Respected Contributor

Problems of Vitamin D deficiency in older people

[ Edited ]
Respected Contributor

Re: Problems of Vitamn D deficiency in older people

@novamc1 wrote:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3501367/

@novamc1

Thanks so much for sharing this important study.  When I went off Oxycodone, I went off of it too fast.  This was followed by many sleepness nights.  I started taking vitamin D and sat in the sun for at least 20 minutes daily.  My sleeplessness went away and I now feel much better!

Honored Contributor

Re: Problems of Vitamn D deficiency in older people

I have a Vitamin D deficiency, but taking Vitamin D pills does not agree with me.  I live in the South, so the summer months are too hot to sit out in the sun, but I come cooler temps, I plan to sit for a certain time in the sun, unfortunately today is cloudy and raining!

Honored Contributor

Re: Problems of Vitamin D deficiency in older people

I have i,t and was put on massive doses ,of perscription vit D...SO far, my bones and teeth are ok, but, I am determined to try to put more dairy in my diet

Honored Contributor

I have a Vitamin D deficiency also.  Started out great this spring.  Sat outside in the sun 30 minutes a day as often as possible.  Then came all the rains of this past summer, so I've had to up my vitamin intake.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

During the warmer months I take long walks in the sun and I avoid applying sunscreen on my lower arms and legs to expose those areas to the sun while I walk. I also take D supplements...5,000 units daily. I don't eat dairy so I need to take that much. Plus I am at risk for osteoporosis because of my malabsorption and I live north of the 37th parallel.

PMC4093346_jadp-03-249-g04.png

Esteemed Contributor

Due to diabetes and epilepsy, I've been on Vitamin D for decades. Have been an epileptic since shortly after birth. The anti-seizure meds deplete Vitamin D levels. I feel so much better in the warm, sunny months. Even though I'm always taking Vitamin D, it's not the same as the natural thing derived from the sun. The short days during the winter months are always difficult for my health issues (including Lupus).

Money screams; wealth whispers.
Respected Contributor

I was tested last May, and my level was actually a little too high!  Several years ago when I was tested it was at the lower level of normal, so I started taking a 2,000 mg tablet of Vit. D in the morning, and another in the evening.  Since I live in NE Ohio, I get a lot of sun in the summer from jogging, so I have to cut back a little on the pills.  There's no such thing as sun around here in the winter, but I can still keep my D up with just the supplements when it's gloomy (I still go outside to jog, though!).  I'm going to be 70 next month, so it can be done at any age.

Laura loves cats!
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@SilleeMee  I'm right there with you.  We do not consume dairy, so I'm conscious of getting 20 minutes of sun if possible.  I am not big on supplements as we live an organic vegan whole foods life style.  However, we do supplement with Deva Vegan Vitamin D 2400 IU (inexpensive and excellent quality).  

Honored Contributor

There are many food products that have extra Vitamin D included.

I do take the tablets myself, but I also buy Vitamin D fortified items when I can.