Honored Contributor

Re: Problems of Vitamin D deficiency in older people

@SilleeMee wrote:

I think most people know this already, but you need to ingest adequate amounts of calcium for healthy bones and teeth. You need the vitamin D for the body to absorb the calcium. It's not necessary to take them at the same time.

My doctor specifically recommended Calcium Citrate.  It's better absorbed with fewer problems (constipation).  Regrettably, it also is not available in any chewable form.  Also, Calcium needs magnesium to best be used by our bones instead of just getting (and staying) in the bloodstream.  Most calcium supplements these days also contain magnesium, but they also usually contain D3.  That's something to be considered if you're already taking a D supplement.  Because I have difficulty swallowing even the petite calcium citrate supplements and I aldready take D supplements,  I chose to go with a powdered form of calcium citrate and a powdered form of magnesium with no added D supplement.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@pupwhipped wrote:

I know none of you are medical experts here, but can you tell me what your targeted level of Vit. D is? Maybe your doctor has said what level is optimum. Thanks for any thoughts. Just curious.

@pupwhipped

I go by this chart.

vitamin-d-levels-chart-25-hydroxy-d-optimal-deficient-cancer-excess-ng-ml.gif

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

re:  So-called  normal ranges when tested for Vitamin D sufficiency......

I have asked to have this tested during my last few physicals...

Shown below are  the latest results copied from my chart  that the doctor posts online versus  what is considered "normal range" posted on the right side of the image.

I take a multivitamin and Vitamin D tablets at various times --from a few to several times a week.  I have fair skin and a lot of Scandinavian heritage so I have to avoid sun, but can't do it entirely, of course.

Also, I've seen reports indicating that older people do not process sunlight Vitamin D as well as younger people, so supplements of  at least 800 units per day are recommended..  (My amateur guess is that old skin might be  lacking the oils or moisture that require good  Vit D synthesis from the sun---but whadda I no?

My test results versus "normal range" listed on the right side.

VIT D,25-OH53 ng/mL30 - 100 ng/mL
HIGH DOSES OF BIOTIN TAKEN WITHIN 8 HOURS OF BLOOD COLLECTION MAY INTERFERE WITH THE RESULTS OF THIS ASSAY
Respected Contributor

I have been Vitamind D deficient for over 10 years and have been receiving treatment for it- Yes, I live in southern Calfornia and I am out doors for at least a couple hours every day as I sell commercial trucks, and they are kept  outside!

I am now up to 5 50,000 IU Vitamin D (ergocalciferol) per DAY!! YES, that is 250,000 IUs a DAY!  and I am still not in clinical levels - Of course I started out with 2 50,000 IU  capsles per week, then 3 times a week , then every day, and now this is what I am up to...

Additionally, I now take 50,000 IUs of DRY vitamin D/day, just in case it is absorbed better and might raise my levels..

crazy, huh?

Honored Contributor

5A17B3AB-4DF6-4E5E-B2D6-5F9F62A2B0D5.jpeg

96C5DAF2-F751-4D6A-A2F8-744BB95EF65A.jpeg

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

My understanding is that supplementation should be done with the D3 form of Vitamin D as it is the most bioavailable form and that it needs to be taken with a good source of fat as it is a fat soluble vitamin.

Additionally, vitamin K2 should be adequate while taking vitamin d3.

Honored Contributor

@novamc1 wrote:

re:  So-called  normal ranges when tested for Vitamin D sufficiency......

I have asked to have this tested during my last few physicals...

Shown below are  the latest results copied from my chart  that the doctor posts online versus  what is considered "normal range" posted on the right side of the image.

I take a multivitamin and Vitamin D tablets at various times --from a few to several times a week.  I have fair skin and a lot of Scandinavian heritage so I have to avoid sun, but can't do it entirely, of course.

Also, I've seen reports indicating that older people do not process sunlight Vitamin D as well as younger people, so supplements of  at least 800 units per day are recommended..  (My amateur guess is that old skin might be  lacking the oils or moisture that require good  Vit D synthesis from the sun---but whadda I no?

My test results versus "normal range" listed on the right side.

VIT D,25-OH53 ng/mL30 - 100 ng/mL
HIGH DOSES OF BIOTIN TAKEN WITHIN 8 HOURS OF BLOOD COLLECTION MAY INTERFERE WITH THE RESULTS OF THIS ASSAY

@novamc1

I find your "amateur thought" to be very interesting and also very plausible, considering VItamin D is fat soluble.  I have never read anything about skin oil content to be a consideration.  But it makes a lot of sense to me.

Honored Contributor

Vitamin D synthesis (one of the ways) is based on the

color of the skin..not the dryness or texture of the skin.

I really want to think it is a factor, but doesn’t make sense.

I believe the synthesis is well below the epidermis.

Honored Contributor

As we age our skin doesn't make D like it does when we are younger..@ novac, my D level is 25. I guess It is time for  D again..I will talk to my Dr when I get my B12 shot..Since my thyroid went wonky, so did my vitamin levels

Honored Contributor

My cardiologist told me to take 5000 units of D3 a day, which I have done anyway. I live in WA state where the sun doesn't shine much most the year. Am 64.