Esteemed Contributor

Do you take either prebiotics and/or probiotics?

Is stronger better?

What brands do you prefer?

I'm considering incorporating one or both in to my diet, and was looking for advice.

Any advice both + and - your experiences would be greatly appreciated.

TIA!

The Sky looks different when you have someone you love up there.
Valued Contributor

Re: Probiotics and Prebiotics

I have been taking probiotics for a few years.

It is the strains of the probiotics in the supplement that I look at rather than stronger.

I essentially take two different versions--I take the women's probiotics that is at Trader joe's and I also drink the Kevita sparkling probiotic drinks.

Each person responds differently to them and I spoke to my doctor prior to starting these.

I hope that things work out for you.

Honored Contributor

I eat food which contains both. I don't take the supplements.

Esteemed Contributor

Prebiotics are just food, especially fiber rich ones.  Would not waste money buying something special.

Honored Contributor

I usually take some when I am on a course of anti biotics and then eat yogurt too. ---but otherwise what I eat has alot of the probiotics. Just remember that if you take the pro b's, you need to take it in the BILLIONS like 50 billion for it to do much good. Or at least that is what I have been told.  Have heard the drs think probotics is really not the miracle it is made out to be---but drs poo-poo much of that type of stuff anyway. I don't have a specific brand. 

Super Contributor

I have been taking Align Dual Prebiotic + Probiotic gummies for quite a while- 1 billion CFUs.

I really like them and think they have made a big difference (but it might just be my imagination/placebo effect LOL).

(BTW Align also has a new one that includes the same but  includes cranberry for urinary tract health labeled "Womens Health")

align.jpg

Info shows:

Style: Dualbiotic

• DUAL BENEFIT OF PREBIOTICS+PROBIOTICS.Align Gummies support digestive health in 2 ways: They contain a prebiotic fiber, Inulin, to help nourish good bacteria in digestive system and the probiotic, Bacillus Coagulans, which adds more good bacteria in your gut
  • THE #1 DOCTOR RECOMMENDED PROBIOTICS BRAND. Among doctors that recommended a brand of probiotic in a QuintilesIMS 2017 survey.
  • GREAT-TASTING AND CONVENIENT. Align Prebiotic + Probiotic Gummies taste great, are easy to chew, and don’t require water to take. They’re the good-for-you supplement that you’ll actually look forward to taking!
  • NATURAL FRUIT FLAVORS AND <1G OF SUGAR. Some gummies claim to support your health but are loaded with sugars and artificial colors. Align Gummies are naturally flavored and contain less than 1g of beet sugar per gummy.
  • THERE'S MORE TO PROBIOTICS THAN JUST MORE CFU’S. Align Prebiotic + Probiotic Gummies contain 1 Billion CFUs – the effective dosage of our probiotic strain to support your digestive health.

I also drink a little Blueberry Kefir everyday before bed  (Lifeway brand - in the grocery store by the yogurt) - it has 12 probiotic cultures (and makes me sleep!)

Hmmm looking through this now no wonder my gut feels so yaba-daba-doo! good lol.

kefir.jpg

Lactobacillus Lactis
Lactobacillus Rhamnosus
Streptococcus Diacetylactis
Lactobacillus Plantarum
Lactobacillus Casei
Saccharomyces Florentinus
Leuconostoc Cremoris
Bifidobacterium Longum
Bifidobacterium Breve
Lactobacillus Acidophilus
Bifidobacterium Lactis
Lactobacillus Reuteri

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I took the Align Prebiotc and Probiotic Gummies -pictured in the post above mine.

I'll just be blatantly blunt.  They made me horribly constipated and I had to stop taking them. 

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Honored Contributor

@Anonymous032819 I never heard of any of these back in the 80's.  When I lived in California what I loved is the women in the law firm i worked at would take Acidophillis (you find this in yogurt and it's the good bacteria to clear up yeast infections or other problems of that nature.  I actually bought a bottle and drank some (it's horrible) but my problem cleared up overnight. It is also in tablet form but takesa little longer to heal something.   California is way ahead of the rest of the country when it comes to healthy alternatives. This was in the late 80's and essential oils were very popular.  It took a while to get to the Midwest but finally did after 5 years from the time I moved to SF and back to iL.  I believe in taking what you are talking about only when you need it.  I am all for a multi vitamin daily but the rest can wait until I need it. When you have to take antibiotics it is good to either eat yogurt daily or take Acidophillis tablets or probiotics to get the good bacteria back in your body.  I talked too loong.  LOL

kindness is strength
Respected Contributor

I don't believe in taking these supplements. I did a one month course of probiotics and it made no difference in my life whatsoever. I'll let my body figure out it's own microbiome rather than using pills to try and establish it.

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

I've taken probiotics for many years.  It's helpful to find a brand that suits your particular medical condition or goals.  Florastor is specific for my needs.  It is a yeast-based probiotic.  I think all the others are bacteria-based.  You can't take the bacteria-based probiotics at the same time of day as antibiotics. They negate each other. But yeast-based is ok to take along with antibiotics.

Probiotics are important for achieving or maintaining good gut health.  Poor gut health is the basis for most diseases and illnesses. I recommend you do your research rather than just taking a recommendation from someone here.

Wear a mask. Social distance. Be part of the solution - not part of the problem.