, your skin can manufacture its own vitamin D. “We each have vitamin D receptor cells that, through a chain of reactions starting with conversion of cholesterol in the skin, produce vitamin D3 when they’re exposed to ultraviolet B (UVB) from the sun,” says Yale Medicine dermatologist David J. Leffell, MD, chief of Dermatologic Surgery 

Another avenue to get vitamin D is by taking supplements. These come in both pill and liquid form. They are generally recommended for people with fat absorption issues, lactose intolerance, milk allergies, as well as for people with darker skin tones or with certain medical conditions that prevent them from going outdoors. 

Honored Contributor

@sidsmom wrote:

Vitamin D synthesis (one of the ways) is based on the

color of the skin..not the dryness or texture of the skin.

I really want to think it is a factor, but doesn’t make sense.

I believe the synthesis is well below the epidermis.

Perhaps with the oil in the skin being a conduit.

But, hey, I like to think outside the box. We learn new things every day! 

Honored Contributor

@cherry wrote:

@Trinity11you are right

snip from Yale medicine

How do you get vitamin D?

The short answer is from food, the sun or supplements.

There are two main kinds of vitamin D—vitamin D2 and vitamin D3—which you can get from (and occur naturally in) certain foods like salmon, tuna, mackerel and beef liver and egg yolks. But because we don’t consume large enough quantities of these foods, they can’t be our sole source of vitamin D. That’s why foods like milk, cereal and some orange juices are vitamin D2- and D3-fortified. (Since the 1930s, manufacturers have voluntarily enriched these foods with vitamin D to help reduce the incidence of nutritional rickets.)

When exposed to the sun, your skin can manufacture its own vitamin D. “We each have vitamin D receptor cells that, through a chain of reactions starting with conversion of cholesterol in the skin, produce vitamin D3 when they’re exposed to ultraviolet B (UVB) from the sun,” says Yale Medicine dermatologist David J. Leffell, MD, chief of Dermatologic Surgery 

Another avenue to get vitamin D is by taking supplements. These come in both pill and liquid form. They are generally recommended for people with fat absorption issues, lactose intolerance, milk allergies, as well as for people with darker skin tones or with certain medical conditions that prevent them from going outdoors. 

Unfortunately you can’t manufacture your own Vitamin D unless

it’s exposed to an outside source.  -Your- article clearly says that. 

Key words:

Food, sun, supplements in the short answer

’enriched’

’exposed to UVB

Sun

Your body will absorb those methods, hang out & use when needed.

We don’t ‘make’ vitamin D. Read the article. Learn. 

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

Vitamin D is not a vitamin, but a hormone, and it is made by the body via a chemical reaction.

Dr. KittyLouGoogleCat LOL

Honored Contributor

@QueenDanceALot wrote:

Vitamin D is not a vitamin, but a hormone, and it is made by the body via a chemical reaction.

That’s true....it is a hormone.

But there has to be ‘point of entry’, so to speak.

Sun, fortified foods, supplements....

That would explain why the northern/outer parts of the hemisphere

has a harder time assimilating this ‘vitamin’ due to lesser amount

of sun. And that is why you can gain much of your VitD needs during

the summer to react in the winter months. 

Honored Contributor

@sidsmom wrote:

@QueenDanceALot wrote:

That’s true....it is a hormone.

But there has to be ‘point of entry’, so to speak.

Sun, fortified foods, supplements....

That would explain why the northern/outer parts of the hemisphere

has a harder time assimilating this ‘vitamin’ due to lesser amount

of sun. And that is why you can gain much of your VitD needs during

the summer to react in the winter months. 

And what is also true is that it is made by the body via a chemical reaction.

Which was my only point.

Cat Happy